Chevy Volt

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
awesome idea!
me personally, i buy one for every car i own. as a long time mechanic, i can tell ya, almost every car is different, one way or another. they all pritty much have the same stuff, it just located in different spots. car companys today make newer cars damn near impossable to work on yourselfs these days, so its always good to learn your car.
take for example:
some of the newer Caddys:
in order to simply (haha) change the alternator, you have to first pull off the front end and radiator, loosen up the motor mounts and lift the engine a little, amongst actually taking it off (some are water cooled by the radiator, so it has that line to it).
LOL, screw Cadddys, im good with my easier to work on POS LOL.
My cars is a nightmare to work on. My wife's is worse. On her car you can't even see the engine.
One of the reasons I would like an older model truck or suv. Something around 1985.

My cars is a nightmare to work on. My wife's is worse. On her car you can't even see the engine.
One of the reasons I would like an older model truck or suv. Something around 1985.
LOL, ya i miss my 71' Chevy p-up with a small block 350, open, and easy to work on. heck, almost everything was fixable with duck tape till i got it home lol.

LOL, ya i miss my 71' Chevy p-up with a small block 350, open, and easy to work on. heck, almost everything was fixable with duck tape till i got it home lol.
My first car was 1972 Buick Skylark. Not only was it a tank, but super easy to work on. You could access any part of the engine with ease. Plus it only cost me $300.00 in 1985.

......Yes, I'm old!!

Dude as a long time mechanic you don't know what a long block is ? I don't buy it !! Here's a link on long blocks !! http://www.unitedengine.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=6&Itemid=55 Mechanic, my ass !!
Daaaaaaammmn i got told hu? LMAO!
LOL, thanx, some times i need to be brought down a rung (or 2 lol)!
dude, i never stated i went to school to become a mechanic, but i have worked on various cars since i was 13 (im 34 now).
tbh, to me an engine is an engine no matter what its called. i know the fundementals of what makes an engine work, and yes, im a mechanic that (at least thinks) can work on just about anything.
no i had never heard of a long block (or short block either, that i just found out they have too lol), but i guarentee i can pull one apart n put it back together properly (with a book on it).
what i want to know now is WTHeck is the difference between a big block and a long block?

btw Colt, im not one that cant admit when he's wrong.
i was wrong. im sorry.

btw Colt, im not one that cant admit when he's wrong.
i was wrong. im sorry.
I'm getting misty at all of these emotions!

Seriously though.... Are Chilton's manuals still being made?

Back