Cuba

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
If someone can find a better source of this information, please share it.
Is this the future in the U.S.?

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino...uba-leaving-10-million-people-dark-rcna176169

Power goes out on entire island of Cuba, leaving 10 million people without electricity
Cubans expressed alarm, with one resident saying it felt as if the country had reached the “bottom of the barrel.

Oct. 18, 2024, 1:30 PM MDT / Updated Oct. 18, 2024, 5:41 PM MDT
By Orlando Matos and Carmen Sesin
HAVANA — The electricity went out Friday in Cuba, affecting the entire island's population of 10 million after one of its main power plants failed, according to Cuba’s energy ministry.

On Friday evening, authorities announced power had been restored to about 20,000 residents of the capital, Havana, which has a population of 2 million.

Power outages have been chronic in Cuba for years and have worsened in recent months. But the situation was so critical in the past three days that the government took measures to keep the lights on.

On Thursday night, it announced schools would close and most state workers would stay home Friday in an effort to conserve energy. But it wasn’t enough and by 11 a.m. Friday, Antonio Guiteras thermoelectric, the largest power plant, went offline causing a grid failure.

The communist-run country’s aging and decrepit infrastructure has frequent outages because of difficulties with maintenance and lack of fuel. In some provinces outside Havana, many people have been facing blackouts that last up to 20 hours at a time.

Cuba's president, Miguel Díaz-Canel, wrote on X that they are giving “absolute priority” to solving the problem, and that “there won’t be any rest” until the power comes back on.

Cuba’s prime minister, Manuel Marrero, on Thursday blamed the ongoing blackouts on the deteriorating infrastructure, fuel shortages and rising demand among its people.

While demand for electricity has gone up, the supply of oil has been greatly limited. Cuba’s ally and main oil supplier, Venezuela, has decreased the amount of shipments it sends to the island. Oil shipments from other countries, like Russia and Mexico, have also been greatly diminished.

Authorities said they did not know how long it would take to re-establish power to the entire island.

Even though Cubans are accustomed to blackouts, this particular event has rattled many. During a walk in a Havana neighborhood people expressed alarm at the situation, and one resident said it felt as if the country had reached the “bottom of the barrel.”

“This is incredible,” said a Havana resident who declined to provide his name. “I don’t see a solution to this problem.”

A woman in a neighborhood in Old Havana said she was fearful the situation would get worse. "It really worries me that we may not yet be at the bottom of this electricity crisis," she told NBC News.

Cuba’s government has long blamed the decades-old U.S. embargo for many of the island's economic shortcomings, including difficulties in acquiring fuel and spare parts for its plants. Donald Trump increased sanctions while he was president, and the pandemic had a devastating impact on the island’s tourism industry, one of the most lucrative sources of income for the state-dominated economy.

The economic crisis has already made life difficult for the average Cuban with shortages in food, medicine and fuel.

They probably need more diversity and tolerance. No wait, I bet this was caused by climate change. Either way they could, oh I don't know, revolt against their commie government and become a republic with open trade, capitalism and tourism funding their becoming a place worth living.

They probably need more diversity and tolerance. No wait, I bet this was caused by climate change. Either way they could, oh I don't know, revolt against their commie government and become a republic with open trade, capitalism and tourism funding their becoming a place worth living.
This would be far less if sanctions were not in place...yes i am against all sanction no matter who they are...why...because it goes against one of rules god set down to follow..basically says dont prevent the poor from making their living...the entire place is poor...lack of and limited resources..if no sanctions were in place they could do some trade etc. and get a few dollars to keep countries ability to buy oil for electric production.

i mean theres a tractor company here in u.s. developed a tractor for poor around the globe to be affordable and about the time it was ready to go sanctions were slapped back on and prevented it..i will find the link and show you video. its a fantastic design and it gives farmers ability to fix and repair and even build new ones with parts right off any shelf in the world.

april-2017

Oggun (pronounced oh-goon) may be an odd name for a tractor, but that's the latest entry into the market, originally designed for Cuba, made in Alabama, and resembling the Allis Chalmers G made in the 40's and 50's. Here's a link to their website: http://www.thinkoggun.com/.

