End of the WORLD, and down to "short" Rations. What (2) Two dried foods will I wish I had remaining...??

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
Thinking here for "example only": Beans & Pasta or Beans & Rice or What & What. Just pick "ONLY" (2) Two dry-long-term storage foods. Looking here for best nutritional combination value.

NOTE: Nothing personal, but not interested in "ANY" other wisdom.

Dried beans and whole barley. Both can be grown and harvested. Combined they make a complete protein.
I cook a LOT of dried Beans (after soaking) but never any whole grains (OK, yes rice). How would the Barley be cooked....??? Boiled...???? If so, roughly how long.....???

the very first thing to do in a short of food situation is STOP combining things especially CRAPBOhydrates and protien, they fight each other in the digestive tract.

I can't imagine I would ever need to go on "short-rations". I CAN imagine being injured or sick or disabled, and needing to modify food preparation "systems".

It be beans and dry corn...or beans and rice...

beans and corn because corn can be ground into flour or meal and can be nixtamalization process and becomes more nutritious and it becomes hominy or ground wet and used for tortillas..they call them something else i think..apa-somethings @Patchouli can help me out on the correct word.

If you dont do process of nixtamalization you need to eat greens often to not get sick from pellagra.

grind corn super fine and it cooks almost instantly dropped into boiling water...instants grits basically

lots of things and ways to cook.

on the other hand beans and rice are delicious...i love rice!

well heck...i probably failed you sourdough....to much extra blabbering and not the two word answer you wanted...sorry pal

It be beans and dry corn...or beans and rice...

beans and corn because corn can be ground into flour or meal and can be nixtamalization process and becomes more nutritious and it becomes hominy or ground wet and used for tortillas..they call them something else i think..apa-somethings @Patchouli can help me out on the correct word.

If you dont do process of nixtamalization you need to eat greens often to not get sick from pellagra.

grind corn super fine and it cooks almost instantly dropped into boiling water...instants grits basically

lots of things and ways to cook.

on the other hand beans and rice are delicious...i love rice!

well heck...i probably failed you sourdough....to much extra blabbering and not the two word answer you wanted...sorry pal
tada...i remembered

Arepas

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arepa

440px-Arepa_de_pabellon.jpg

Last edited:
I cook a LOT of dried Beans (after soaking) but never any whole grains (OK, yes rice). How would the Barley be cooked....??? Boiled...???? If so, roughly how long.....???
I’m diabetic so I can only eat a small amount of rice at one time. I throw my barley in a slow cooker for 8 hours and make a chicken stew. My Cream of Barley cereal I cook for 8 minutes in my low powered microwave. I’m sure that there are different directions on the package.

Thinking here for "example only": Beans & Pasta or Beans & Rice or What & What. Just pick "ONLY" (2) Two dry-long-term storage foods. Looking here for best nutritional combination value.

NOTE: Nothing personal, but not interested in "ANY" other wisdom.

"What (2) Two dried foods will I wish I had remaining...??"​

Freeze dried steak and freeze dried potatoes.

Ben

@elkhound I’m glad you remembered cuz I had no clue what you were talking about or why you thought I’d know. Never heard of it except when someone does something great: “Tadaaa!!”
i tadaaaed myself cause i remembered the word....lol.

"What (2) Two dried foods will I wish I had remaining...??"
I'll have Fresh Moose "Tenderloin" and fresh Red Salmon. (Surf & Turf Alaska style)

So, please tell me about "LENTILS". I confess I know zero about lentils. I have a lot as they come in the monthly "Senior Food Box". But I have never ever cooked them. Are there "different" types/species of lentils.

Last edited:
Well there's different colors...green, brown, red. They cook up fast, have protein, seasoning and adding other things to them all turns out pretty good. I don't think I'd eat them plain, but they're like rice, where they go good with lots of things. Just boil till soft, doesn't take long. Add some meat, some cut up small veg...really anything you like.

So, please tell me about "LENTILS". I confess I know zero about lentils. I have a lot as they come in the monthly "Senior Food Box". But I have never ever cooked them. Are there "different" types/species of lentils.
This blogger has a really good description of the different lentil colors and their uses. Some are more delicate in taste and texture than others.
https://www.liveeatlearn.com/types-of-lentils/

I mean... Rice n Beans (we prefer Small 'Red Salvadoran' - smaller than 'Kidney's (pack more in a given container-space) and Far more flavorful, etc) is a given.. Lentils and FD'd corn are a given, so...

I'd ensure plenty of Wheat-berries (to make Flour on-demand, vs storing already-ground..) and Quinoa. (Lots of protein, less Carbs than most Rices..)

Corn Masa Flour, Quinoa and Amaranth (plus a dash of salt and Water, of course) makes for an Amazing 'hardtack variant' that's Incredibly yummy / Super-Protienious and stores very well, long term. :cool:

So.. 'All of the Above'.. :)
jd

I would vote for Pinto beans and white rice. Long shelf life, and relatively easy to store and cook.

