Doing things beyond you age... for fun.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoomzoom

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
This thread got me thinking.
https://www.homesteadingforum.org/t...s-lifelong-dream-of-flying-in-spitfire.37502/

Have you done anything similar in your older years, just to have fun?

A few years back, during COVID lockdowns, we got sick of being locked in. The Mrs. and my daughter took off to FL for a getaway. Oh boy, they left me and my son alone. We're now going to play.

I mentioned age in the title so I'll state that this happened when I was in my late 50's.

My son and I went to a national race track and raced go-carts. Awesome fun.

He wanted to step it up a bit. His suggestion... let's go skydiving. Without hesitation (because my wife was not around to keep me grounded (pun intended), we did it. She would have kicked my ass if I even suggested it.

Free-fall from 13,500'. OMG, what an incredible experience. The joy and experience happened too fast but it was fantastic.

What do you do for fun as your age progresses?

I would never go skydiving in a million years LOL, I don't even like being in a commercial plane
I did all the dangerous things when I was younger ( downhill skiing, rock climbing, mountain climbing, traveling to third world countries ) somehow I have no desire to do them now ( just turned 60) and my feet and husband's knees are no longer in good enough shape to ski or rock climb. We had this conversation a few days ago. What CAN we do for "fun" at our age and where we live? Nothing came to mind LOL
So we will just remain farmers and produce food and sell it as long as we can physically do that. After than I might as well just drop dead since I can't think of anything to do else. I don't want to watch youtube and netflix all day

I want to do know what old people that are physically not able to do much anymore do all day long

I love peace and quiet so just sitting is great. As far as skydiving, not when there's a perfectly good airplane below me. (Although I also wouldn't be in a plane). Long ago I was offered an incentive flight in a F-111. I passed 1. because I don't like heights & 2. I had heard about "those" incentive flights & I don't like to throw up.

I love peace and quiet so just sitting is great. As far as skydiving, not when there's a perfectly good airplane below me. (Although I also wouldn't be in a plane). Long ago I was offered an incentive flight in a F-111. I passed 1. because I don't like heights & 2. I had heard about "those" incentive flights & I don't like to throw up.
I always wanted to go up in a fighter. I'd tell the pilot to make me puke. I think that would be a blast to go up and make those maneuvers.
For old age, not for excitement reading would be PRIMO for me. My moms 85 and pretty limited, she reads a lot.

I’d like to try snorkeling again, as long as the water is like glass, smooth, and the tide isn’t coming in. I get claustrophobic sometimes and have snorkeled in some places, Buttonwood Bay was good, out by the reef not so much. I’m not rich like most of y’all, so just wild hopes.
I used to want to hike the AT in 2 sections but now my feet are kinda arthritic. That’d be torture but fun, right?
Hiking and camping in the national forests with people that will not leave me behind. 😆
Oooh oooh. I still think about the big boat I don’t have and taking the waterway that sorta hugs the outline of the U.S. from where it starts in New England to Texas.

I went skydiving a long time ago with my brother..it was thrilling but unless the plane is crashing..once was fine.

I'd like to go rockhounding. Pick huckleberries and mushrooms..both can be sold too for side money. When I go pick tho I will probably stay for a few days bring a little camper , find a lake or stream ..be nice.

I'd like to travel some too..road trip America all the little small town places, do a hot springs tour.

I can envision a nice road trip rockhounding America. Wake up in a little rpod camper , go walk the pups around some quaint little small town somewhere. Make some huckleberry waffles for breakfast later and spend a few hours rockhounding. Evening time go soak in a hotspring and retire to a good book or make a rug. Move on to another spot at some point.

I want to go to the rock n gem show in Arizona too..go visit Mt Rushmore , go yardsaling..

I went skydiving a long time ago with my brother..it was thrilling but unless the plane is crashing..once was fine.

I'd like to go rockhounding. Pick huckleberries and mushrooms..both can be sold too for side money. When I go pick tho I will probably stay for a few days bring a little camper , find a lake or stream ..be nice.

I'd like to travel some too..road trip America all the little small town places, do a hot springs tour.

I can envision a nice road trip rockhounding America. Wake up in a little rpod camper , go walk the pups around some quaint little small town somewhere. Make some huckleberry waffles for breakfast later and spend a few hours rockhounding. Evening time go soak in a hotspring and retire to a good book or make a rug. Move on to another spot at some point.

I want to go to the rock n gem show in Arizona too..go visit Mt Rushmore , go yardsaling..
I can’t remember everything! I want to go rockhounding too!!! Sapphires, turquoise, anything in America. Someone posted some rock hound videos a while back.

I can’t remember everything! I want to go rockhounding too!!! Sapphires, turquoise, anything in America. Someone posted some rock hound videos a while back.
That's about all I would want to do...
To go out west and scan for radioactive rocks.
'Hot rocks' sell for big money.:thumbs:
Just one the size of a golfball brings $50+.:D

Not long after I got disabled I joined the gold prospectors assoc. I spent 49days prospecting in the mtns of N. georgia. No phone or tv. I found gold, brought home almost 2 ounces. I gave it all away as christmas presents, everyone in the family got a little vial of gold like this one.

