Bear Danger 2023...

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Horton

Old Bush Bear
Neighbor
It seems there have been a number of people killed by bears this late summer, early fall so far...
A couple and there dog hiking in Banff Alberta Canada were killed by a grizzly... The bear was identified and ..taken care of..
A hiker was killed in Arizona (?) And a person died in Colorado (?) and another in the north east US (?)...

It seems there have been more bad ..bear encounters.. of late.. I know the number of reported ..bear issues.. has skyrocketed in western Canada since one or more provinces stopped grizzly hunting.. I'm sure human expansion, drought and other issues has made bears less weary of people for many reasons..

Facts, details, other info ??

Its the same EMF that's driving humans and Orcas nuts. If you notice reports, there are an unusual number of Apex predators clinging to the high country and deeper waters as well. populations are under division, the culling has begun.

Speaking of stimulating experiences, studying the mastery of perfection while watching a Brown Bear methodically stalk you. There is a euphoric state of bliss for the human hunter to observe the true masters of death.

It seems there have been a number of people killed by bears this late summer, early fall so far...
A couple and there dog hiking in Banff Alberta Canada were killed by a grizzly... The bear was identified and ..taken care of..
A hiker was killed in Arizona (?) And a person died in Colorado (?) and another in the north east US (?)...

It seems there have been more bad ..bear encounters.. of late.. I know the number of reported ..bear issues.. has skyrocketed in western Canada since one or more provinces stopped grizzly hunting.. I'm sure human expansion, drought and other issues has made bears less weary of people for many reasons..

Though not specifically bear: There is an increasing amount of stupidity - not saying that to be mean. Last summer, Hubby and the fella he rides with (dirt bikes) were up on the trail. They saw 3 wolves ahead of them some distance. Their moto if they see them is keep going, don't stop until safe distance past any potential harm. They saw one of the wolves head off the trail one direction and the other two in the other direction. Ahead just a little ways, they encountered a husband & wife hikers. Hubby's friend told them of the wolves, that they were likely surrounded at that moment, and asked them if they were packing. "Oh no of course not!" They were complete with camera and actually seemed delighted at the prospect of seeing wolves :rolleyes: Hubby and friend said to be careful then promptly left.

Speaking of stimulating experiences, studying the mastery of perfection while watching a Brown Bear methodically stalk you. There is a euphoric state of bliss for the human hunter to observe the true masters of death.
--- ---
Um.... I guess I've had several ...stimulating experiences... with bears and though I kept my cool and ...handled.. them as the circumstances dictated at that moment.. Each encounter being different.. I certainly didn't feel elation, bliss or the like and required some recovery time to settle down and sleep well again after...
--- ---
They were complete with camera and actually seemed delighted at the prospect of seeing wolves :rolleyes:
Unfortunately... This is the kind of attitude that gets people there one time as a headline.. In a large park near Vancouver people were hiking and feeding coyotes to keep them near trails to ..observe... They didn't get the message until several had been fined for feeding the predators, and a dozen or more people had been hurt by coyotes.. To me the real tragedy is the number of animals that were identified as a problem and had to be destroyed.. All un necessarily... Don't get me started..

Off soap box...

Having them sleep next to you and want to cuddle all night is annoying. And they do snore, but not loud.

Really, I didn’t hear a hiker was killed by a bear in Arizona! Do you want the real story… well here it is anyway! A guy was building a cabin (damn city slicker) and had been feeding the bear on a regular basis and the bear came up to get his breakfast and it wasn’t there and ate the the dumb ass! That’s the real story because it happen not far from me!

I know the three things you have to do to become a sourdough. Did you really kill a squaw?
No.......Was referencing the time well down the Alaska Peninsula a 21 month old Coastal Brown Bear dug a "nest" on my side of the tent and laid against me with that wall of the tent separating us. Kept snuggling closer, I assumed for the comfort of the heat. I kept jamming it with my elbow. I knew or assumed it was the same bear I spanked with the oar, to get him out of the boat. He did it two nights in a row.

This event was just four days after I'd had (7) Alaska Coastal Brown Bears in camp all rainy cold October night long (that was on the other side of the lake. Both incidents were at the headwater of the famous McNeal River Brown Bear Sanctuary. At that point we were on Battle Lake shore.

Last edited:
No.......Was referencing the time well down the Alaska Peninsula a 21 month old Coastal Brown Bear dug a "nest" on my side of the tent and laid against me with that wall of the tent separating us. Kept snuggling closer, I assumed for the comfort of the heat. I kept jamming it with my elbow. I knew or assumed it was the same bear I spanked with the oar, to get him out of the boat. He did it two nights in a row.

This event was just four days after I'd had (7) Alaska Coastal Brown Bears in camp all rainy cold October night long (that was on the other side of the lake. Both incidents were at the headwater of the famous McNeal River Brown Bear Sanctuary. At that point we were on Battle Lake shore.
I've had deer snuggle up like that when backpacking. But never a bear. WOW

Bear sightings are pretty common in these parts, Tenting in bear country is not something that I would do, and hiking with a dog in bear country is kind of dangerous also, they will bring a bear to you if not trained otherwise. And of course humans get stupider every day

Bear sightings are pretty common in these parts, Tenting in bear country is not something that I would do, and hiking with a dog in bear country is kind of dangerous also, they will bring a bear to you if not trained otherwise. And of course humans get stupider every day
It all comes down to human stupidity whether it's a bear, a snake, a wolf, etc.! Dumb has a certain alluring taste to animals!!

OK Uncle.

I don't get it.
--- ---
Old ...really bad joke.. Best to just let it go...
+++ +++
Bear sightings are pretty common in these parts
I'm sure in your part of Alberta they are.. I had ...more than my share of ..encounters... on the Cariboo....
--- ---
It all comes down to human stupidity whether it's a bear, a snake, a wolf, etc.! Dumb has a certain alluring taste to animals!!

Chuckle... Ain't that true... Wonder if they would describe it as ...tastes like chicken... chuckle...

Bear sightings are pretty common in these parts
I'm sure in your part of Alberta they are.. I had ...more than my share of ..encounters... on the Cariboo....
The Cariboo is beautiful country and the critters don't seem to be too shy around people.

Last edited:
We're not supposed to have bears here, but a few black ones drift in at times.
Hence my hiking partner "Lucy".
15298292_2.png

Latest posts

Back