End of the WORLD, and down to "short" Rations. What (2) Two dried foods will I wish I had remaining...??

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Arepas are a Venezuelan food. There is a Venezuelan restaurant in Denver that sells them.
anything originating south of border is spanish/mexican food to me...generalization ya know...heck even texmex is mexican food...depends on what expert you ask....lol....not enough of expert to talk in detail..i am a generalist overall.

snippet from wiki

. It is similar to the Mexican gordita, the Salvadoran pupusa, the Ecuadorian tortilla de maíz,[5] and the Panamanian tortilla or changa.[6]

Last edited:
That could sure be a serious issue for many. Especially those only prepared for short term SHTF (Say 24 Months).
pressure cooker for the win !

..Sorry, but lentils won't even stay down...IMHO they are disgusting...

Lol, but My 'childhood Legume-trauma' was Lima Beans, urrrrrt 🤢🤮;)

Lentils are "OK", but, like many things (ie: Brussel Sprouts, etc) I think it's all in how you Prepare / season them.. Yah, I've had gag-worthy 'Sprout and Lentil-dishes - but also Wonderful ones (and all 3 of my Kids - Kids! - absolutely Love how I make Brussel Sprouts (sauteed in balsamic vinegar, sea salt, garlic, and Lots of fresh Lemon-juice..) and I think if one can accomplish making Kids Love Brussel sprouts - That's a Gold Star on the Fridge, fer sure! ;)

Heck, now I even like 'FD'd / salted Lima Beans', as a crunchy snack.. 👍 But yah, 'stewed' / barely-boiled LBs are Ipecac.. ;)

Question, how would a person store potato long-term......??? Say five to ten years......

Can ya 'afford' a Freeze Dryer? 🤔 I'd bet so, and That'll Do it, for sure. 👍

jd

There were several suggestions for "Potatoes & Something". Question, how would a person store potato long-term......??? Say five to ten years......??? Flakes maybe.....???
Potato flakes. They come in #10 cans at the LDS warehouse. All you need is hot water, and whatever else you want to improve the flavor. I add milk or cream instead of water, butter and salt.

You can also buy dehydrated hashbrowns. They come in a carton similar to the cardboard milk cartons. They need to be repackaged I would think for safety. You can also buy premade boxed potatoes with cheese mixes. I have no idea what the shelf life is for them. But, you could repackage them with oxygen absorbers.

lentils work real nice added to ground meat to extend it ...especially chili type items
I know a vegetarian who eats a lentil loaf. I have no idea what else is in it beside the lentils. I've never eaten it.

When I make soups, I often go to the pantry and select a few varieties of beans to add. I don't have canned lentils because they are so easy to cook, but that is a great idea. Some things like lentils can be used to extend what you have cooking in a pot.

I saw someone in another group post about making his first ever beans cooked from dried beans and how horrible they were. I asked what seasonings he used. Water, he cooked them in water and nothing else. Gag and vomit! That told me everything! I also read someone's blog post about black beans and how horrible they were. He opened a can of black beans and added nothing! Gross!

Many years ago, someone told me that many people have no idea about seasoning foods and I hadn't really noticed until then. And then I realized that he was absolutely right. What happens when someone cooks for the first time and has no idea about seasonings?

And all those beans and rice that preppers have will need to be seasoned to make them palatable!

I know a vegetarian who eats a lentil loaf. I have no idea what else is in it beside the lentils. I've never eaten it.

When I make soups, I often go to the pantry and select a few varieties of beans to add. I don't have canned lentils because they are so easy to cook, but that is a great idea. Some things like lentils can be used to extend what you have cooking in a pot.

I saw someone in another group post about making his first ever beans cooked from dried beans and how horrible they were. I asked what seasonings he used. Water, he cooked them in water and nothing else. Gag and vomit! That told me everything! I also read someone's blog post about black beans and how horrible they were. He opened a can of black beans and added nothing! Gross!

Many years ago, someone told me that many people have no idea about seasoning foods and I hadn't really noticed until then. And then I realized that he was absolutely right. What happens when someone cooks for the first time and has no idea about seasonings?

And all those beans and rice that preppers have will need to be seasoned to make them palatable!
i got in trouble once on a forum when i said ...people dont know how to cook....it got ugly for a bit...was cussed out too....lol...spelling and grammar nazis even piled in on me...it was ok...i got last laugh...dummies dont know how to cook...lol

i only use dry lentils....when i will be adding them to something i just pop them in instapot while i am cooking everything else on stove top...takes just a few minutes.

I think it depends on how you cook and season them.

My first experience with lentils was when I was in college and one of my housemates made lentil stew. It had lots of vegetables in it. He ate it with a little vinegar as a seasoning. I have used vinegar as a seasoning a few times when making and eating lentil stew. I add lots of onions, celery, carrots, and other vegetables, depending on what I have. But more importantly, I add garlic and other spices. I often just go to my spice rack and grab whatever appeals to me at the moment.

One good thing about lentils is that they don't take long to cook like many other beans do.

