Food, when no food is available

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frodo

Walk with God, You will never be lost
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
right here right now maybe later over there
In this situation all hell has broke loose and the world is upside down
No transportation, no communication, no power, nothing, hunters have all but killed everything. You are literally eating cock roaches to survive
At night sitting at your camp fire you are talking in low tones with a guy you met
Sorry guy But I am eyeballing that nice looking thigh you have
Question is
What is ok in your book of morals to do in order for you to survive?
Murder?
Cannibalism?
Theft?

When is the time or is the time ever right
For the preservation of your life for you to walk away from your moral compass?

never..ever..never..to all of the above.

i plan on doing everything in my power to produce as much food as possible from day one of any event. plan on going into full blown hunter,gatherer,farmer mode. one big thing for me is after only eating biblical clean for well over a decade now many things are not edible to me. i had to change my shtf plans back then.

i have a very small shelf unit i made in kitchen and just it holds close to 160 pints and 20 or so quart jars. this along with 50# of rice and a few other dry basics i can live at least 6 months or longer.

keeping several 100# of basics around will go a long ways to make the above decisions way easier..to not do it/them for average person.

plan on setting eggs to hatch on day one. yes..theres non electric incubators and various ways to hatch more eggs.

since c-19 and rise in canning lid prices i refuse to use the ones i have or pay the high price for them. i am yet to see them in local stores in 3 years in any large quantity like pre c-19.changed my plans to grow more food that stores in cellar or dry in jars..corn and beans in jar and squash in cellar...potatoes,turnips,carrot,parsnips and more.

food-cellar.vegetables.preserved-food.winter-use.shutterstock_221304250.jpg

Elkhound . I like your set up
But, let’s talk about keeping your stores
I see a garage door
Your stores are not protected,
Lemmie ax you something
If shtf right now. This very minute with out warning. How long do you think you cache of supplies will be safe from mairaders? If you have stores of food you need a bunker to protect them
Seek out a forum liberal gun owners. Or something like that
Join up and hang out just observing
Those o idiots survival plan is to take from preppers. They are comical and think just owning an ar makes them Rambo but even a blind rat can find cheese.

I will probably die trying to protect our animals , I know I repeat myself but we don't have a small army to protect what we have, so we will probably get shot
Sonya. I have a plan for that, it might or might not work
But I have a bottle of poisoned whiskey ( unopened, sealnintact)

That sits on the counter, if I see I can not fight off a group . retreat out the back and abandon everything
They will open that bottle and I will move around and be in sniper position
They can have everything and I will take it back

A lot of it probably depends on the exact situation. For example if the grid goes down , we will probably have some time , we are not near a city and at first people are not going to try to go after farm animals on top of a mountain. They will get the ones closer to town first.
So we would have a few days at least to plan . I am afraid to look up details online and have the .gov standing in front of my door. But I think I would try to remove the bridge so it would be even harder to get to us since they would have to cross the river

I don't buy the hunters killed everything argument- but that's a different discussion.

No to cannibalism, theft or murder.

Yes to self defense.

Concerning food, hunger is the best sauce- while you might not enjoy a big juicy grub there is bounty of food that is just laying around waiting for someone with a good work ethic and basic knowledge to utilize- acorns to smash, roots to dig, greens to collect.. for protein, sure bugs I guess but there are several other less desirable critters that can effectively supplement your diet- small crawfish, song birds, mice, frogs etc. The time is now to learn and practice those skills so you don't end up as a person who's so weak and stupid as to pick murder over all the less desireable food creation provides.

Imagine compromising your eternal soul for a meal... that's pretty pathetic. So I guess in that event +1 to starvation.

It's not likely that anyone will try coming up here to take what we have. Most people around here have way more (livestock) than we do. Between the chickens, deer/elk/bear, cattle, small game, garden, orchard, foraging, etc, we always have a surplus to share with people. We live in a very sparsly populated area that in certain times of the year it can be very difficult for most people to find their way up here on foot. I'm not too worried.

In this situation all hell has broke loose and the world is upside down
No transportation, no communication, no power, nothing, hunters have all but killed everything. You are literally eating cock roaches to survive
At night sitting at your camp fire you are talking in low tones with a guy you met
Sorry guy But I am eyeballing that nice looking thigh you have
Question is
What is ok in your book of morals to do in order for you to survive?
Murder?
Cannibalism?
Theft?

When is the time or is the time ever right
For the preservation of your life for you to walk away from your moral compass?
I know enough I would probably be OK until winter in the suburbs or rural areas.
Otherwise.
theft? depends on how bad it will hurt them and if I like them or not.
Cannibalism? Probably when the rats run out.
Murder. define murder. actively hunting and stalking? I'm too old for that crap, so no. Self-defense, yes. which brings us back to cannibalism. a diet of human flesh will wreck your nervous system. I'm betting if I make jerky I can trade it to somebody for something else, however. a little pork never hurt anybody. LMAO. I bit a guy's ear off in a fight once, we taste nasty.

sorry yall......the root cellar is just a random picture from internet.

i have plastered garden harvest pictures for years now on various forums that lead to this forum...most know what i do. grow more food folks..be a producer of something !

well what the heck..one of my tater pictures...harvested 10 bushel that year.

75484-1ca9449fac41c45c5fbaed2a43135a68.jpg

dry beans drying down before going into jar

72168-03d659dd17d8e8b5a24e1257dea44386.jpg

sorry yall......the root cellar is just a random picture from internet.

i have plastered garden harvest pictures for years now on various forums that lead to this forum...most know what i do. grow more food folks..be a producer of something !

well what the heck..one of my tater pictures...harvested 10 bushel that year.

