GMO mosquitoes looking to be released in Florida

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maverick

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Washington State - between 2 mountains and a river
If there was a full-proof way to ensure you were releasing only males, it's probably a decent idea. But, in all reality, there would be some females in there accidentally, that's just statistics folks. So, the question is, is the risk worth it? the risk seems almost astronomically low, but ethically, one has to wonder if ANY number is simply too large here.

Ultimately, on the surface, I think this would save more lives than it would endanger, in this case, but granted, I haven't fully done the research either, to make that as an informed/educated opinion.

GMO in theory isn't bad but it's a human process with human flaws. A man of faith and whom I identify myself with GMO is morally wrong in all aspects, science generally doesn't use the phrase 'with 100% certainty' for a reason ;)

It wasn’t long ago that we thought that most of our DNA didn’t do anything at all. We called it “junk DNA”, but we’re discovering that much of that junk has purposes that weren’t immediately obvious. So, we modify without having the full matrix. What happens when we modify the DNA of these mosquitoes thinking parts of the original DNA is junk when in fact it is not, what happens to the modified version of the GM-DNA, there is a reason why nature was put in charge of all living organisms and not man.

Latest posts

Back