Ever eat Indian dal? Yum!

There are a few different types of lentils and they can all be used to make dal. The recipe I posted has lots of spices, as is typical of dal. A bowl of dal over rice and a piece of naan bread is an excellent prepper meal. Lentils, rice, flour and spices. Lentils are easy to find in stores. Dal can be made from a variety of lentils and other beans, but is usually made with lentils. Some people think dal is a soup, and it is soup like, but is technically not considered a soup.

https://www.ambitiouskitchen.com/wprm_print/69007

The Best Dal Ever by Dada Eats
Cozy and nourishing dal made with yellow moong dal, warming spices, creamy coconut milk and a boost of veggies from fresh spinach. This beautiful dal recipe is packed with plant-based protein and fiber for the perfect, satisfying meal!

Keyword dal recipe, yellow lentil dal
Prep Time30minutes minutes
Cook Time1hour hour
Total Time1hour hour 30minutes minutes
Servings2 servings
Calories429cal
AuthorMonique Volz of AmbitiousKitchen.com

Ingredients
0.5 cup yellow moong dal or red split lentils
1.5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
0.5 yellow onion, diced
0.5 (2-inch) knob fresh ginger, grated
2.5 garlic cloves, sliced
0.25 teaspoon ground turmeric
0.75 teaspoons ground cumin
0.5 teaspoon ground coriander
0.25 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
0.5 teaspoon tomato paste
0.5 (15-ounce) can diced or crushed tomatoes with their juices
0.5 (13.5-ounce) can reduced fat coconut milk (or feel free to use full-fat if you prefer a richer dal)
1 cups vegetable broth
1 cups fresh baby spinach, roughly chopped
0.5 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
To garnish:
Fresh cilantro leaves, roughly chopped, for garnish
For serving:
Naan, flatbread, quinoa, or rice for serving
Instructions
Place the lentils in a medium bowl and cover them with water. Wash the lentils with your hand, tip out the water, and repeat this process until the water runs clear. Cover the lentils with fresh water and soak 30 minutes to 1 hour (this will allow them to cook faster).
Heat the olive oil in a large heavy pot over medium heat. When it begins to shimmer, add the onions, and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes until they start to become tender and translucent. Add the ginger and garlic, and cook with the onions for an additional 2 to 3 minutes until everything starts to brown slightly.
Stir in the turmeric, cumin, coriander, cayenne, and salt and black pepper. Sauté the masala for 2 to 3 minutes until it smells aromatic and darkens in color.
Add the tomato paste and cook until it deepens in color, 1 to 2 minutes. Now pour in the tomatoes. Continue to cook until the tomatoes reduce slightly, 3 to 4 minutes.
Add the coconut milk and vegetable broth to the pot. Simmer for about 5 minutes.
Now add the drained lentils. Cover the pot and simmer for about 30 minutes, or until the lentils are soft and the curry is thick. Add the spinach and stir until it wilts.
Add the lemon juice and cook, stirring frequently, for about 10 minutes, so the dal continues to thicken and become luscious. Feel free to simmer further to reach your desired consistency. Taste again and adjust seasonings as necessary.
Garnish the dal with chopped cilantro and serve with naan, flatbread, quinoa, or rice.
Notes
To store: store this creamy dal in airtight containers in the fridge for up to 4-5 days. Feel free to reheat it in the microwave or on the stovetop!
To freeze: let the dal completely cool and then transfer it to a freezer-safe container (or multiple containers for meal prep purposes). Freeze for up to 2 months. To reheat, first let it thaw in the refrigerator, then heat it in the microwave or on the stovetop.
Nutrition
Serving: 1serving (based on 4) | Calories: 429cal | Carbohydrates: 44.5g | Protein: 15.7g | Fat: 21.4g | Saturated Fat: 11.2g | Fiber: 10.1g | Sugar: 6.1g
I like Indian food, so I'd try it.
Any other way I've tried lentils have been nasty tho..

I am going to go with Bens choices, just not eat them together. and of course the dehydrated potatoes have preserved butter with them , cause..........

Just for further clarification. I am not interested in growing any food at this point in my life. My goal is very long-term storage of foods that would keep someone alive. Ideally dried food that could be stored in glass containers for a decade or three.

Freeze Dried potatoes sliced thin and salted peppered. Beef or Deer Jerky red pepper seasoned.

I like lentil, it depends on the way you prepare them if they are slimy or not.

I also would go for some spinach cooked and freeze dried if need be,

It would take a lot to make me be without protein as long as there was game/fish of any kind.

It depends on where you are and what you can do as far as procurement methods allowed are.

You can hardly shoot around a heavily populated environment, or set traps that may snare pets or humans.

It would be a sling, bow and arrow, type thing.

Last edited:
One "clear" thing in these type threads is people are compelled to drift towards mentioning what they "like", what they feel "tastes" good.

I suspect that even among preppers (including so-called "serious" preppers) very few can think in terms of storing food for 5 or 10 or 35 years.

