F350 with 7.3l Powerstroke … issues

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ford made their biggest mistakes ever with the 6.0
No, the 6.4 was their biggest mistake ever.

I really like my bulletproofed 2007 6.0.

The 6.0 was studied so much trying to figure out what was going on that all the faults are known and correctable now.

My grandson just sought out and bought a 2006 with the 6.0.

And absent Ford's factory added 100HP tune the IH spec 6.0 soldiers on in step vans and other vehicles to this day.

The New Holland powered medium duty trucks were the best Ford ever had.

As for the Algae in the tanks, you need to clean them good put a good screen filter in the lines first before they go to the regular filter to catch the stuff that turns loose from the tanks, OR go to a junk yard and buy a clean tank. run on it for a while then get another tank and clean your lines out with good cleaner run the thing daily about 50 to 100 miles till it all gets done.

No, the 6.4 was their biggest mistake ever.

I really like my bulletproofed 2007 6.0.

The 6.0 was studied so much trying to figure out what was going on that all the faults are known and correctable now.

My grandson just sought out and bought a 2006 with the 6.0.

And absent Ford's factory added 100HP tune the IH spec 6.0 soldiers on in step vans and other vehicles to this day.
Debatable. I’m not familiar with the 6.4 but I know the factory 6.0 had serious issues that would develop even when well maintained. Yes the know problems could be overcome, but it was ever present until properly addressed

I always felt Fords best engine was the 300 c.i. inline (straight) six. It was made basically for overland refrigeration units.

Horsepower is for gaining speed. Like going from 0 to 60 in under 3 seconds. Or, completing the 1/4 mile in under 9 seconds in the 130 -140 mph range.

The in line 6 … there’s a reason why the big rigs use them: torque and pulling power

Last edited:
Yeah those 505 to 700 HP Detroit, Cummins, Mack, and Volvos sure are better than the old 318 8V71
even a lot better than the 430 8V92TT in their day.

Having a 2over 18 speed and a 355 gear makes for an easy ride and no shifting the stick going up, just drop back to 5 to 10 over the posted and the gear that keeps you there and go over the top unless you are hauling a 100 ton crane or excavator, 85,000 no problem.

Debatable. I’m not familiar with the 6.4 but I know the factory 6.0 had serious issues that would develop even when well maintained. Yes the know problems could be overcome, but it was ever present until properly addressed
Yet you say the 6.0 is worse?

People still look for and buy 6.0 trucks, while the 6.4 is universally avoided.

Last edited:
Yet you say the 6,0 is worse?

People still look for and buy 6.0 trucks, while the 6.4 is universally avoided.
There was a miscommunication somewhere.

I don’t pretend to know more than I do…. I thought the 6.0 was Ford’s biggest mistake. Now and taking your word for it - the 6.4 was worse, maybe the worsts. As I’ve said - I know nothing about the 6.4

To the best of my knowledge, the 6.0 is fine, until the engine oil cooler goes to hell and leaks coolant into the intake system.

There is a good fix to that, modify the oil cooler, and reprogram the computer appropriately. Not exactly easy though, I’ve been there and done that. I’m sure it’s common knowledge now and a standard mod for anyone with the 6.0

Last edited:
To the best of my knowledge, the 6.0 is fine, until the engine oil cooler goes to hell and leaks coolant into the intake system.

There is a good fix to that, modify the oil cooler, and reprogram the computer appropriately. Not exactly easy though, I’ve been there and done that. I’m sure it’s common knowledge now and a standard mod for anyone with the 6.0
It is the EGR cooler that cracks and introduces coolant into the engine.

A situation brought on by the clogging of the water passages in the oil cooler. Which is just upstream from it.

Aside from the already mentioned EGR cracking, this also causes very elevated oil temps which can (among other things) actually melt the plastic standpipe in oil filter housing. Introducing melted plastic (that hardens as engine cools) throughout the oiling system and into the ejection system as well since that uses the high pressure oil to fire the injectors.

It is the EGR cooler that cracks and introduces coolant into the engine.

A situation brought on by the clogging of the water passages in the oil cooler. Which is just upstream from it.

Aside from the already mentioned EGR cracking, this also causes very elevated oil temps which can (among other things) actually melt the plastic standpipe in oil filter housing. Introducing melted plastic (that hardens as engine cools) throughout the oiling system and into the ejection system as well since that uses the high pressure oil to fire the injectors.
That brings back memories. What I remember today was pulling the intake manifold, removing a cylindrical looking thing, tig welding it and putting it all back together.

But anyway - thus my reasoning for saying the engine has design flaws. Paraphrasing. And thus why those engine have a bad reputation. It never happened until the truck was out of warranty, and was an expensive repair for the owner.

And moving on, I made a plan for the old 7.3

After removing and cleaning the fuel filter assembly, as I’ve mentioned, hook up an independent/makeshift 5 gallon fuel tank using only clean fuel lines…. then off-load the old waisted camper and trash it after salvaging appliances, components, etc that are still usable.

And…. Wash the truck. A clean truck always runs better. Might even touch-up one small patch surface body rust.

Then the repair/rebuild/replace list will grow. Can’t wait, lol. But then I am motivated to make this a reliable and respectable truck, once again.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back