COPS......Past & Present....??? What is domestic dispute or disturbance......???

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
Clearly if a woman is beating the snot out of a man, or visa-versa. But what other type things could be "domestic Disturbance". (note: not sure what those things are properly called) Could any disturbance be call "something"...??

Last edited:
Clearly if a woman is beating the snot out of a man, visa-versa. But what other type things could be "domestic Disturbance". (note: not sure what those things are properly called) Could any disturbance be call "something"...??
That was me.

My X was done with me. Launched at me with a big knife. I retreated to the bathroom. Yelled a lot to get neighbors to call police. There were no cell phones back then. Police showed up and charged me with domestic disturbance.

Ben

Last edited:
That was me.

My X was done with me. Launched at me with a big knife. I retreated to the bathroom. Yelled a lot to get neighbors to call police. There were no cell phones back then. Police showed up and charged me with domestic disturbance.

Ben
I know that men used to be seen as the more likely to be violent, but like many things, that has been changing. Women seem to have more power and confidence in their aggression.
When I used to go to Alanon, there was a man who participated who was known to be a battered husband. My guess is that when his wife drank, she got violent.

When I was an apartment dweller the couple next door got into a loud argument and threw things around for awhile. The tin stars showed up and both got cited for "disturbing the peace - domestic". Or so the newspaper said. Neither went to jail but they were separated and one had to go elsewhere for the night. A week or so later they were at it again but this time she threw something that hit him and she got pinched for "disorderly conduct - domestic".

I know that men used to be seen as the more likely to be violent, but like many things, that has been changing. Women seem to have more power and confidence in their aggression.
When I used to go to Alanon, there was a man who participated who was known to be a battered husband. My guess is that when his wife drank, she got violent.
Easy to be confident when the cops are going to arrest the guy you beat up.

It really depends on state/local laws, department policy for describing similar situations, and media claims after the fact.

I am not trying to be vague but where I used to work a typical argument in a home was a Domestic Disturbance. Anything physical whether at the home or out in public, amongst family members or dating couples was a Domestic Battery.

Most believe "Domestic Violence" only pertains to cohabitating "couples", but the true definition states:

Domestic violence is violence committed by someone in the victim's domestic circle. This includes partners and ex-partners, immediate family members, other relatives and family friends. The term 'domestic violence' is used when there is a close relationship between the offender and the victim.

Most believe "Domestic Violence" only pertains to cohabitating "couples", but the true definition states:

Domestic violence is violence committed by someone in the victim's domestic circle. This includes partners and ex-partners, immediate family members, other relatives and family friends. The term 'domestic violence' is used when there is a close relationship between the offender and the victim.
Thank You..........That is a big help.

I seem to re all that back in the day if both were giving as good as they got, it was called mutual combat. And not treated as abuse.

I believe that totally depends on the state and jurisdiction. With blue states expanding the definition to snare an ever widening group.

I believe that totally depends on the state and jurisdiction. With blue states expanding the definition to snare an ever widening group.

Especially since lesbians have the largest per orientation rates of domestic violence. Double that of straight people. Which actually makes a lot of sense to me as many of them seem like very angry people.

Especially since lesbians have the largest per orientation rates of domestic violence. Double that of straight people. Which actually makes a lot of sense to me as many of them seem like very angry people.
What can you expect from mentally ill people?

When we were a young married couple back in 67 the wife got mad a me, forget the reason now , she through a cup of coffee at me it missed , so I walked up to her , then through my coffee at her, did not miss , then said that's how you do it , the only cup of coffee I can remember not drinking , we both looked at each other , then burst out laughing , yes it has not always been plain sailing but never violent , still married today , 57 years later

the only time the cops turn up here is if there are kids in the house, if not the couple are left to sort it out themselves.
the nearest police are 30 miles away, 1 hour by road so not much help and they havent got enough officers anyway, who the heck wants to be a policeman these days?

Latest posts

Back