Chicken/egg question

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My roo
Cute!
RR Reds are the meanest roosters (aside from Jungle Fowl) that I've ever raised. They get the pot every time. I did breed Reds with Jersey Giants, and got a beautiful, not as insane rooster.
roostes are both Langston something. Beautiful but one was mean to me. I always carry a pvc pipe and he hasn't attacked for months.

Got 2 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Speckled Sussex and 2 Rhode Island Reds. Ive had all these before and had really good layers. The Sussex were the best for brooding purposes I have had.View attachment 12294
Every time I see that I go AWWW. Power went off several years ago. While were away. We found some "dead" chicks and we cuddled them. Guess what? They all came back to life,

Even though I put up a wall on the crate, one of the chicks escaped and I found it on the floor which was about a 3 foot drop. I Knew the opening were wide, but I didn't expect a prison break. I'm glad I found it before the cats did. I am going to reinforce even more. Live and learn.

Well, since the 2 pigs from the neighbor are living in my chicken coop at the moment and they have not even started building their pigpen yet....I emptied MY PIGPEN today, cleaned it out, moved stuff somewhere else and got it ready for some chicks next month. Only need to put some boards up to staple the chicken wire to where they will run free and then we are ready for some new animals in the yard...we do not even have possums or coons here. No bad spiders, snakes, scorpions or poison ivy/oak either...just the wicked thorns on the Acacia trees which will go thru your car tire, shoes, rubber boots and almost any glove!!

You are a nice neighbor to babysit some pigs. Maybe there will be sausage coming your way! We have possums and rat snakes, hawks, vultures, skunks....Our chickens live in Fort Knox. We have baby turkeys coming in next month, so we'll get back into breeding them again. And guinea fowl the following month. Still have roosters that need to be culled, and just got a call from some city people needing some butchered chicken for their "beer barbeque", so we'll be doing some of that soon. Starting all over again with animals since we just moved to our farm last summer.

You are a nice neighbor to babysit some pigs. Maybe there will be sausage coming your way!

That is the thing...we will get nothing in return. I bought a $300 pig for him and his family last Dec. and we split the meat. Then, he got a pig from the grandfather of his wife and we split the meat again. My freezers are full and I have smoked meat, bacon, and foot long sausages hanging in the pantry.
He had to get them out of another persons pigsty for some reason or another and had no place whatsoever for them and now they are crapping and digging my garden area up which was planned for the chickens as a scratching place and now is only a mud hole full of pig droppings and pee. Probably ruined for a year or so till the OVER-FERTILISED dirt can recover...

All six chicks on their "sleeping stick". Proud mama moment.
20210316_191734.jpg
20210316_191734.jpg

I had to take down the attachwd apartment where I would put the young chickens to acclimate with their elders. How old do you let the chicks get before you begin socialization?

I have a separate smaller coop for them to sleep in, but it doeant have the visual advantage that the apartment did.

I had to take down the attachwd apartment where I would put the young chickens to acclimate with their elders. How old do you let the chicks get before you begin socialization?

I have a separate smaller coop for them to sleep in, but it doeant have the visual advantage that the apartment did.
As soon as we're done brooding our chicks they get turned loose with the rest of the flock. Some get picked on, but thats part of chicken life.

As soon as we're done brooding our chicks they get turned loose with the rest of the flock. Some get picked on, but thats part of chicken life.

Mine are 7 weeks old. Do your chicks sleep in main coop at that age? Do they find a roost all by themselves or sleep on the floor until larger? Mine have a small "sleeping stuck" in their cage, but my roots are about 18" off floor in main coop

Mine are 7 weeks old. Do your chicks sleep in main coop at that age? Do they find a roost all by themselves or sleep on the floor until larger? Mine have a small "sleeping stuck" in their cage, but my roots are about 18" off floor in main coop
Most sleep in the coop. Some sleep on the nest boxes, and when they get older they'll get a place on the roost. Last year we had a few replacment chicks that roosted in the choke cherries by the house. Until it got cold then they went in the coop.
The wife just ordered 25 meat chickens and a dozen replacement chicks.

AD you sound like you would know. I thought 8 weeks was too young. Live and learn
I dont pretend to know much, just what works for us.
I'm still here working on the corral and a bunch of hens came up to see what i was doing. These things are always entertaining. I dont know why everyone doesn't own chickens.

I stick them in a cage in the henhouse. After a few days, I leave the door open. I don't put them in there till they're pretty much feathered.
Thanks. It was so easy when I had the attached apartment with the wire door
They got to known each other without making contact. Even after I atattes letting them out, they slept in separate rooms

I built a small brooding house, 6x6. On the front wall I screened the upper half and the door is screened. That gives them plenty of ventilation, light and protection from drafts. Its on skids so I can move it out of the way when its not being used. We use a plate type heater, not sure what they're called but the chicks can get under it to stay warm and the height is adjustable. We try to get our chicks in July when the nights are warmer.

Latest posts

Back