Chevy Volt

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clyde

H.M.F.I.C.
Neighbor
Just brilliant…………
Not for me….thank you!

Cost to operate a Chevy Volt

Eric Bolling (Fox Business Channel's Follow the Money) test drove the Chevy Volt at the invitation of General Motors.

For four days in a row, the fully charged battery lasted only 25 miles before the Volt switched to the reserve gasoline engine.

Eric calculated the car got 30 mpg including the 25 miles it ran on the battery.

So, the range including the 9 gallon gas tank and the 16 kwh battery is approximately 270 miles.
It will take you 4 1/2 hours to drive 270 miles at 60 mph. Then add 10 hours to charge the battery and you have a total trip time of 14.5 hours.

In a typical road trip your average speed (including charging time) would be 20 mph.

According to General Motors, the Volt battery hold 16 kwh
of electricity. It takes a full 10 hours to charge a drained battery.

The cost for the electricity to charge the Volt is never mentioned so I looked up what I pay for electricity.

I pay approximately (it varies with amount used and the seasons) $1.16 per kwh.

16 kwh x $1.16 per kwh = $18.56 to charge the battery.

$18.56 per charge divided by 25 miles = $0.74 per mile to operate the Volt using the battery.

Compare this to a similar size car with a gasoline engine only that gets 32 mpg.

$3.19 per gallon divided by 32 mpg = $0.10 per mile.

The gasoline powered car cost about $15,000 while the Volt costs $46,000.........

So Government wants us to pay 3 times as much, for a car that costs more that 7 times as much to run, and takes 3 times longer to drive across country..... REALLY ?????

funny thing is, couldnt they just add a couple more alternators to the car and have it self genorate the battery cell?

funny thing is, couldnt they just add a couple more alternators to the car and have it self genorate the battery cell?
doesn't the Prius do that? I don't know much about these cars.
The Chevy Volt seems to be a joke!
That is the car that chevy spent all of the stimulus money on!

as far as i know none run on genorated cells from alternators, that would mean a sort of perpetual motion which is a risky topic in the inventer world, just think, a car that runs without gas or electricity bills, big oil n top utilitys are what genorate the most money in the country, cant have money out of their pockets can we?

as far as i know none run on genorated cells from alternators, that would mean a sort of perpetual motion which is a risky topic in the inventer world, just think, a car that runs without gas or electricity bills, big oil n top utilitys are what genorate the most money in the country, cant have money out of their pockets can we?
God forbid should they not make the billion dollar profit!

But you know people will buy it. All someone has to do is give a half hearted pitch about why it's "Better" than what they already have and many of the sheeple around us will buy into it. Leather interior comes to mind. So does 4wd in 70% of our Country. Time after time we become victims of "Successful marketing". Ever notice how many things at a $1 store you can get a better deal on(Without having to go to WalMart)? Amazing. Half, if not more of the current "In" mods to handguns come to mind. Pistol bayonet, anyone?!

ive seen a sort of bayonet on a pistol on that storage buying show wit Ton and Rob, it was a 50s gangster weapon. it had brass knuckles with a knife and after you knived the MFer you shot the pistol, great all around close quarters weapon!
The problem with making a propetual car is having enough money to build the prototype, ive also came up with designs for a car using air, using an air compressor but you really need money to make money.

But you know people will buy it. All someone has to do is give a half hearted pitch about why it's "Better" than what they already have and many of the sheeple around us will buy into it. Leather interior comes to mind. So does 4wd in 70% of our Country. Time after time we become victims of "Successful marketing". Ever notice how many things at a $1 store you can get a better deal on(Without having to go to WalMart)? Amazing. Half, if not more of the current "In" mods to handguns come to mind. Pistol bayonet, anyone?!
ive seen a sort of bayonet on a pistol on that storage buying show wit Ton and Rob, it was a 50s gangster weapon. it had brass knuckles with a knife and after you knived the MFer you shot the pistol, great all around close quarters weapon!
The problem with making a propetual car is having enough money to build the prototype, ive also came up with designs for a car using air, using an air compressor but you really need money to make money.
I know there are those people who will run out and buy the latest greatest... or so they think it is.
Then there are those who will drink the kool-aid of the current administration just so they can say "look at me! I am helping the environment!"

lol yah dont forget the black nikes lmao

When we say green cars, the Chevrolet Volt is near the most sensible. It's got an electric powertrain, although with a limited range, and a gasoline one that takes over when the batteries are exhausted. However, a GM funded battery company is coming up with batteries that could more than triple the Chevy Volt range. Source: chevy volt range

When we say green cars, the Chevrolet Volt is near the most sensible. It's got an electric powertrain, although with a limited range, and a gasoline one that takes over when the batteries are exhausted. However, a GM funded battery company is coming up with batteries that could more than triple the Chevy Volt range. Source: chevy volt range
When you say "we" just who are you referring to? do you work for GM?
I am not a battery powered car fan myself.
However, If I was to by a hybrid it would be the Toyota Highlander.

When you say "we" just who are you referring to? do you work for GM?
I am not a battery powered car fan myself.
However, If I was to by a hybrid it would be the Toyota Highlander.
Not a fan of hybrids at all, unless you are a mechanic, you can't work on them. Whats it cost to replace the batteries, and where do the batteries go when they are toast. To the landfill ? Oh that sounds green !! I'll take my 85 4x4 toyota truck any day. I don't buy the hibrid crap at all.

