Food shortages are here and getting worse.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hay just about doubled 3 years ago and was in short supply for a while. I hate when they import from Nevada. The dust that gets kicked out throwing bales makes me wear a mask. I think there might some rye in it.

Interesting. We haven't had any shortages that I know of, but we only buy from a couple places so I wouldn't know really. I haven't heard any complaints, though.
We don't really have any food shortages here neither, we got to 90% same stuff as always. Non food looks a bit different, since Covid in 2020 it's not always everything everytime aviable, but you can order and mostly you get it in one or two weeks.
But food gone expensive, increases at least by 20 to 30%. OK, at least everything gone more expensive..

We are just about to the second cutting. So if you need good hay, maybe look to the south. During the really bad drought a few years ago, people were hooking up huge tractor trailers, driving north a couple of States, buying and then trucking it back here to sell. It would be gone in a day. Sometimes you have to get a bit creative.
We're fine on hay here. Several years ago during a hay shortage I had to go to Oregon, Washington and Canada to get hay.

In my department, I keep ordering certain items every day I can and we just get shorted. Some items for weeks now. Colby Jack, Post Oak Gouda, Post Oak Cheddar, Locatelli, Don Juan 6mo, Rondin and Bucheron. Other are just a hit and miss. Today we were shorted Pepper Jack. That has never been an issue and yet here were are. My area has slowed down since I work with the highend cheeses. Seems like people are cutting back to a point. At this point, I could actually do all without the 2 other girls, but since I am having to do some classes, I still need the added help. Some I have to drive an hour away to a BIG city.

On the hay Delima , that is why my prepping plan is factored into not needing hay for survival after SHTF . The way I look at it if hay of much amount is needed then motorized equipment will be needed which = fuel will be needed . A relatively small amount though could be cut and dried then loose stored . But I am supposing the livestock most people have isn't part of the SHTF plan but is for the days we are now in whereas we still have fuel and motorized equipment .

On the hay Delima , that is why my prepping plan is factored into not needing hay for survival after SHTF . The way I look at it if hay of much amount is needed then motorized equipment will be needed which = fuel will be needed . A relatively small amount though could be cut and dried then loose stored . But I am supposing the livestock most people have isn't part of the SHTF plan but is for the days we are now in whereas we still have fuel and motorized equipment .
People put up hay using horses for hundreds of years. Actually it was only fairly recently that it went mechanized. Horse drawn hay equipment is still available. There are still people around that use horses for farming and cutting hay. A lot of old barns still have the gear for loading loose hay in the barn from wagons. Everything is still available.

My sister used FB and other sources to find folks selling their dog cages. Those cages, about 36” wide for the Does and 30” wide for the Bucks are working very well for her. She got some of them for $20 each. I even bought 15 of them from her…in case I need to expand. She puts smaller wire underneath and a little ways up the cages with kits in them. They are working perfectly!

You just need a strong back and some sharp tools to harvest hay. The Amish do it every year. I can't think of a long term survival situation where you wouldn't need hay unless you live in a climate where you can rotate your grazing all year long.

...Or I suppose if one were a vegan nudist who used only pressed oil based soaps and had no draft animals.

I have so many witty quips on the tip of my tongue about Alicia Silverstone, but I just can't choose one.

So now "they" are admiting to alterating the weather.

2.6 million doesn't seem like very much. There would have to be a few $200,000 hammers to be found somewhere in the budget.

My two cents- stored grain should be a top concern due to the space required to grow it. Vegetables and such can be intensively grown in greenhouses, but it would be hard to grow enough grain in a residential/hobby hoop house to feed yourself for a whole year.

I'm up to 460 pounds of red and white wheat berries.

My two cents- stored grain should be a top concern due to the space required to grow it. Vegetables and such can be intensively grown in greenhouses, but it would be hard to grow enough grain in a residential/hobby hoop house to feed yourself for a whole year.

So true. Which is why so many of us have hundreds of pounds of different grains and rice stored in mylar and 55 gal buckets!!

This is not to brag, but to encourage others to gather wheat grains. Just checked my stocks list and am at 1,815 lbs of wheat berries and some hundreds of flour. Have been recently adding to the flour stocks, so I don’t have an exact count. I need more of both types to cover us for long term. Don’t want to have to grow wheat for at least several years.

Here Is my new Oat Roller. Works really well. Marga is the brand and is made in Italy.

1682176462774.jpeg

I have 2 of these wondermills. And an attachment for my Kitchenaid.

Had to laugh when I read your post, as our prepping is so similar! I have two Wondermills and love them! Did not buy the attachment for my KitchenAid, but perhaps I should. Did purchase 4 or 5 ( lost track of exact number LOL) less expensive mills. Have a couple corn mills too. I bought the extra cheaper grain mills for neighbors or trade.

I waited too late and ended up with one red one. Really prefer the white. They went out of stock for a long period of time.

Latest posts

Back