View attachment 120005

dry beans drying down before going into jar

View attachment 120004
We all know it is wise to not tell or share photos of what we have, and so do you. Random internet photos of what people have are out there.
I know there are many things I could never do, even cannibalism.
When no food is available, it is good to look the part. Know what can be foraged and let others know that is what you are doing, foraging for your own food. I think we can even be practicing some foraging now, even if we have a well stocked pantry.

I know enough I would probably be OK until winter in the suburbs or rural areas.
Otherwise.
theft? depends on how bad it will hurt them and if I like them or not.
Cannibalism? Probably when the rats run out.
Murder. define murder. actively hunting and stalking? I'm too old for that crap, so no. Self-defense, yes. which brings us back to cannibalism. a diet of human flesh will wreck your nervous system. I'm betting if I make jerky I can trade it to somebody for something else, however. a little pork never hurt anybody. LMAO. I bit a guy's ear off in a fight once, we taste nasty.
I would love to know where you were when yo did the ear bitting

An acre of chestnuts produce 3 million calories a year. Enough for 3 people for a year.

Not sure about acorns or walnuts.

Sonya. I have a plan for that, it might or might not work
But I have a bottle of poisoned whiskey ( unopened, sealnintact)

That sits on the counter, if I see I can not fight off a group . retreat out the back and abandon everything
They will open that bottle and I will move around and be in sniper position
They can have everything and I will take it back
Poisoned whisky. How much would one have to drink for it to be effective?
Where did you get it?
I thought about something similar ..
It would take very little dried magic mushrooms suspended in a bottle of something I can leave ..say..some shots left in a bottle of something to send a thirsty batch of intruders to mars in about 45 minutes after downing a few shots..
Could be a interesting and bountiful alternative.
There are a few plants n mushrooms that could be very useful hidden in a bottle of drinky.
Or make a big pan of super concentrated pot brownies..but that taste would be easy to avoid.
Mushrooms..easy to hide in goodies n powerful ..

I would love to know where you were when yo did the ear bitting
I was in this redneck dump called the wooden nickel on the state line between TN and KY.
Some washer was getting his butt handed to him in pool and lost his payday and decided to take it out on me, who can't even play pool and wasn't even in the game! this was a BIG guy, and I'm 6'4"!
he'd already tenderized me and grabbed me up in a bear hug and was going to ram me into a wall full of junk, so I did the only thing I could and clamped down on his ear! When I hit the wall "CHOMP!" there wasn't no sewing that back on! He dropped me and stood there with his lip quivering and said:
"You bit my ear off...Oh, mamma is going to be so mad!" I didn't wait to hear the rest of whatever he was going to say, I grabbed up some kind of jug or a lamp and beat him in the head until it broke and split!
I should have taken the hint the first time I was in there, I saw a guy get his face bounced off a table like a basketball, the second time there was a stabbing, and that was the last time I ever went in that place, it attracted a strange crowd whose idea of fun was jumping their trucks over 6 packs, seeing how much weight they could lift with their "things" and telling stories about things that "die funny."

Poisoned whisky. How much would one have to drink for it to be effective?
Where did you get it?
I thought about something similar ..
It would take very little dried magic mushrooms suspended in a bottle of something I can leave ..say..some shots left in a bottle of something to send a thirsty batch of intruders to mars in about 45 minutes after downing a few shots..
Could be a interesting and bountiful alternative.
There are a few plants n mushrooms that could be very useful hidden in a bottle of drinky.
Or make a big pan of super concentrated pot brownies..but that taste would be easy to avoid.
Mushrooms..easy to hide in goodies n powerful ..
You're looking for "Death Angel" mushrooms. Amanita ocreata - Wikipedia
Very slow and agonizing death. If you just want them incapacitated:
https://adf.org.au/drug-facts/psilocybin/A bit worse than incapacitated? Mole Bean, Castor Bean
Want them good and sick or worse?
https://extension.oregonstate.edu/ask-extension/featured/are-rhubarb-leaves-toxichttps://www.webmd.com/first-aid/rhododendron-poisoning

I might know someone who knows someone who will feed a small family if someone in that family is able and willing to use force in defense of the group. Also I have dog food for a good dog or two.

Attachments

• zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzdog gun.jpg
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzdog gun.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 0
I was in this redneck dump called the wooden nickel on the state line between TN and KY.
Some washer was getting his butt handed to him in pool and lost his payday and decided to take it out on me, who can't even play pool and wasn't even in the game! this was a BIG guy, and I'm 6'4"!
he'd already tenderized me and grabbed me up in a bear hug and was going to ram me into a wall full of junk, so I did the only thing I could and clamped down on his ear! When I hit the wall "CHOMP!" there wasn't no sewing that back on! He dropped me and stood there with his lip quivering and said:
"You bit my ear off...Oh, mamma is going to be so mad!" I didn't wait to hear the rest of whatever he was going to say, I grabbed up some kind of jug or a lamp and beat him in the head until it broke and split!
I should have taken the hint the first time I was in there, I saw a guy get his face bounced off a table like a basketball, the second time there was a stabbing, and that was the last time I ever went in that place, it attracted a strange crowd whose idea of fun was jumping their trucks over 6 packs, seeing how much weight they could lift with their "things" and telling stories about things that "die funny."
Rough crowd there Mag

Latest posts

Back