Not a fan of hybrids at all, unless you are a mechanic, you can't work on them. Whats it cost to replace the batteries, and where do the batteries go when they are toast. To the landfill ? Oh that sounds green !! I'll take my 85 4x4 toyota truck any day. I don't buy the hibrid crap at all.
If i could find one, I would like to get a 1986 GMC Sierra Classic 4x4 with a 4" suspension lift and 36" mickey thompsons.
However, I may opt to not raise the truck that high as i don't want to attract any undue attention if at all [possible.

If i could find one, I would like to get a 1986 GMC Sierra Classic 4x4 with a 4" suspension lift and 36" mickey thompsons.
However, I may opt to not raise the truck that high as i don't want to attract any undue attention if at all [possible.
Thats a nice rig, perfect bug out unit. good thread topic.

*sigh*
id hate to extreamly disagree with you on almost all of this, but im going too, and ill tell you why by your complaints about them:
first off, you pritty much have to be a mechanic to work on any car/truck.
whats cost to replace the batteries? how much does it cost to replace an engine in a car/truck? idk but i dont think the batterys will cost more, possably even a bit less.
batterys to the landfill? brother, batterys can and are recycelable, there only made from lead plastic, and the charged liquid can be burned off (reminder for some: good place to get lead, for bullet making etc. post-shtf, but protect yourself from the liquid).
the complaint i would have about it is: how would i recharge it post-shtf?
but if you think about it, that solar gear Clydesdale posts (and you [Colt] post) can more than charge the car (given enough time).
however again, solar panels break or malfunction (exspesialy in the wild, which ever environment of wild may affect it more, ie desert=dirt/dust) and then where are ya.

tbh, i really like the idea of the wood burning car (works off of hydrogen that emmits from burning wood) and along time ago they even made a steam car (Jay Leno owns 2 of them) that intrest me greatly.
i actually have an idea for a car that runs on air, but not enough money to fund the project.

LOL, Mickey Thompsons, ahhh, man after my own heart!

*sigh*
id hate to extreamly disagree with you on almost all of this, but im going too, and ill tell you why by your complaints about them:
whats cost to replace the batteries? how much does it cost to replace an engine in a car/truck? idk but i dont think the batterys will cost more, possably even a bit less.
batterys to the landfill? brother, batterys can and are recycelable, there only made from lead plastic, and the charged liquid can be burned off (reminder for some: good place to get lead, for bullet making etc. post-shtf, but protect yourself from the liquid).
but if you think about it, that solar gear Clydesdale posts (and you [Colt] post) can more than charge the car (given enough time).
however again, solar panels break or malfunction (exspesialy in the wild, which ever environment of wild may affect it more, ie desert=dirt/dust) and then where are ya.

tbh, i really like the idea of the wood burning car (works off of hydrogen that emmits from burning wood) and along time ago they even made a steam car (Jay Leno owns 2 of them) that intrest me greatly.
i actually have an idea for a car that runs on air, but not enough money to fund the project.
No dude, i can totally work on my toyota, a volt no way. and as for the batteries, good idea but how many people are going to be able to do that. If i have a dead battery i can just bump start it. I guess i am just looking at it as what vehicle would i rather have in a bug out situation. Oh 900.00 bucks for a long block for my toy could do the rest myself, so put that in your pipe an SMOKE IT !!! LOL just missing with you. we both have some good points.

*sigh*

No dude, i can totally work on my toyota, a volt no way. and as for the batteries, good idea but how many people are going to be able to do that. If i have a dead battery i can just bump start it. I guess i am just looking at it as what vehicle would i rather have in a bug out situation. Oh 900.00 bucks for a long block for my toy could do the rest myself, so put that in your pipe an SMOKE IT !!! LOL just missing with you. we both have some good points.
It's a fight! Lol

id be just a learning process i guess, on how to work on them. if you already know how to work on a car/truck would usually tell me you're mechanicly inclined, which mesns youd probably figure it out pritty easy how to work on it.
tbh, it wouldnt be my first choice either, im partial to my 91 honda accord ex with a 4 banger in it lol, lots of mpg good handling and somewhat dirt road worthy, although, i really want a Jeep raise to the sky with them Thompsons, my brother has one thats a big rock climber and its freaken awesome.
um....... whats a "long block"? like a straight 4, 6 or 8?

long block is the block, crank, pistons, basically the bottom half of the motor, Mine is a 22r, 4 banger. I had a 91 honda also, loved that car. can get a lot of mile out them.

id be just a learning process i guess, on how to work on them. if you already know how to work on a car/truck would usually tell me you're mechanicly inclined, which mesns youd probably figure it out pritty easy how to work on it.
Now would be the time for us all to learn about the cars/trucks we currently have and stock up on some parts.

ROGER THAT ! I was thinking the same thing, I will poke around maybe i can find them on a PFD
I know that used to be the go to manual! They were the bible of automotive repair!

long block is the block, crank, pistons, basically the bottom half of the motor, Mine is a 22r, 4 banger. I had a 91 honda also, loved that car. can get a lot of mile out them.
big block?
small block?
straight 4?
straight 6?
straight 8?
then the "V"s 4,6,8,12.
ive never heard of a long block, but hey, idk everything lol.

If they are still around, I should go out and locate a Chiltons manual for my car.
awesome idea!
me personally, i buy one for every car i own. as a long time mechanic, i can tell ya, almost every car is different, one way or another. they all pritty much have the same stuff, it just located in different spots. car companys today make newer cars damn near impossable to work on yourselfs these days, so its always good to learn your car.
take for example:
some of the newer Caddys:
in order to simply (haha) change the alternator, you have to first pull off the front end and radiator, loosen up the motor mounts and lift the engine a little, amongst actually taking it off (some are water cooled by the radiator, so it has that line to it).
LOL, screw Cadddys, im good with my easier to work on POS LOL.

Latest posts

Back