Berry picking time.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I missed out going for the blackberries this year.. . yep,that is something I'm going to be missing. Only a few more jars left on the shelves. Cobbler and muffins are some of the best.

I have loads of wild blackberries on the property here. I used to brave the thorns to pick them, but since planting the cultivated ones I don't even look at the wild ones anymore. The one I planted have berries that are four times bigger, way sweeter, and thornless. Did I say thornless? They also spread and multiply like crazy. Now the wild ones are really just growing along the fence lines to provide a little extra security barrier. So far I've picked just a gallon of them for the freezer, but the vast majority aren't ripe yet. I don't know why they ripen at different times as they all came from the same breed. I think I started with about six or seven plants, and now have 45 or so. They send runners out that root easily when they touch the ground. These are some of the lowest maintenance plants I've put in so far, so I'm a huge blackberry fan now.
I also just started picking the first of this years blueberries. So far I've just gotten about half a gallon, but the bushes are loaded. All the rain seems to have been really good for the crop as the fruit is much larger this year than ever before. That could also be due to The plants getting more mature too though. I think they are about four or five years old now and have produced better with each year.

Berry picking used to be a family tradition here when the boys were home. Spend the morning picking, afternoon picnic then home to make some jelly. The boys really didn't mind helping cause they knew it would be biscuits and jelly afterwards. I really miss those days. Maybe when grand baby gets old enough we can start it again.

Latest posts

Back