One "clear" thing in these type threads is people are compelled to drift towards mentioning what they "like", what they feel "tastes" good.

I suspect that even among preppers (including so-called "serious" preppers) very few can think in terms of storing food for 5 or 10 or 35 years.
one thing i am glad of is of these dried items that store for so long...i love them all to be honest.

one thing i been seeing from natives i was trying to share/show you in a previous post...dried salmon strips you can cut to length with scissors and you dip them in jar of seal oil and put a chunk of 'crackling on top together...it was a native way of eating.....another one was getting fish roe in spring time...how many know about that and putting fresh cut tree limbs in water they spawn on and then you collect it all.

i hope to not be tested in such a way since i eat clean....if i didnt like in past it all be on menu for me.

To store 10 yrs of dry food in gallon jars is going to take a crap ton of jars even for just one person who doesn't eat much. Food looks like more in storage than it actually is.

How long the shelf life will be, excluding storage conditions, will be determined by method of preservation. FD will take up the least volume and have the longest shelf life.

Legumes and rice is the quickest way to get 10 years up front and than add stuff to supplement them and make them taste better. I believe you have a lot of canned salmon. It and tuna is good for 10-15 years if kept cool and dry.

If your beans turn too hard to cook, have a way to grind them into flour and make something edible with that. Bean bannock with salt, rosemary and thyme cooked over a camp fire works.

I would never throw out old beans; just add new ones every five years.

I would make sure to have at least a hundred plus lbs of salt, up to 500 lbs sugars, molasses, 2 lbs of cream of tarter and 50 lbs min of baking soda.

After that I would want endless amounts of freeze dried eggs, onions, celery, pepper, potatoes, mushrooms and lots of freeze dried spices. I would add freeze dried milk for extra luxury living.

I can't decide. Either soybeans, garbanzo beans, or small red beans AND barley, quinoa, or amaranth. It depends on which seems most cost-effective. Quinoa is considered more of a seed.
Side note/honorable mention to add to the discussion: "Recipes for a small planet by Frances Moore Lappe," discusses complimentary proteins as @Caribou was mentioning, the way to get more complete nutrition and protein from beans and grains when you've had to possibly become a vegetarian. Good book, old and out of print, but available online.
Something else not mentioned, if you're living near the shore, consumption of seaweed. Used frequently if not daily in Japanese diets.
"It's the best dietary source of iodine, which helps support your thyroid gland. It also contains other vitamins and minerals, such as vitamin K, B vitamins, zinc, and iron, along with antioxidants that help protect your cells from damage."

Agreed.

Few are storing food out beyond a decade.

.....but the reality is this........most push the "store what you eat and eat what you store" concept. But that doesn't really work when you get into storage of several years to more than a decade of food.

That sort of depth of stored foods needs to really focus upon the best, longest shelf life foods and packaging methods.

I am glad I took that approach a decade ago.

Those extreme shelf life foods have got to be quite expensive now......but I still eat them regularly (but not constantly) to monitor their condition and keep in practice how to prepare them......so that means I am still buying them......but in smaller quantities.

I am glad I wont need to replace them anytime soon.

They are about a third of the way through their shelf life at most.

I can't decide. Either soybeans, garbanzo beans, or small red beans AND barley, quinoa, or amaranth. It depends on which seems most cost-effective. Quinoa is considered more of a seed.
Side note/honorable mention to add to the discussion: "Recipes for a small planet by Frances Moore Lappe," discusses complimentary proteins as @Caribou was mentioning, the way to get more complete nutrition and protein from beans and grains when you've had to possibly become a vegetarian. Good book, old and out of print, but available online.
Something else not mentioned, if you're living near the shore, consumption of seaweed. Used frequently if not daily in Japanese diets.
"It's the best dietary source of iodine, which helps support your thyroid gland. It also contains other vitamins and minerals, such as vitamin K, B vitamins, zinc, and iron, along with antioxidants that help protect your cells from damage."
Another source of iodine is black walnuts...its why people allergic to shell fish have same reaction to the BW's.

yall do ya own research on this...i aint no dr or give dr advice or responsible for bad bellies.

Last edited:
Because of our weather and most likely war I would encourage everyone to have a lot of wheat berries and/or flour stored. The reason is wheat is not easy to harvest without the right equipment. Flour is essential in my humble opinion. You can get big bags of Wheat Berries and flour from Azure Standard and of course Walmart. If you are in need of a less expensive way to purchase a lot of wheat berries go to your local Farmers Coop and buy Feed Wheat. For Wheat Berries you will have to winnow it, rinse it on a screen and then let dry before you store it. But, it only costs $0.20 /lb.

Did everyone see where our government is war gaming the affect on food production after nuclear war?

Hey Amish, what type of equipment do you guys have to harvest wheat? As you no doubt know, harvesting 100% by hand is not easy and takes a lot of calories to harvest.
I don't. I get it from my cousin, when he harvests. I have no desire to do it by hand. Ha. I do have a hand grinder, but prefer my electric grinder, and I can run that off my solar charged battery with an inverter.

Back