Cigars

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like it. Actually, I just realized I put up a picture of "Mississippi River, Special Reserve." I actually had the ordinary Mississippi River, which I really like. I do want to try to Special Reserve; I think I have some in my stores, so it will be tried soon. (BTW, I've noticed the prices have gone way up since my last round of buying.)

My 4 favorites:
  • G.L. Pease -- Quiet Nights
  • Seattle Pipe Club -- Plum Pudding
  • Seattle Pipe Club -- Mississippi River
  • Escudo -- Navy Deluxe
I think of the Mississippi River as a "chocolate" version of Plum Pudding, the later having some hints of fruitcake. Both have a little more flavor than Quiet Nights, which is just campfire in the tin, and rich & creamy on the smoke. The Navy Deluxe is "a glass of tea," so it is much lighter than the other three.

That may all sound weird, I suppose. Flavor notes of tobacco can be like flavor notes in wine...very imprecise, and personal...just hints of the flavor noted...more like a memory is evoked than a flavor tasted. (My wife just looks at me like I'm insane when I taste a wine, and say that it has flavor notes of "saddle leather...asphalt..." which usually means it is a very good wine, by my book. :) )
I thought that was Plum Pudding special reserve. Missed that totally. Ill have to try the Mississippi River blend to. I've got an unopened tin of quite Nights too

Whats everyone been smoking lately? I hadn't had any in a while till the last week or 2, Just hadn't felt like it.

Last weekend I had my first Fuente Opus X. Way to expensive, but it was a really good cigar, pretty mild but great flavors.
Last few days I had a Perdomo 20th Aniversary. I generally don't like Perdomos, but this one was killer. Stopped by the local shop and got 2 more for the humidor after this one. Last night I had a Macanudo Inspirado Orange. Not bad, but I like the Blacks and White's much better.
Today after a long day I smoked one of my favorites, an Olive Serie V Melanio Double Toro 6x60. What afine smoke.

Arturo Fuente is one of my go-to brands. I have never been disappointed. I like the Perdomo 20th Anniversary, but I prefer the Lot 23.

I have also picked up a few Alec Bradley Coyols. Really nice smoke. I thought it was pretty mild. A lighter flavor. Nice size too at 41 x 6 1/2. Their claim to fame is it was Cigar Aficionado's #18 Cigar of the Year in 2016. I guess it has maintained its popularity if they are still making it. I enjoyed it.

Last edited:
I had a nice Illusione Habano this morning. Mostly Nicaraguan (wrapper and binder); medium strength. Nice draw, nice flavor. I would definitely get more. Size is anout 40 x 6". Fits perfectly into a nice carrying case I have. The case was a Christmas present from me to me. Sometimes hard to find cigars that fit, but the Illusione worked great. I'm not sure Amazon still carries the one I have, but it is very similar to this one.

1722789565922.png

Nice case, never saw one quite like it.
I have an Oliva leather case, 3 fingers. But it's kinda soft, always afraid ill crush them. Recently bought a 5 finger case thats more of a hard shell, but still fairly thin. Suppose to hold 5 6x60s. Thing I really like about it, it seals itself and has a slot to hold a 8 gran Boveda pack so they don't dry out. Gotta try it soon. Its made by perfect case and sold on Amazon
Never smoked an illusione. Need tobtry them out.

My case is pretty hard sided, so I never worried about anything getting crushed. In addition it has cardboard inserts which allow you to put smaller ring size cigars in it, and they will still be snug, plus a little extra protection. Yours sounds nice. It will hold larger cigars, plus the Boveda pack is a great idea.

Well someone is really great at picking out presents for himself!!😉😃

I'm never disappointed, and I always get what I want. I highly recommend it.

My wife always tells me to. I am hard to buy for, can never make up my mind and have to research everything to death. But I typically end up with some good tools for whatever the need is
I help Lori cheat, I keep an amazon wish list, mostly for books or the 💩 they sell. Good stuff, I just buy :)

I'm taking a break on the back deck smoking an AL Capone Jamaican Blaze rum cigar. They're small and only take a few minutes to enjoy. It's way too hot and dry here to walk around smoking a real cigar.
Mountain trapper you not have smoking room library where the lord of the home and like minded guests can relax chatting about manifold subjects as they enjoy their smoke or cigar and drinky. No need to deny yourself of the good pleasure from the Jamaican rum cigars you enjoy so much.

Mountain trapper you not have smoking room library where the lord of the home and like minded guests can relax chatting about manifold subjects as they enjoy their smoke or cigar and drinky. No need to deny yourself of the good pleasure from the Jamaican rum cigars you enjoy so much.

Cigar smoking is an outdoor sport, or best left to be enjoyed in a cigar bar. I for one NEVER smoke in my house, or in anybody else's house. Even the best air handling system will not capture everything. ;)

That said, I had a great day at the Cigar Bar. Had a nice Macanudo Inspirado Orange, a Perdomo 10 Year Anniversary and an Alec Bradley Coyol. All realy nice. I recommend all three.

I agree. The Orange is O.K. but they were out of the Blacks, which is always our first choice. I was really looking for the Perdomo Lot 23, but the guy who manages the place said they were not going to carry it anymore. This is the only one they will carry. Apparenly, my buddy and I were among he few that really liked them. They just didn't sell enough, and wanted to use the shelf space for a higher volume seller. I have never had an Opus X. I will look for them. Might try a new store to see what they have. That's where I found the Illusione.

1724667785797.png

I got the OpusX as a celebration stick for our upcoming 40th anniversary. I dont think it was worth the money. It was good, but wouldn't put it in my top 5
I agree. I had one when I retired, one after 5 years retired, and saving the last one till I am in the retirement house. The last one has been in the humidor for at least 10 years.

Tried out a Wise Man Maduro last night. I'd compare it to the regular Tabernacle line, not the 142. But IMO it even better and a little cheaper. It was a box pressed Torpedo, 6.25x52. One of the best sticks I've enjoyed in a while

Latest posts

Back