Cascadia Subduction Zone Earthquake

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its not Cascadia you chaps need to worry about in the US, that's a tiddler compared to the volcano with a big crack across its side in La Palma, WHEN not if it goes the east coast of the US faces a tsunami up to 600 feet high, Florida and the Gulf coast will not survive, Boston and NYC will be devastated.

Its not Cascadia you chaps need to worry about in the US, that's a tiddler compared to the volcano with a big crack across its side in La Palma, WHEN not if it goes the east coast of the US faces a tsunami up to 600 feet high, Florida and the Gulf coast will not survive, Boston and NYC will be devastated.

Though La Palma landslide and tsunami hasn't passed peer review, funny, La Palma was the Wife first field expedition to study the soil/rocks when she got out of college, never the less, La Palma slide is a scary thought and possibility

Yup know what you mean about peer review and I accept it, BUT I also remember the assurances from experts that the TITANIC would not sink, The World trade centre could NOT possible fall down ( that was after the 1984 garage bomb), Forwarned is forearmed :)

Ok, I talked to the Wife, I tried to shorten her explanation,

The fault is only 4km long, but it was extended to 25km for the model, La Palma is of very porous lava and well faulted and open basaltic layers which will not permit a build up of pressure she said the model had the fault line on the ridge in reality the fault is 3km away from the ridge, she also said the model was based on algorithms used for under sea linear earthquakes, the landslide in La Palma case the algorithm are not relevant that was used in the model since the landslide in this case would be single point event meaning the tsunami would be short lived...

now about the New Madrid fault :)

From the Wife Boss

There's a big debate about whether the 1811-1812 New Madrid, Arkansas earthquakes were mid-7s or high 6s. This makes a huge difference in assessing tectonic explanations and implications for seismic hazard in the central US

The Argument.
"Estimates of magnitudes of large historical earthquakes are an essential input to and can seriously affect seismic‐hazard estimates. The earthquake‐intensity observations, modified Mercalli intensities (MMI), and assigned magnitudes M of the 1811–1812 New Madrid events have been reinterpreted several times in the last decade and have been a source of controversy in making seismic‐hazard estimates in the central United States. ... Our direct comparison of mean intensities beyond 600 km suggests M 7.5, 7.3, 7.7, and 6.9 for the three New Madrid 1811–1812 mainshocks and the largest aftershock and M 7.0 for the 1886 Charleston, South Carolina, earthquake ... . ..."

Latest posts

Back