Food storage containers (free)

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patchouli

Gatekeeper
Staff member
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
@Sourdough has the thread going about storing salt and i didn't want to detract from it.
@Neb I knew some folks in PA, as you well know, who knew where to get large containers that had originally had apple juice stored in them. So any manufacturing facility...he would see the empty containers sitting on the lot and finally asked if he could have any. He was told to take as many as he wanted. Well...don't tell any of us stuff like that, right?

Can They Ship them...?!?

Sometimes you can get free buckets from bakeries. Some do sell them for a few dollars. This is what I did when I first started food storage. I quickly figured out that I preferred to buy new buckets and gamma seal lids.

I have had great luck on Craigslist finding different containers and other things. You can create an account, and then create a watch for when certain items become available. You can get an email to let you know about the listings.

The thing about Craigslist is that you have to respond as soon as possible, or what you want will be gone. Someone asked me to let them know when glass panes were available. I did, and I let him know. A week later he told me he hadn't responded yet. Well, those glass panes were long gone.

Another place to keep a watch for free items is Buy Nothing groups on Facebook. Facebook Marketplace is another place to find free items.

Nextdoor Neighbor is an internet group where people buy, sell, giveaway things.

There is a group called Freecycle where people list things to give away or what they want. I have found this group to be difficult to participate in because all the requests run together. Again, you need to register to participate.

Latest posts

Back