CEVICHE

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joel

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Ceviche is my love language. Especially this ceviche de pescado (fish ceviche), which is my go-to ceviche recipe for summertime parties and fiestas. It also highlights what I love about Mexican coastal food, where a handful of fresh, healthy ingredients turn into one amazingly flavorful meal.

I’ve eaten endless amounts of ceviche across Mexico (you can catch a snippet in the video below), so I’m excited to share my take on this classic ceviche. It’s naturally simple yet touches on all the fresh flavors of Mexico

PERUVIAN VS MEXICAN CEVICHE​

Before we dive into the recipe, I’d like to give a warm shout-out to my Peruvian followers and their national dish — ceviche! Their version is often a simpler preparation with citrus-marinated raw fish, sliced onions, and a sprinkle of cilantro. It really lets the fish shine! And for the full plated experience, you’ll typically find Peruvian ceviche served with sweet potatoes, toasted corn, or plantain chips.
On the other hand, the ceviche I’ve made today is influenced by all my travels to Mexico. Mexican ceviche also uses citrus-marinated, but it’s tossed with other ingredients like tomatoes, cucumber, onion, jalapeño, avocado, and more. And with everything diced up in uniform pieces, it’s the perfect appetizer to serve with tortilla chips!

WHAT FISH TO USE IN CEVICHE​

The options are numerous – you can use shellfish like shrimp, crab, scallops, or squid. And then there’s white fish (my favorite) like sea bass, snapper, halibut, cod, mahi mahi, and more. In Mexico, sea bass is often used, though I’m using halibut today as it’s easy for me to find in Southern California (it’s also what I used in my mango halibut ceviche).
Whichever you decide, I can’t emphasize enough that the quality of your fish matters. If you have access to a local fish market with freshly caught fish of the day, I’d consider that your first option. If not, you can grab frozen fish or let the fishmonger know you’re using raw fish for ceviche. This will give them a better idea of which pieces are best suited for you.
Ingredients for Mexican ceviche on a table

CEVICHE INGREDIENTS​

A bite of this ceviche will make you feel like you’re on the coast of Mexico! Here’s what’s in it.
  • White Fish: I’m using fresh halibut for this recipe, but you can reference the section above for other firm white fish options. You can also use shrimp in this recipe, but take note of the shrimp tips in my citrus shrimp ceviche recipe.
  • Marinade: A lime and lemon juice mixture will “cook” and tenderize the fish.
  • Vegetables: You’ll need tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, avocados, and jalapeño or serrano pepper. It’s all my favorite Mexican toppings in one bowl!
  • Herbs: You can’t do ceviche without cilantro in my opinion (but I’m also a cilantro lover).

Find the complete recipe with measurements below

https://downshiftology.com/recipes/...289719207&mc_cid=9d8a8cc891&mc_eid=690b292c8b

I had some mighty fine ceviche from my time spent in Central and South America during the late 80s. In additions to the saltwater species listed above, freshwater fish like peacock bass was common.

Latest posts

Back