Features (operating skills) of "MAXIMUM" MPG in an ATV.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The trip I am preparing for would be a Bug'out trip. So, highly unlikely that will ever happen. But need to have a plan, just in case.

Just a heads-up, riding on pavement is probably going to eat your tires up. 100 miles on pavement will most likely wear them down more than 1000 miles of off-road.

Have you considered aux storage? You can carry extra fuel and supplies. Just watch where your exhaust is pointing if you put fuel back there.

1726956359385.png

1726956413645.png

Reactions: Neb
Ok considering OP post and where he is from.

I have all my vehicles as 4w except 2. This includes my SxS and tractors, 7 in total.

My tractors are very little out of 4w, too hilly here. I need to be safe.

Instead of trying to figure out MPG in the best of conditions, shouldn’t you be trying to figure out in the worst conditions and what you need in Alaska?

Reactions: Neb
Instead of trying to figure out MPG in the best of conditions, shouldn’t you be trying to figure out in the worst conditions and what you need in Alaska?
Do you understand this thread is about thinking ahead for a remotely possible, "One TIME only SHTF emergency trip". This is NOT about any other use of the ATV.

I have over 65 Years experience operating ATV's.

Do you understand this thread is about thinking ahead for a remotely possible, "One TIME only SHTF emergency trip". This is NOT about any other use of the ATV.
I would plan for worse case scenario. It would cover you in the best case. JMHO

That exactly is the "ENTIRE POINT" of this thread.
Since your first 3 posts are about traveling 100m to bug out under 2w conditions. You can see my supposed confusion.

I would be planning that trip in 4w. With enough fuel to make it +.

I cannot solve your problem with ATV, I have a SxS and it’s a different platform.

Your optimum speed goes out to the wind with weather. That will chew up your fuel.

Sometimes you can lead a horse to water but can’t make him drink. I only proposed a different way to think about it.

Since your first 3 posts are about traveling 100m to bug out under 2w conditions. You can see my supposed confusion.
I never said it would be 2 Wheel Drive conditions, I said to get the highest MPG well likely be prudent to only run in 2 wd and fairly slow, maybe as slow as 20 MPH, both basic ideas to maximize MPG.

Latest posts

Back