Features (operating skills) of "MAXIMUM" MPG in an ATV.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
Please don't GUESS. I can GUESS, Flawed guess could "conceivably" be fatal.

Clearly 2WD will get better milage then 4WD. What other conditions would maximize MPG..?? Is there a sweet spot in the MPH..?? Would creeping along at 20 MPH render better MPG then 45 MPH..??

"Might" be compelled to cover long distance on a large & heavy ATV, with only finite amount of fuel. I suspect the machine will do 70+ MPH. But is there a sweet spot in the speed that greatly enhances MPG.

In my experience (having owned over a dozen ATV's of various sizes), your best mileage is achieved more by RPM than by speed and unless you have a tach, you have to go by ear. Be in whatever gear you need to get through the terrain but keep your engine RPM's just high enough where there is no engine bogging. Somewhere between 1800-2400 RPM's seems to be the sweet spot for my machines (Honda, Suzuki & Kaw).

If your machine is both auto and manual (normally push button manual), being in the manual setting lets you control the engine better. The auto's run a bit higher RPM's.

I don't check MPG's regularly but where I live (very hilly), I'd guess I only get around 10 MPG's.

For carrying extra fuel, I found this flat style of spare tank the best as you can just load on top of it.
1726869301029.png

best mileage is achieved more by RPM than by speed and unless you have a tach, you have to go by ear.
Machine has a digital Tachometer. And Thank You.

I'm not going to ask what you're driving but if it has a digital tach, I'm guessing it has other things like a trip odometer.
If it does, have you tried:
Fill the tank
Drive 10-20 miles at something like 2400 RPM's (average).
Re-fill the tank and see how much fuel it used.

Repeat at 2000 RPM's and check your results.

I was just out mowing and thinking (but moot now since you already have the machine) that my diesel side-by-side can go a lot further distance than my ATV.
It doesn't seem to matter what RPM's I run the diesel at but I constantly get over 2 hours of run time per gallon. I think it has an 8-gallon tank which means 16 hours run time. Yea, it's slow but at even 12-13 MPH, I can go nearly 200 miles. My day-to-day ATV (a Honda 400) may go 50 miles.

I'm not going to ask what you're driving but if it has a digital tach, I'm guessing it has other things like a trip odometer.
If it does, have you tried:
Fill the tank
Drive 10-20 miles at something like 2400 RPM's (average).
Re-fill the tank and see how much fuel it used.

It is a CanAm 800 and only has 72 miles on it in 18 months. I never cared about the MPG till this week. And the MPG

and don't get sucked into the high octane gas fantasy, yes it will maybe allow it to make more, wide open throttle power, but lower octane burns faster and results in better MPG at part and light load

an other trick that greatly helps milage, if it is safe to do so , let the downhill momentum help up the other side.

Latest posts

Back