Favorite Fair, Carnival Foods...

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Horton

Old Bush Bear
Neighbor
State fair is day 4 of 12 today.. Evening news saying they have already sold a record number of ..fried dill pickles.. and ice cream treats from the dairy barn.. Saying they typically sell 160,000 orders of fried pickles and a like number of ice cream treats for the season..

My favorites at the fair the day my son and I went we had a ..guy day.. and grazed our way from one end to the other.. and back... We started with ..Scotch Eggs.. boiled egg wrapped in pork sausage, deep fried with horseradish sauce.. Maple and cream in coffee.. Dan had all the cold milk you could drink for 50 cents.. (now $3) and a chocolate brownie the size of a Texas toast size bread sandwich.. That was breakfast.. We walked around a lot then decided what to have for lunch..

I guess I'm the odd man out... I despise 'fair food'. It started with cotton candy, couldn't wait to try it when I was a little kid. Boy was I disappointed, disgusting nothingness that stuck to my face and hands, not worth the money or effort. 🤣 Funnel cakes are edible but i'd still rather eat before I get to the fair and spend my money on the rides.

In the far north.... There were 2 local women who had a booth at the farmers markets and provincial exposition (fair) that had a sign that said ...Indian Fry Bread... No political correct, just direct and understandable.. And good.. They had the usual sugar, cinnamon and jam flavors as well as Saskatoon berry jam, what they called low bush cranberry (lingonberry)... Both of these were local wild berries..

Local salmon dishes.. Coffee with Quebec maple syrup..

Yes.. Too many things are deep fried, but it is only once a year.. Roasted corn on the cob in the husk and chocolate chip cookies are good.. Church burger stand has a WONDERFUL chicken wild rice soup with local wild rice..

don't like any of it, only reason I would go to a fair now is to look at the livestock
after living in Orlando most of my life and having been on GOOD rides at all the theme parks, I would never get on one of those rickety looking things at the fair

I'm with Bacpacker on this one: Funnel cakes and barbequed Brats (bratwurst). It has been a very long time since I have been to a fair.

Not a fan of carnival food. Last year we tried a deep fried snickers or some thing or other. Not good. Did have a gyro for lunch, was pretty hungry. It was good but three times the price it really should be. The fair hasn't started here yet, but will, soon. Little granddaughter likes the rides. I like the animals. Husband doesn't like to go at all.

I used to like the corn dogs and brats with onions..but both are kinda heavy on the system ..haven't been to a fair in awhile.
The one here was really unorganized when I went. I hear it has gotten better tho. I'm not into the riding death traps, been to dozens of rodeos already and not into getting drunk at the beer garden either n risk a dui trying to get home so..ehh..

The San Diego County Fair has fantastic cinnamon rolls. They’ve also got a booth called Chicken Charlie’s that was so popular it got turned into a local restaurant. Most of Chicken Charlie’s stuff is deep-fried, but their real winner is grilled shrimp over rice stuffed into half a pineapple. That is good eats.

The local county fair here is pretty small. We usually hit one of the food trucks, whatever the husband can have safely. Haven’t been to the state fair yet, but I do enjoy going — mostly to check out the art exhibits and the garden exhibits.

Latest posts

Back