Be wary of craigslist theft

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brent S

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I've used craigslist for a long time to find stuff like equipment, cars, even rabbits. Overall I think it's a great tool to use to buy or sell stuff. I have noticed a rash of false posts lately that I really wanted to warn people about. I've been looking for a tractor with a backhoe for a few weeks now. Each day I look at the adds posted and am sure I will find something before long that's a good deal. Well, the adds are flooded with great deals on them, like unbelievably great deals. A common post is a fifteen thousand dollar machine selling for three thousand. They all have a reply to an email, no phone number. Once you reply to the add, they have a story about the father passed recently, or she got it in the divorce settlement, or something similar. But they need to sell it fast.... Of course you can't go see the machine as its in safekeeping by eBay, Amazon, or the newest one is pawn America. They are using these companies to ensure that you, the buyer, are protected during the transaction. So all you have to do is send the money electronically and they will ship the machine to you. Of course it comes with a thirty day no questions asked warranty. First off, none of these companies offer such a service. Second, if you send anyone your money without seeing and taking possession of the said product, you will never see your money again. I just saw on the news that some of these phone scams are netting a quarter million dollars a day from Americans. Craigslist is just another form of scam added to the list. I just hope everyone is wary and wise to deals that are too good to be true. The backhoes are just one item they try to rip people off with, but cars, trailers, and anything else you can think of is being listed now. Just remember, if someone is asking you to send money first, drop the transaction.

yup.thats sooo true..my mom had gone into craigslist for some reason.and the guy told her that she needed to create a paypal account.in which he'd pay her through paypal.of course,we told him no deal.it's cash money or no deal..

I knew someone who got scammed going thru Craig List, $5000. Since their bank wouldn't do bank transfers overseas, they asked me to go thru my account. . . Sorry bud, it aint happening and he got screwed! Hunny did find a good deal locally by accident while out on a job. . . small Excavator with brand new Kubota motor. Always make sure you can actually see and not just take someone's word, even if you are in bad need of or wanting. It makes no sense,

I knew someone who got scammed going thru Craig List, $5000. Since their bank wouldn't do bank transfers overseas, they asked me to go thru my account. . . Sorry bud, it aint happening and he got screwed! Hunny did find a good deal locally by accident while out on a job. . . small Excavator with brand new Kubota motor. Always make sure you can actually see and not just take someone's word, even if you are in bad need of or wanting. It makes no sense,
The first question I ask is can I come look at it. If the answer is anything other than a simple yes I just move on. I think craigslist is awesome, free listings, lots of stuff, etc. It unfortunately has also become another place for crooks too.

Hunny took me by the Bobcat place that had the Excavator for sell today. . . it was a rental for the company at one time and we were able to talk to the mechanic and I got to actually see it and not just pics. It is old, but with the new Kubota engine which only has 104 hours, it sounds very good. They are still working on changing some parts out on it. Since it was used in their rentals, it has had all the maintenance done regularly. A new paint job and this thing will run and look brand new! Should be able to pick it up by next week and when compared with Ebay & Craig list prices varies but about half what they are normally posted. I am excited for my hunny's new toy cause he will let me play with it too.

Hunny took me by the Bobcat place that had the Excavator for sell today. . . it was a rental for the company at one time and we were able to talk to the mechanic and I got to actually see it and not just pics. It is old, but with the new Kubota engine which only has 104 hours, it sounds very good. They are still working on changing some parts out on it. Since it was used in their rentals, it has had all the maintenance done regularly. A new paint job and this thing will run and look brand new! Should be able to pick it up by next week and when compared with Ebay & Craig list prices varies but about half what they are normally posted. I am excited for my hunny's new toy cause he will let me play with it too.
I'm still patiently looking for a tractor with a loader and backhoe. I want a compact one so I can take it to jobs if needed without having to buy a huge truck and trailer. It is a shame as the full sized ones are cheaper than the compact machines. I hope yours works out to be a good machine for you guys.

I'm still patiently looking for a tractor with a loader and backhoe. I want a compact one so I can take it to jobs if needed without having to buy a huge truck and trailer. It is a shame as the full sized ones are cheaper than the compact machines. I hope yours works out to be a good machine for you guys.

I'm with ya. I've been looking as well, and keep getting my feelings hurt.

I'm with ya. I've been looking as well, and keep getting my feelings hurt.
Kubotas are great machines. I had a L39 TLB that I sold about 8yrs ago, and am really wanting another one. I really wish I had kept it, but needed the money to finish my house more than the tractor at the time. The only bad thing about them is they hold their value a little too well. The used ones sell for almost as much as new ones. John Deere hold their value pretty well too. I'm not stuck on brand as much as finding a decent value on one though. I'd take a mahindra or anything if the value is there, but kabota is still my first choice. Patience usually saves you money in the long run.

If you find a tractor for a nice price, you may want to grab it. That is how we got started then built up on attachments. It is nice to have a welder friend on hand too. It is amazing what you can barter with a Bachelor .

Kubotas are great machines. I had a L39 TLB that I sold about 8yrs ago, and am really wanting another one. I really wish I had kept it, but needed the money to finish my house more than the tractor at the time. The only bad thing about them is they hold their value a little too well. The used ones sell for almost as much as new ones. John Deere hold their value pretty well too. I'm not stuck on brand as much as finding a decent value on one though. I'd take a mahindra or anything if the value is there, but kabota is still my first choice. Patience usually saves you money in the long run.

Mahindras are popular here, as are JD and Kubotas. My problem is patience.

Kinda like a Jeep I had - kept it 2 years and sold it for $1000 less than I paid for it...

Mahindras are popular here, as are JD and Kubotas. My problem is patience.

Kinda like a Jeep I had - kept it 2 years and sold it for $1000 less than I paid for it...
I did really well on the kabota I had. I used it for about three years and sold it for 500 less than I paid for it. Not bad for a rental fee for three years. A jeep is one toy I've never had. One of these days....

Latest posts

Back