Electric Power from Heat... ??..

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Horton

Old Bush Bear
Neighbor
OK... Disclaimer... I am for the most part electrically illiterate...
However, I have seen some kind of attachment on a small wood fired type Rocket Stove that produces electricity.. Enough to charge a USB type connection to a phone or other small appliance of the like..

I presume it is somewhat the same kind of principele as a ...thermocouple... on an gas oven, water heater or the like..

Are there attachments that would go on a wood stove, fireplace, bon fire, or the like to produce some level of useful electricity.. ??...

Facts, details, experience, resources.... ??...

However, I have seen some kind of attachment on a small wood fired type Rocket Stove that produces electricity.. Enough to charge a USB type connection to a phone or other small appliance of the like..

I presume it is somewhat the same kind of principele as a ...thermocouple... on an gas oven, water heater or the like..

Are there attachments that would go on a wood stove, fireplace, bon fire, or the like to produce some level of useful electricity.. ??...

Peltier effect.

https://phononic.com/resources/how-...ffect refers to,current as well as reversible.

The peltier will work both ways.

Run a current through it and one side gets hot and the other cools.

Or

Pass heat energy through it and will produce a current.

@Biggkidd was experimenting with them last year. I try to find her thread.

Ben

Thermocouples use the galvanic voltage of dissimilar metals bond together. The voltage is a function of temperature.

Ben

Peltier effect.

https://phononic.com/resources/how-thermoelectric-cooling-uses-the-peltier-effect/#:~:text=The Peltier effect refers to,current as well as reversible.

The peltier will work both ways.

Run a current through it and one side gets hot and the other cools.

Or

Pass heat energy through it and will produce a current.

@Biggkidd was experimenting with them last year. I try to find her thread.

Ben
See here

https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/thermoelectric-power.17533/

Ben

⬆️ This is why I started with "I am no expert".
Peltier crystals are like piezo crystals used in piezo electric lighters or the ingnitors in gas heaters and gas water heaters in that their crystal structure is at the heart of the effects.

Think of the crystal structures as stacked billiard balls. There is are axis that runs from top to bottom, left to right, front to back.

In a peltier crystal you run a current from top to bottom then left gets hot and right get cold. Or heat the top and cool the bottom then current flows left to right.

In a piezo you squeeze on one axis and a voltage is produced on another axis.

I studied both in college and used them work projects.

Ben

Back