Been a fun couple of days, but more real reasons to prep

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gazrok

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Day before yesterday, my well pump electrics apparently got shorted out due to a wasp hive. So, without water for about a day. Got it fixed the next morning, but a good eye-opener. Even with existing preps, I'm realizing more and more that I really need a good backup plan for the well. We have drinking water stored, and we have a 50 gallon barrel that we keep full, but I really need to get more water barrels, especially for the stables.

Then, this morning, major power outage (2300 customers affected) in my area (was out for about 2 hours only, but right as we all get ready for work). Made me realize that although I have a few oil lamps, and those were great, I really need to invest in more candles, and more wall-mounted oil lamp sconces around the house.

yeah.lifes little lessons like those,are great eye openers.and lessons well learned when a person takes the time to learn from them.and takes the time to learn what and where they need to improve on each situation..thats what i love about the power outages that we have..i learn from them.in which i've created a list of things needed for times like that..but yet.i do still need a hand writen and/or printed list of things needed for those situations..

I now know that I need:

1. Flashlight by the bed
2. More Candles (and Candle Holders)
3. A better place to put lamp oil (couldn't find it easily)
4. More Oil Lamps (and be sure the ones we have are ready to go)
5. More Water Storage
6. A backup solution for the well (more pressing than originally considered) - Luckily, we keep some buckets by the backup water barrel, so we can fill toilets when an outage...
7. Another backup solution for the well (i.e. bullet-shaped bucket)
8. Some battery powered fans
9. LED Camping Lanterns (for areas where more light is needed) - The oil lamps were pretty good, but my wife wanted more light to do her hair this morning.

Things we did right....

1. Immediately checked scope of the problem (i.e. all the neighbors out too)
2. Checked with power company (they have a mobile app, and it showed the outage), and reported it
3. Immediately used cell phone lights to find way, and light candles and oil lamps
4. Had at least some of these ready to go, so we did have light to get ready for work
5. Had some things we could grab for breakfast that didn't require power.

9. LED Camping Lanterns (for areas where more light is needed) - The oil lamps were pretty good, but my wife wanted more light to do her hair this morning.

exactly.we learned that the 1st time our lights went out..and we had both oil lamps and led lanterns..
we have 2 brooklyn lanterns..and 1 rechargeable lantern from wal mart.2 of them helps out when mom is working her puzzle books..pluss they come in handy in the sitting area in my side yard,during a family get together..

Day before yesterday, my well pump electrics apparently got shorted out due to a wasp hive. So, without water for about a day. Got it fixed the next morning, but a good eye-opener. Even with existing preps, I'm realizing more and more that I really need a good backup plan for the well. We have drinking water stored, and we have a 50 gallon barrel that we keep full, but I really need to get more water barrels, especially for the stables.

Then, this morning, major power outage (2300 customers affected) in my area (was out for about 2 hours only, but right as we all get ready for work). Made me realize that although I have a few oil lamps, and those were great, I really need to invest in more candles, and more wall-mounted oil lamp sconces around the house.
Nothing like a real world test to show you the weak spots in your preps. I'm glad it was a short term test, but should be an opportunity for us all to learn from.

Yeah.a person can learn from certain situations like this.be it happening to them self or someone else...like keeping a flashlight on the night stand.i have 2 on my computer desk.in which 1 is idea for my night stand...

Latest posts

Back