Anyone prepped for plumbing?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brent S

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Had a pipe burst today, luckily it was outside and didn't flood the house. I have a lot of plumbing and electrical supplies out in the workshop, but half the time I am missing a piece to finish the job and have to make a hardware trip. Tonight I got lucky and was able to cap the broken line and keep water flowing inside. My can of PVC glue was old and was really thick, but I soaked the can in a bowl of warm water and it was just enough to glue on a cap. Well, the point of this is my next trip to the hardware store will be getting a good emergency plumbing kit. I'll get caps for assorted sizes, a couple small cans of glue, some compression fittings with caps, etc. prepping isn't just about storing food, water and camping supplies, it's trying to be as prepared as you can for any form of emergency. I'll start thinking more about a household fix kit.

This is a good idea. I will have to measure a few pipes around my house and get a variety of pipes to have, just in case an issue arises. i dont know much on plumbing, but i will try my best to learn some basic plumbing.

Had a pipe burst today, luckily it was outside and didn't flood the house. I have a lot of plumbing and electrical supplies out in the workshop, but half the time I am missing a piece to finish the job and have to make a hardware trip. Tonight I got lucky and was able to cap the broken line and keep water flowing inside. My can of PVC glue was old and was really thick, but I soaked the can in a bowl of warm water and it was just enough to glue on a cap. Well, the point of this is my next trip to the hardware store will be getting a good emergency plumbing kit. I'll get caps for assorted sizes, a couple small cans of glue, some compression fittings with caps, etc. prepping isn't just about storing food, water and camping supplies, it's trying to be as prepared as you can for any form of emergency. I'll start thinking more about a household fix kit.

That is a good topic you brought up.

Recently, I did a plumbing project, so yeah, kind of got some extra caps, pipe, elbows, etc. just to have (and because I wasn't exactly sure what I'd need). Not a bad idea though, to be sure I have enough caps of all sizes. Thanks for the tip. (My project was in response to a fast-needed repair...a horse accidentally ripped the pipe from post, hehe...water going everywhere).

I used the opportunity to run another water line to the other side of the stable to service the other two stalls there.

One thing that I recently looked into and is next on my list is a plug for my sewer. After speaking with some plumbers, they advised me that if the grid goes down, the water and sanitation services will both be affected. If people continue to flush their toilets because they can find water to pour in the tank, raw sewage will eventually start to backup into people's homes. For around $10, you can get a testing plug for your home. It goes in your sewer main or cleanout. You blow it up with a bicycle tire pump and it keeps anything from backing up into your house. It also means you can't use any of your plumbing. Put stoppers in all your sinks and tape all your toilet lids down with duct tape in case someone forgets. You can build a compost bin and actually use a human composting toilet and compost your human waste. Sounds gross but is actually very easy to do. All the gray water can be used to water plants in your garden. Rain catchment and a berkey water filter system can take care of most of your water needs.

good point on plumbing supplies..i already have a small amount of hot and cold water pipe's,and of each size pipe needed from previous small plumbing jobs I've done here..that also includes elbows sleeves for connecting 2 pipes togeather caps,and i dunno what else.i do need to get around to getting some more of the pvc cement thoe.i always get the cement that works when the pipe is clean n dry or when dirty and/or wet..

One thing that I recently looked into and is next on my list is a plug for my sewer. After speaking with some plumbers, they advised me that if the grid goes down, the water and sanitation services will both be affected. If people continue to flush their toilets because they can find water to pour in the tank, raw sewage will eventually start to backup into people's homes. For around $10, you can get a testing plug for your home. It goes in your sewer main or cleanout. You blow it up with a bicycle tire pump and it keeps anything from backing up into your house. It also means you can't use any of your plumbing. Put stoppers in all your sinks and tape all your toilet lids down with duct tape in case someone forgets. You can build a compost bin and actually use a human composting toilet and compost your human waste. Sounds gross but is actually very easy to do. All the gray water can be used to water plants in your garden. Rain catchment and a berkey water filter system can take care of most of your water needs.

Brilliant !!

I'm curious as to what happens with septic systems (I'm assuming power is needed to the septic pump, etc.). I keep meaning to put this higher on the list, and forgetting. Thanks for the reminder!!! Of course, I'm not adverse to building outhouses either. I was even thinking of doing one for the stables, since it is pretty far from the house, so if you have to go.... (of course, the real farmer is just going to say...do it in the stall dummy). Still....

I'm curious as to what happens with septic systems (I'm assuming power is needed to the septic pump, etc.). I keep meaning to put this higher on the list, and forgetting. Thanks for the reminder!!! Of course, I'm not adverse to building outhouses either. I was even thinking of doing one for the stables, since it is pretty far from the house, so if you have to go.... (of course, the real farmer is just going to say...do it in the stall dummy). Still....
You can install a solar panel for your pump. You can build a compost bin out of reclaimed pallets. Use the five gallon bucket toilets, cover waste with sawdust, empty into compost every other day, cover with grass, straw, etc. and keep going. Takes a year to fill compost bin and another 9-12 months to turn it into compost.

solar panal(s) and wind mill(s) come to mind for that..if i remember right.a septic pump needs a 110 electric outlet

I figured as much, just need to get it all figured out. Solar would seem a good option.

i plumbed for 5 years and still do alot of plumbing at my current job . pvc cement does not like the cold ! doesnt matter if it is all weather or not it will still harden if it sits, keep it somewere warm , and isnt a bad idea to pick it up and shake it every now and then so it doesnt separate.

i plumbed for 5 years and still do alot of plumbing at my current job . pvc cement does not like the cold ! doesnt matter if it is all weather or not it will still harden if it sits, keep it somewere warm , and isnt a bad idea to pick it up and shake it every now and then so it doesnt separate.
I hear you. I kept finding PVC glue in the house and I kept taking it the garage. It kept making its way back into the house. My husband finally said that every time I put it in the garage, it ruins it. So now, I have to share a corner of my craft closet with him.

