Dehumidifier

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caribou

Time traveler
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I have a dehumidifier that is a year or so old and has been running 24/7. It should be dumping 6+ gallons per day. It no longer appears to function. I have a hose that runs to a floor drain. The air filter is regularly cleaned. Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated.

One of our dehumidifiers' condenser coil freezes up and gets completely covered in ice. We need to turn it off for a couple hours 'til it thaws out and be sure not to run it too long.

Ours don’t last more than 2 years. They don’t run constantly, but do run a lot. Turning them off a bit for freeze ups helps, but a new unit will be needed soon enough. The only thing that I can suggest is buying the next one with the best coverage/warranty that you can get. Tru Value was great and replaced one for us, and now we can see that it’s near time to see how Costco handles it. We don’t buy cheap, but they do not last.

I have a dehumidifier that is a year or so old and has been running 24/7. It should be dumping 6+ gallons per day. It no longer appears to function.
Is there water coming out of it? If not, probably frozen.
Have you listened closely to it over a period of time? The ones I've owned have had 2 distinct sounds. One was fan only, the other is when the compressor comes on.

It depends a lot on where you put it and the type of moisture it is collecting.

If it is already in a place with corrosive or high mineral content moisture the coils will begin to dissolve pretty quickly or get a crust that will make them useless.

Funny you should mention this. I have the same problem. In fact, just tonight I searched for a fix. I hate to throw it away b/c it cost $200 and it's not even dirty. I think we used it in the basement for a year or so. It wasn't running constantly either b/c I had 2 dehumidifiers down there. Mine runs but doesn't collect water. I'm thinking it might be the compressor like in the following video b/c I can hear the fan working. I just need to tear it apart and see if I can figure it out......or just ask hubby to do it. 😁 At this point I have nothing to lose by tearing it apart.

I found this.....maybe it will help you.

Thanks to all. I turned it off for 5 hours plus, and then turned it back on. There was a slight improvement but hours later no fluid is coming out of the unit. I’m going to order another.

Latest posts

Back