Doomsday Preppers- How do you stack up?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bunkers are short term 2 weeks to 30 days, giving protection against blast (location dependent) and initial rad fallout. For protection against hoards of people it is temporary and only gives one a false since of security, I'll mention it again, the bunkers achilles heel is the ventilation system! I'm not against bunkers though that be only in certain locations where it would be advisable such as Tornado Alley, in/outside New York City, Chicago, Seattle, Bremerton/Norfolk naval base, DC etc... (if only concerned with nuclear war and/or tornados)

So much of the sales pitch today reminds of the sales pitch in the early 60s and for the most part like then it is based on false hope false security! youtube has an awful lot of snake oil talk and the same with certain television programs.
One of the things atlas shelters emphasizes is how good their ventilation is, but you're more than right about it still being temporary.

if one falls back to the bunker and secures themselves inside then no defensive posture can be taken, now it become a siege and I can guarantee you they will be looking for the ventilation system.

Yep, which is why you have false ones that let them THINK they got you.
Also, an enemy will be expecting you to hunker down in the bunker. They WON'T necessarily be expecting you to immediately go through an emergency escape tunnel that is accessible from inside the bunker, leading away from your location.

Also, an enemy will be expecting you to hunker down in the bunker. They WON'T necessarily be expecting you to immediately go through an emergency escape tunnel that is accessible from inside the bunker, leading away from your location.

That would work if amongst the trees though the bunkers I have seen are 200yrds from any tree lines if any giving a rifleman at a distance over viewing the grounds pretty good field of vision making it a turkey shoot, don't forget thermo imaging that may aid in finding active ventilation pipes, amazon sales all sorts of thermo imaging devices.

I agree 100%! I don't think many attackers will be assuming that at all. They will probably just wait outside the hatch and wait for you to come out.

That would work if amongst the trees though the bunkers I have seen are 200yrds from any tree lines if any giving a rifleman at a distance over viewing the grounds pretty good field of vision making it a turkey shoot, don't forget thermo imaging that may aid in finding active ventilation pipes, amazon sales all sorts of thermo imaging devices.
I feel like such a small percentage of people are that well equipped to where the odds of this happening are pretty low. People this prepared will be safe at their own locations.

I feel like such a small percentage of people are that well equipped to where the odds of this happening are pretty low. People this prepared will be safe at their own locations.

That's not necessarily all that prepared, poachers use thermo imaging devices out here, having a shooter covering an open field is both utilized by hunters and military. Like night vision optics, thermo imaging equipment is just as obtainable and must be counted as part of any threat assessment, it must be part of any defensive thinking and never discounted.

Latest posts

Back