It was a lot of fun!!!! I had a blast!

Gold Vial  (1).JPG

The wife and I like to go rockhounding too. We also like metal detecting, gold prospecting and hunting arrowheads. We found some sapphires in Montana while gold paning. I acquired some nice sapphires, ruby's and emeralds while I was in Afghanistan.

That's about all I would want to do...
To go out west and scan for radioactive rocks.
'Hot rocks' sell for big money.:thumbs:
Just one the size of a golfball brings $50+.:D
:rolleyes::oops::cop::good luck: You go your way, I’ll go mine.
@Peanut that’s very cool.
@Hooch shark tooth scouting is fun.
Also back in the 1960s my bro used to find fossils and arrowheads in plowed fields of Virginia. Back when it wasn’t looked upon as wrong. I think digging for fossils is fun, but would prefer to find a BIG SKELETON any dinosaur.

I think there's just something wrong about jumping out of a perfectly good airplane. I love flying. Use to load crop dusters in Calif. A few times the pilots let me ride back to base in the hopper. I've traveled quite a bit, hitch hiked from Sacramento to Anchorage just for a visit and stayed for 7 years. I belong to the GPAA, gold prospectors association of America. Would love to get out and prospect some more. If I can get some property in west Texas might build a shop and rebuild some trannys, engines and try to sell a couple rigs a year. Lawn tractor repair makes good cash too.

:rolleyes::oops::cop::good luck:

Now yall have went and done it!!! I've thought about doing this for years. Shale fossils are common here along with teeth.

Shark teeth aren’t far away either, Green county in this article is where grandpa and I went to get tractor parts. I have cousin's with fishing camps there. No excuses, don't know why I've never gotten around to it. It does sound neat...
----------------------------------------
Hunting 80-million-year-old shark teeth in Alabama’s Black Belt
Updated: Aug. 05, 2021, 12:14 p.m

Friel attended this latest trip, led by Sorlie and a paleontologist from the museum. They visited two creeks in Alabama’s Black Belt, one in Hale County, the other in Greene County. The trips cost $30 per participant and fill up fast every year

https://www.al.com/news/2021/08/hunting-80-million-year-old-shark-teeth-in-alabamas-black-belt.html

Last edited:
:rolleyes::oops::cop::good luck: You go your way, I’ll go mine.
@Peanut that’s very cool.
Also back in the 1960s my bro used to find fossils and arrowheads in plowed fields of Virginia. Back when it wasn’t looked upon as wrong. I think digging for fossils is fun, but would prefer to find a BIG SKELETON any dinosaur.
Would finding one of these make your trip worthwhile?
https://www.etsy.com/listing/1650553819/boltwoodite-new-method-mine-amboy-san?gpla=1&gao=1&

Edit: Or several of these?
IMG_20240907_215658.jpg

Last edited:
Not as wild as swimming with sharks or jumping out of a plane, but one of these days, I’d love to go up in a hot air balloon. I’d also like to ice skate ⛸️. I did put on a pair on skates that were about 2 sizes too small and go from one end of this little chopped up patch of ice to the other but I’d like to go on a real rink or pond.

I have swam with sharks off of Sharm El Sheik. When one is the only novice diver amongst a pack of master divers, you go where you get towed. They were always chasing sharks in the deep blue.

It got dicey a few times when we surfaced to find charter tourist boats chumming the water and the sharks were going nuts.

Hubby couldn't figure out why I didn't want to go diving any more. That ruined it for me.

We used to find shark teeth in the Fayoum desert. I have a bowl full of them.

@Peanut prime area off the coast of Venice Beach, Florida for shark teeth scouting. Thousands to be found out in the water. Really cool looking, black and gray shiny teeth, little, bigger. Maybe also available in the Keys. @Supervisor42 I can see I'll need to take a field guide book to tell me what I'm looking at.
You don't use your eyes to find them, you use a thing like a metal-detector to sweep the area and listen for the clicks to turn into a roar.
The stuff is not that rare in the right places, there are just very few loonies like me to go out and fetch them.
The two I posted about are: Boltwoodite and Samarskite.

No thank you on live sharks! Spent 6 years going to sea, dealt with them often, even had a couple accidental underwater encounters. 1st one, 20miles offshore from tx, oil company boat, we were hanging off a buoy by a rig. To kill time that day so we went swimming. I jumped off the boat from 30ft up while the guys hung a rescue ladder over the side. Opened my eyes underwater. There were a half dozen sharks hanging out in the shade under the boat, good ambush spot near the rig. Worse, they were all looking at me, almost crapped… That was the longest swim I’ve ever taken. 🤣 Only 20ft but seemed like hours!! Couple of 6 footers in the group...

So no to sharks! "We don't want any adventures here, thank you! You might try over The Hill or across The Water." bb

Last edited:
But @Supervisor42 why would you handle radioactive rocks? For money?
They aren't dangerous if you don't make a necklace out of them and wear it every day. :rolleyes:
What are they used for?
One of my boltwoodite rocks is in the small ziplock bag HERE testing a radiation detector. :)
(no, my hot-rocks do not stay in the house.:rolleyes:)

Latest posts

Back