The Oggun Tractor is the brainchild of the partners in Cleber, LLC, Horace Clemmons and Saul Berenthal, who had previosly owned a software company together. Berenthal left Cuba at the age of 16 and always had a dream of returning and starting a business there. When relations between the two countries started to warm late in 2014, he contacted his former partner to discuss fulfilling his vision and starting a software company in Cuba. Clemmons researched the potential and found that while Cuba isn't ready for computer software, what they do need are tractors, because of their aging Russian-made fleet and their newly-privatized small farms.

The first prototype was made in 2015 and this past week Clemons completed a trek across the mid section of the country promoting the concept. I caught up with him at a demonstration in the southwest part of Missouri and he told me the Oggun story.

Cubans actually provided the name for the tractor. Clemmons told me, "As our tractor defines the transition from livestock to mechanization we described it as the Iron Horse Tractor. While working in Cuba, the Cuban farmers had an idea for a name - Oggún, the mythical god for metalworks and protector of the people. And so, our Iron Horse Tractor is called Oggún."

The tractor is designed mainly for close-in cultivation of vegetable-type crops, but there will be finish mower and rotary cutter attachments available soon. It's powered by a Honda engine, has a three point and PTO, but it's only two wheel drive, and there is no loader available for it. It will sell for $12,500, and only directly to customers, there will be no dealer network. Parts for the tractor, though, are readily available and Clemmons says the design is so simple that people with even limited mechanical abilities and tools will be able to service it.

Long term plans are for the Oggun to be built and sold throughout the world and possibly morph in to a skid loader or utility vehicle. It's a new concept, a very unique business model and it will be interesting to see if the company has hit on a magic formula to reach farmers in Cuba and around the world with their new tractor concept.

If the left is allowed to inact all the climate change BS they plan, and to shut down the coal fired plants, and won't allow nuclear power plants to be built. You can bet it'll happen here at some point. Nuclear would take years to come on line. And at the rate they are shutting down coal plants, I'd bet it won't be but a few years until it happens here.

Cuba old dictator daddy and the easy mama Maggie 😂
His son ...Justin
1729440160843.png

"This would be far less if sanctions were not in place...yes i am against all sanction no matter who they are...why...because it goes against one of rules god set down to follow..basically says dont prevent the poor from making their living...the entire place is poor...lack of and limited resources..if no sanctions were in place they could do some trade etc. and get a few dollars to keep countries ability to buy oil for electric production."

Why are there "sanctions" against the People of cuba...?!?

...Well, at least they are not addicted to EV's. ;)
That would be bad.:confused:

"This would be far less if sanctions were not in place...yes i am against all sanction no matter who they are...why...because it goes against one of rules god set down to follow..basically says dont prevent the poor from making their living...the entire place is poor...lack of and limited resources..if no sanctions were in place they could do some trade etc. and get a few dollars to keep countries ability to buy oil for electric production."

They aren't aginst the people of Cuba, they are aginst the country of Cuba. Of course the people suffer for it. The sanctions started way back during the Cuban missile crisis.
Maybe the Cuban people should rise up and throw out their communist government, rather than hopping in a boat and come to the US.
In my personal opinion, I think it's time to end the sanctions. Also, if the people there are fine with living under communism, let them. I don't care what kind of government they have.

The sanctions are not against the people, but against the communist government.
And no, the sanctions are not just a random act of cruelty that fell out of the sky. :rolleyes:
Read up a little bit on WHAT THEY DID to get 'banished for life'.:oops:
Hint:
Cuban_crisis_map_missile_range.jpg

They aren't aginst the people of Cuba, they are aginst the country of Cuba. Of course the people suffer for it. The sanctions started way back during the Cuban missile crisis.
Maybe the Cuban people should rise up and throw out their communist government, rather than hopping in a boat and come to the US.
In my personal opinion, I think it's time to end the sanctions. Also, if the people there are fine with living under communism, let them. I don't care what kind of government they have.
The Sanctions are because of the Gov't/Rulers there and not the people or the country...!!!

Now go and read what Sup42 Links the Blame to the "Cuban Missile Crisis" and that article was "This is the latest accepted revision, reviewed on 20 October 2024"

Back