Dandelion recipes?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a little bit more on the dandelion. Taken from the book "No Need To Die...Real Techniques of Survival" by Eddie McGee. A VERY good book for survival and prepping.

All parts of the dandelion are edible from the flower right down to the roots, which is one of the exceptions to the rule, milky soppy roots that one can eat.

Extremely high and very rich in calories and minerals.

The young leaves may be eaten raw or cooked. The flower stalks as well as the flower heads may also be eaten raw, or eaten as string shoots as in string beans.

The roots, when dried and ground can become coffee, but remember their is no caffeine in them.

Hope that adds a bit more info. The a fore mentioned book has it all.

I don't know if anyone said anything about this yet but what I have done before is:
Dig them up
Clean and peel them
Let them soak for 10ish minutes
Boil them like potatoes

They don't taste that great with out seasonings though. If you are going to try it I highly advise changing the water that you soak them in about half way through.

Another thing that I've done in past is:

Collect dandelion leaves, pine needles and nettles.
Boil water and make tea.

A note for picking nettles: either wear gloves or try to pick the leaves without touching the tops of the leaves. To do that I pinch the reverse side. Sometimes though you touch the nettles, a quick thing that you cam do is take a large broad leaf and rub it over the area that you got the nettle on to combat some of the stinging.

Tyler,
thanks for that info,never done tea from those three together,is it bitter??
i've used nettles like spinach in small pancakes,a healthier pancake :) when do you collect those pine needles? I do it in spring when there's fresh,new,lightgreen ones at the top

Jontte, it turns out bitter but I always carry around sugar, salt and pepper. You can add salt to the water when you soak them and it draws out some of the bitterness. For the pine needles, I pick them when I need them but I typically look for the brighter green ones on the tree. If it is later in the season I look for smaller trees.

thanks for the hint,I usually don't carry sugar with me as I drink my coffe black

Jontte, it turns out bitter but I always carry around sugar, salt and pepper. You can add salt to the water when you soak them and it draws out some of the bitterness. For the pine needles, I pick them when I need them but I typically look for the brighter green ones on the tree. If it is later in the season I look for smaller trees.
You could add sap from a silver birch....Don't forget to plug the hole afterwards.

true,I should collect sap now,but don't know who our park-authorities would react if I drill holes to trees around here ;)

true,I should collect sap now,but don't know who our park-authorities would react if I drill holes to trees around here ;)
As long as you do a good job of plugging the tree, I think it has to be done in spring.

tomorrow it's the time to dig up some roots and try to make coffee out of them,they should be big by now ;)

in my herbs app for dandelion.and here's what it says

user either the root or leaf.useful as a powerful diuretic.it is a good source of potassium.help in fighting anemia.also used for fever,liver,skin,and urinary ailments.

Jontte, after three batches, I discovered that the color of the roasted roots should be fairly light. The "coffee" actually seems to come out darker than the roasted roots look. Not exactly sure how that works, but when I roasted the roots to the color I wanted the "coffee" (second batch), it was too much and came out bitter and burnt tasting. It also turned to powder in the grinder and clogged up the filter.

I stopped roasting the third batch when it was slightly darker than "golden brown" and it came out perfect.

Latest posts

Back