Bacon anyone

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, I am thinking pit fire! There isn't anything better than a pig in the pit for a family reunion! If not, then the meat gets cured and then the smoke house. Then there is headcheese, souse, scrapple to make out of the head and sausage from the scaps. Use the tongue, brains, liver, snout, ears, heart, lights (lungs), stomach, intestines, feet, tail. skin, and fat. If you kill an animal, even in self-defense, please use all that you can of it. There are many uses and if you are not sure how, then goggle it while you can.
You really caught my attention here. I went to a huge party in Central California with some Latino friends of mine and they put a pig in the ground for 3 days prior. They annointed me with Mescal (with the little worm in the bottom) and I never got that receipe nor how the entire process evolved. That was the best tequilla I ever drank and the best baked ham that you could imagine. So my question: is that what you're talking? Tell me yes. And also you're right people should learn to use every part of kill if they can without poisoning themselves. But I remain solid on the fact I won't eat mountain oysters.

It's something like that. The size of the hog determines the length of time it's in the pit. You can also do them on the big oil drum smokers if you don't want to dig. I've also seen it done with cement blocks built up to make a pit. A whole hog roast is just the bees knees. If you're smart you'll go for the cheeks or jowls, that is some of the best eating in my opinion.

A year ago I moved from Spring or actually Oak Ridge North, TX and I always took that Hwy from Conroe to Baton Rou

ge on weekends to visit family. I saw one of those big boys laying along side the road and not too far away a BIG Ford pickup dead on arrival. When the Ford was towed so was the hog. I've never seen a pig that big in my life. As I whizzed by I wondered what that doggy tasted like on the barbie. Just me, I love wild game.
I drove by Cut N Shoot so many times. Can you tell us how that town got it's name? And is Sour Lake really sour?
Sour Lake was originally named Sour Lake Springs due to the sulphorus spring that flowed into a nearby lake. It is also known as the birthplace of Texaco. Oil was discovered there back in 1901, but then with Spindletop in Beaumont, fam for the town was short lived.

Sour Lake was originally named Sour Lake Springs due to the sulphorus spring that flowed into a nearby lake. It is also known as the birthplace of Texaco. Oil was discovered there back in 1901, but then with Spindletop in Beaumont, fam for the town was short lived.
I like Beaumont, as I drive through. There seems to be so much water, big lakes, recreation areas. How's the fishing?

I like Beaumont, as I drive through. There seems to be so much water, big lakes, recreation areas. How's the fishing?
Depends on the day really. We can catch some pretty big bass along the Neches River

To Unle Albert and Clyde both, if your hungry enough you would.

You're right if we get hungry enough we'll eat what's available. So, I have to ask you, what would you have done if you had been part of the Donner Party?
I would have been one of those who did whatever to survive, even if it involved cannibalism. But I could never take another persons life, that's God's descision, unless of coarse they are trying to hurt me or my family or property.

You're right if we get hungry enough we'll eat what's available. So, I have to ask you, what would you have done if you had been part of the Donner Party?
I'd say, start with the biggest one and work on down the line as needed. Did I mention I'm on a diet? Lol!!!!!

Latest posts

Back