Farmers' Almanac

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morgan101

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Don't know if any members here subscribe or follow the Farmers' Almanac, but this popped up on You Tube with their prediction for this coming Winter.

TSco has them for $9.95 on a display near the check-out...!!!

Old Farmer's Almanac, the original. Published every year since 1792.
https://almanac.com

Here is their winter forecast:
https://www.almanac.com/winter-extended-forecast-farmers-almanac
Old_Farmer%27s_Almanac_Evergreen_Cover.png

Last edited:

The Winter Forecasts From The 2025 Old Farmer’s Almanac

Ready for a topsy-turvy forecast? If you live in a warm-weather state—or if you’re a snowbird—you’re in for an unusual winter. Today, we visit the Southeast—including the CAROLINAS, GEORGIA, and FLORIDA—and the Southwestern states. See details of all our regional forecast summaries! P.S. Just 2 more days until the official release of The 2025 Old Farmer’s Almanac!

Have seen it by Check-out Lines since August 1st...2024... :ghostly:

When I lived in the far north I would get the Farmers Almanac every year.. It would usually be close on long term weather predictions.. I used to follow the weather out of Anchorage and most times would be 24, occasionally 48 hours after them for weather changes quite predictably..

My folks get me one for Christmas each year. The other night Ma called and asked what kind of winter they were predicting. I told her I didn’t know because almanac only goes through Nov 😂. I was a nice daughter and looked it up on their website.

My stepdad always gets me a copy of Blums Farmers almanac for Christmas every year. I use them quite often I've kept the last several years to review at times
I looked Blums up and it doesn't seem like the same one I'm used to. I was kinda disappointed the last one I bought a couple years ago. Didn't have near the info in it I thought it would. Yours has an offering of a few things on their website.

The Farmers’ Almanac Weather Formula​

The Farmers’ Almanac weather predictions are based on a formula originally developed in 1818 by our founding editor, David Young. This formula incorporates many of the various techniques mentioned here, as well as sunspot activity, tidal action of the Moon, the position of the planets, and more. To safeguard this valuable formula, the editors of the Farmers’ Almanac keep its weather prognosticator – Caleb Weatherbee- identity and the exact formula as brand secrets.

More here ; https://www.farmersalmanac.com/predicting-weather

Fun Facts :

While some may question how a publication that started over 200 years ago can make such accurate extended weather forecasts, the Farmers’ Almanac editors like to remind everyone that this formula has been time-tested, challenged, and approved for centuries. The Farmers’ Almanac is the oldest source of consecutively published weather forecasts, even longer than the National Weather Service.

Unlike your local news, government, or commercial weather service, the Almanac’s forecasts are calculated two years in advance. Once the new edition is printed, the editors never go back to change or update its forecasts the way other local sources do.

Though weather forecasting, and long-range forecasting, in particular, remains an inexact science, many longtime Almanac followers maintain that our forecasts are 80% to 85% accurate.

A Secret Weather Formula​

The Old Farmer’s Almanac has predicted the weather since our founding in 1792—when George Washington was president and actively farming at Mount Vernon. (Fun fact: One of Washington’s greatest preoccupations during his agricultural career was to eschew single crop farming; in 1785–86, his diaries mention planting barley, clover, corn, carrots, cabbage, flax, millet, oats, peas, potatoes, spelt, turnips, and wheat, among other crops.)

Our weather forecast methodology stems from a formula devised by our founder, Robert B. Thomas. Thomas believed that Earth’s weather was influenced by sunspots, which are magnetic storms on the surface of the Sun, and this factored heavily in his forecasts.

Over the years, we have refined and enhanced Thomas’s formula with state-of-the-art technology and modern science.

https://www.almanac.com/how-old-farmers-almanac-predicts-weather

Latest posts

Back