Baofeng Radios

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm trying to communicate between two Baofengs UV-5R one is a 5 watt the other is an 8 watt. The range between them is 55km or 34miles what is the best option for doing this? The terrain is mainly flat with slight elevation in the middle of 30m or 98ft there is no major hills. Thanks for the help in advance.

You will have to see if they each can hit a repeater. That is the only way.
You may have to get better antennas.

I do not know your radio experience so I will assume none.

I suggest you contact the local ARC (Amateur Radio Club).

Tell them your radio locations, see if there is a public repeater between them.
Then use their frequency to listen in. If you can hear them you probably can send to them.
If both can hear well, then program the radios for the repeater and try in real life.

Be aware that both of you will need a Technician class HAM license assuming you are using a HAM repeater.

If the above fails you will probably have to go to base stations with more wattage power and real antennas to hit any repeater within 60 miles or so. 34 miles is a long way to go radio to radio on 2 meter handheld radios.

Last edited:
You will have to see if they each can hit a repeater. That is the only way.
You may have to get better antennas.

I do not know your radio experience so I will assume none.

I suggest you contact the local ARC (Amateur Radio Club).

Tell them your radio locations, see if there is a public repeater between them.
Then use their frequency to listen in. If you can hear them you probably can send to them.
If both can hear well, then program the radios for the repeater and try in real life.

Be aware that both of you will need a Technician class HAM license assuming you are using a HAM repeater.

If the above fails you will probably have to go to base stations with more wattage power and real antennas to hit any repeater within 60 miles or so. 34 miles is a long way to go radio to radio on 2 meter handheld radios.
I was kinda hoping a repeater would work this way i have backup radios.

This has been a great thread. And there is some REALLY useful information here. I am a licensed HAM and was radio comms in the Army, many years ago. Here is MY setup for when we NEED comms.

Near the center of the property are TWO antennas. One for 2M (45W) and One for 70cm (440 band @ 35W). Both tie into a mobile Kenwood TM-721A. This radio has been modified for 'Crossband repeating'. The Boafengs are configured to monitor both of the frequencies on this radio. Most everyone transmits on the 440 frequency and listens on the 2M frequency. When we have hosted a field day event, here on the farm, we use this same setup as control for the group spread across 60+ acres.

Both antennas are on trees, about 30 feet above ground-level. One is a home-brew J-Pole and the 440 antenna is a Hustler.

Is there any external antenna I could get for these that would give me that 10 mile+ distance?
Store bought ham antennas are going to take a lot of tuning to work to work on unlicensed FRS/GMRS or GMRS frequencies (assuming your going to be using FRS/GMRS and/or MURS frequencies for now).

Unless your all thumbs, building your own is going to just as easy and a whole lot cheaper. And if you screw up, you only screw up a piece of wire, not an expensive store bought antenna.

If your looking for an antenna to put on the roof or hang in a tree you can google "ground plane antenna", "dual band J-pole antenna" and "homebrew 2m/70cm antenna" ...etc and find something that will work for you.

I've built many, many antennas for Baofengs that are tuned to FRS/GMRS channel 3 and a few dual banders that also work on MURS ch3. If you want to go that route I'm sure any crusty old ham, including myself, can steer you in the right direction.

P.S. there's a prepper radio net that might(?) be in your area "Lake Co, McHenery Co/ Kenosha & Racine Co" every Thursday night at 9pm local. If you can get in touch with those guys I'm sure they can get your antenna issues sorted out. They're on a repeater at 145.410(-) pl 114.8 you can't transmit without a license but you can listen for their contact info.

Can anyone give me advice on getting an antenna for a pair of Baefeng radios? I have the UV-5R+ 8/4/1W radios.
I can get up to 3 miles with no problem, but would like to get 10 miles. Is there any external antenna I could get for these that would give me that 10 mile+ distance?
(I recognize we need an amateur license to transmit with them).

I just got an Amazon update--mine should be waiting for me when I get home. My plan, since I'm currently renting, is to make a stealth "flower pot dipole" antenna for it.

Or perhaps a normal dipole antenna:
Either one should be cheap and easy to build. I also lack a power meter for the antenna, but from what I understand, if you take careful measurements you can build something close enough, to really enhance performance over the crappy one that's installed. Let us know how your radio performs. As I said, I've not even seen mine yet. Going to mess around with it over the weekend. If it works, I'd like to buy another for 2-way comm.

Dave2001. You are right.
I should mention that the trick I gave about the test only applies to the Technician Class license, the entry level.
After that you have to work for it.
If you can find a HAM CRAM to help with the HAM License it will go so much better. They only had us read the actual question and only the correct answer. They, the HAM CRAM Instructors, want you to succeed so that you can go out and join a club and really start learning and getting better.

Back