Following Creation Farm 2024 Goat Kidding Thread!!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The wife has been thinking that she wants to raise some goats now. She thinks they're cute. I've got an area behind the house that's about 10 acres that I'm fencing in for pigs. I figured they can share it with goats too. I've already got the posts and barb wire up and about 300 feet of hog panels up. During winter I figured I'd move the pigs and goats in to the chicken run. It'd be a lot easier feeding and keeping the water open.

The wife has been thinking that she wants to raise some goats now. She thinks they're cute. I've got an area behind the house that's about 10 acres that I'm fencing in for pigs. I figured they can share it with goats too. I've already got the posts and barb wire up and about 300 feet of hog panels up. During winter I figured I'd move the pigs and goats in to the chicken run. It'd be a lot easier feeding and keeping the water open.
That's great! If you are getting them for pets (and maybe milk in the future) I would suggest Nigerian Dwarfs. They are a smaller breed and yet still produce a good amount of milk, and they are easier to manage because of their size as well. But maybe I am biased...😜
If you do end up getting goats in the future, feel free to post them in this thread, I would love to see them!

That's great! If you are getting them for pets (and maybe milk in the future) I would suggest Nigerian Dwarfs. They are a smaller breed and yet still produce a good amount of milk, and they are easier to manage because of their size as well. But maybe I am biased...😜
If you do end up getting goats in the future, feel free to post them in this thread, I would love to see them!
I'm not sure what we'll do with the goats yet, but the wife wants the dwarf type. Maybe we can sell them for meat.
I've been around cattle my whole life, not sure that I could bring myself to milk a goat. I've never tried goat milk, and have never eaten one either.
I'm not even sure how many that we want to start out with, maybe 25 or so. We've got a lot to learn.

I'm not sure what we'll do with the goats yet, but the wife wants the dwarf type. Maybe we can sell them for meat.
I've been around cattle my whole life, not sure that I could bring myself to milk a goat. I've never tried goat milk, and have never eaten one either.
I'm not even sure how many that we want to start out with, maybe 25 or so. We've got a lot to learn.
It is always a learning process. 😊
Nigerian Goat milk is the best goat milk because it has the highest butterfat % out of all goats. Their meat also tastes good, but if you get a dwarf breed you will not get as much meat as you would from say a Boer goat. I would do some research and figure out what the best goat breed would be to fit in best to your guy's needs and wants. But feel free to keep us updated and ask any questions! One good resource to have if you are getting goats is The Goat Spot forum. Their are a lot of knowledgeable and helpful goat owners on there.

Latest posts

Back