I'm kind of glad I'm not on public utilities! It's bad enough if your own waste is backing up, much less than that of others.

I'm kind of glad I'm not on public utilities! It's bad enough if your own waste is backing up, much less than that of others.
I know! My in laws own a 35 acre farm and have a well and septic. I asked my father in law if he had a way to get water or use his septic take if he lost power and he said no. The least he should do is add a hand pump or solar pump. But...people are hard headed and will do what they want to do.

Luckily most septic systems use gravity and a downward slope, so no electricity is needed. Sometimes if your in a low wet area you may need a pump to move the waste up to a stable drain field in a dryer area,but that's not too common. It's a pretty simple system and generally the only problems are either a clogg, a grease plug, or worst case is the drain field is over saturated and can't drain away the fluids fast enough. Your lucky in fla. As the sand usually drains really well.

I know! My in laws own a 35 acre farm and have a well and septic. I asked my father in law if he had a way to get water or use his septic take if he lost power and he said no. The least he should do is add a hand pump or solar pump. But...people are hard headed and will do what they want to do.
Having a generator for your well is not optional in my opinion. I've lost power many times in my lifetime, twice was for 10 days or more. Not being able to wash, cook, etc is bad, but not having a working toilet really sucks. I can live without most modern comforts, but having a fridge and running water are something I really don't want to give up.

Not being able to wash, cook, etc is bad, but not having a working toilet really sucks.

Don't need power for that. Can just fill the toilet with water and flush. We have stored water (in barrels) for emergency outages. We do have an emergency well bucket also, but that would take FOREVER to actually use for everything (but better than dying).

That's why we need some kind of a backup system for it. I'm looking into having a system where we can immediately switch to a hand pump for the well, but even that would kind of suck (filling buckets and carrying all the way to stable, etc.)...so I really want some kind of a power backup (solar or generator). It's tricky to price solar, because I will need some professional help I think, to do it safely. I'm pretty decent at electrical, but home-trained, not professionally trained.

is there some way you can intall and rig up a hand pump next to each toilet to where the water can and will go directly into the tank?maybe a pump for each one,where the pump is next to it..

is there some way you can intall and rig up a hand pump next to each toilet to where the water can and will go directly into the tank?maybe a pump for each one,where the pump is next to it..

Won't matter if there's no water in the tank the house pulls from. It's all about the well pump. (and I suppose, the septic one, if I even have one there).

a well is what i had in mind when it comes to hand pumps..on account that water should be clean enough for that.pluse well water might be a easyer route to take

Don't need power for that. Can just fill the toilet with water and flush. We have stored water (in barrels) for emergency outages. We do have an emergency well bucket also, but that would take FOREVER to actually use for everything (but better than dying).

That's why we need some kind of a backup system for it. I'm looking into having a system where we can immediately switch to a hand pump for the well, but even that would kind of suck (filling buckets and carrying all the way to stable, etc.)...so I really want some kind of a power backup (solar or generator). It's tricky to price solar, because I will need some professional help I think, to do it safely. I'm pretty decent at electrical, but home-trained, not professionally trained.
You could still save by doing as much as you can yourself. I'm a decent electrician, can wire a house that will pass inspection, but am far from an expert on solar systems. When I'm ready to set up a system I'll probably hire a pro to at least inspect that part of it before I flip the switch. I think I can handle the battery system and inverter, I'm just not sure how to connect multiple panels together. I also have a flowing creek that I want to hook a car alternator to charge the batteries also, but not sure how compatable that is with a solar system.

Thank you for opening my eyes to an area that has been overlooked by me. it is off to Home Depot/Lowe's for some supplies!
I am all for any chance to buy a new tool... or two!

Thank you for opening my eyes to an area that has been overlooked by me. it is off to Home Depot/Lowe's for some supplies!
Hey Clyde, yeah I'm all about tools! I work at a hardware store, which for me is worse than a woman working at a dress store! Really it's pretty cool, there's always something on clearance or damaged, and I get great deals. The only problem is I give back half of my check.

Having a generator for your well is not optional in my opinion. I've lost power many times in my lifetime, twice was for 10 days or more. Not being able to wash, cook, etc is bad, but not having a working toilet really sucks. I can live without most modern comforts, but having a fridge and running water are something I really don't want to give up.
yea if your on a well i suggest a crank,rope and bucket! or a hand pump.

They actually make bullet-shaped emergency buckets for modern wells (these aren't like the wells in movies, they are only about 4" wide). The buckets are around $15, but this would be a pain in the ass. I'd like to at least rig up two options...backup generator for minor outages, and a hand pump for more long term outages.

Keep in mind, would only need the generator on when using it, so wouldn't be constant. Likewise, you can cycle it for fridges, etc. too.

Latest posts

Back