Sorry, but lentils won't even stay down. My mother used to eat them quite often, so we were forced to at least try them. IMHO they are disgusting. I doubt they have changed in the last 60 years. Sourdough, I would use the "try before you buy" philosophy here. You might want to see how they taste before you invest.

Lentils are nasty..gah...
I think it depends on how you cook and season them.

My first experience with lentils was when I was in college and one of my housemates made lentil stew. It had lots of vegetables in it. He ate it with a little vinegar as a seasoning. I have used vinegar as a seasoning a few times when making and eating lentil stew. I add lots of onions, celery, carrots, and other vegetables, depending on what I have. But more importantly, I add garlic and other spices. I often just go to my spice rack and grab whatever appeals to me at the moment.

One good thing about lentils is that they don't take long to cook like many other beans do.

Ever eat Indian dal? Yum!

There are a few different types of lentils and they can all be used to make dal. The recipe I posted has lots of spices, as is typical of dal. A bowl of dal over rice and a piece of naan bread is an excellent prepper meal. Lentils, rice, flour and spices. Lentils are easy to find in stores. Dal can be made from a variety of lentils and other beans, but is usually made with lentils. Some people think dal is a soup, and it is soup like, but is technically not considered a soup.

https://www.ambitiouskitchen.com/wprm_print/69007

The Best Dal Ever by Dada Eats
Cozy and nourishing dal made with yellow moong dal, warming spices, creamy coconut milk and a boost of veggies from fresh spinach. This beautiful dal recipe is packed with plant-based protein and fiber for the perfect, satisfying meal!

Keyword dal recipe, yellow lentil dal
Prep Time30minutes minutes
Cook Time1hour hour
Total Time1hour hour 30minutes minutes
Servings2 servings
Calories429cal
AuthorMonique Volz of AmbitiousKitchen.com

Ingredients
0.5 cup yellow moong dal or red split lentils
1.5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
0.5 yellow onion, diced
0.5 (2-inch) knob fresh ginger, grated
2.5 garlic cloves, sliced
0.25 teaspoon ground turmeric
0.75 teaspoons ground cumin
0.5 teaspoon ground coriander
0.25 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
0.5 teaspoon tomato paste
0.5 (15-ounce) can diced or crushed tomatoes with their juices
0.5 (13.5-ounce) can reduced fat coconut milk (or feel free to use full-fat if you prefer a richer dal)
1 cups vegetable broth
1 cups fresh baby spinach, roughly chopped
0.5 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
To garnish:
Fresh cilantro leaves, roughly chopped, for garnish
For serving:
Naan, flatbread, quinoa, or rice for serving
Instructions
Place the lentils in a medium bowl and cover them with water. Wash the lentils with your hand, tip out the water, and repeat this process until the water runs clear. Cover the lentils with fresh water and soak 30 minutes to 1 hour (this will allow them to cook faster).
Heat the olive oil in a large heavy pot over medium heat. When it begins to shimmer, add the onions, and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes until they start to become tender and translucent. Add the ginger and garlic, and cook with the onions for an additional 2 to 3 minutes until everything starts to brown slightly.
Stir in the turmeric, cumin, coriander, cayenne, and salt and black pepper. Sauté the masala for 2 to 3 minutes until it smells aromatic and darkens in color.
Add the tomato paste and cook until it deepens in color, 1 to 2 minutes. Now pour in the tomatoes. Continue to cook until the tomatoes reduce slightly, 3 to 4 minutes.
Add the coconut milk and vegetable broth to the pot. Simmer for about 5 minutes.
Now add the drained lentils. Cover the pot and simmer for about 30 minutes, or until the lentils are soft and the curry is thick. Add the spinach and stir until it wilts.
Add the lemon juice and cook, stirring frequently, for about 10 minutes, so the dal continues to thicken and become luscious. Feel free to simmer further to reach your desired consistency. Taste again and adjust seasonings as necessary.
Garnish the dal with chopped cilantro and serve with naan, flatbread, quinoa, or rice.
Notes
To store: store this creamy dal in airtight containers in the fridge for up to 4-5 days. Feel free to reheat it in the microwave or on the stovetop!
To freeze: let the dal completely cool and then transfer it to a freezer-safe container (or multiple containers for meal prep purposes). Freeze for up to 2 months. To reheat, first let it thaw in the refrigerator, then heat it in the microwave or on the stovetop.
Nutrition
Serving: 1serving (based on 4) | Calories: 429cal | Carbohydrates: 44.5g | Protein: 15.7g | Fat: 21.4g | Saturated Fat: 11.2g | Fiber: 10.1g | Sugar: 6.1g

There were several suggestions for "Potatoes & Something". Question, how would a person store potato long-term......??? Say five to ten years......??? Flakes maybe.....???

Oats and potatoes here

One good thing about lentils is that they don't take long to cook like many other beans do.
That could sure be a serious issue for many. Especially those only prepared for short term SHTF (Say 24 Months).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back