Head lamps

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What do you have and why? ...A light that needs to be charged is useless in an emergency.

I need a lamp that uses regular AAA batteries. ...Standard 3a batteries can be stored for a couple years and be ready instantly.

Well... I've gone thru the plethora of 'cheap' options, and.. For the most part, sure - they're good for awhile, but.. I found that most of the 'plastic-body' ones just weren't worth the squeeze. Now - the 'cream that rose to the Top' - IMO / E - are the following:

- 'WowTac' A2S, ie: https://www.amazon.com/Headlamp-Headlight-Rechargeable-Waterproof-Headlamps/dp/B071HW5XQH/

61mr-BDtcpl-L-AC-SL1500.jpg
:cool:

..Excellent light, Love the 'quick disconnectability' from the headband, 'Smart USB 18650' (no need for a Separate charger) several Helpful 'modes' (ie: 'Firefly' is Great.. and Important to have..) quickly angle-adjustable, etc.. IMO, IF ya can Find one.. Snag it. 👍

re: 'But they Drain / you need to recharge them before use / might be Useless'-concern, well... What I Do, is put a small tab of like 'Post-It note' over the Neg terminal of the Batt - Inside the light-body - So that a 'parasitical trickle-loss' Cannot occur.. I have stored these things (sometimes / in certain Kits..) for a Year+ like that - and Fully expected to find them 'drained' when I went to use 'em, but.. Nope - Hot and Ready to Work. :cool:

Since those seem to have 'gone out of Production', tho, a Nice 'runner up', is the O-Light (I know, I know.. 'Chinaware'.. :rolleyes: But, at least O-Light does make Solid products.. 👍) 'Perun' / Perun-Mini: https://www.amazon.com/OLIGHT-Headlamp-Flashlight-Rechargeable-Headlight/dp/B0BG116J8K/? :cool:

71HcqVqg-2L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

..Same comments: VERY Bright / Multi-mode, Compact, and - though the 'USB Mag-charger' is sort of a 'Pro/Con' design (if you Lose the specialized cable, yer kinda fricked (vs a 'Standard' USB-mini / C, etc) but.. I just ordered 2x 'spare cables' for Any O-Lights, and thus, bada-bing.. 👍

My 'All Time Favorite', though, was the O-Light 'Wave' H16..

s-l1600.webp

..No 'specialized cable' (USB-mini) to recharge, quick angle-to-work, Multi-mode brightness, Batt lasted a LONG time / Kept the charge, etc - but the Best Feature - the 'sensor mode', where you literally just 'wave' yer hand in front of it, to Turn it On / Off.. (but only at a Certain 'speed' - rapid movements / objects going by (ie: tree branch, etc) would Not accidentally trigger it - it is Great. (and, there were a Lot of 'bad reviews' out there, but.. I never had Any of the issues people seem to gripe about, and I've got 3x (from ~2015/16) and they All still work Great, so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Again, IMO, IF ya can find - Snag. 👍 PS - They Do seem to have a 'successor' now EDIT: Links seem to be borked - Just enter the Item #, alone, to find these two if the Links don't work...) https://www.ebay.com/itm/165792241222 ..and a slightly cheaper 1K Lumen one (which is Plenty Bright for most work..) https://www.ebay.com/itm/355573072306 ..and Both look to have the Same Great feature sets (hand-wave On / Off (or just Brightness?) Multi-mode Brightness.. and a built-in Red-LED Option.. :cool: At Some point, I'll prolly snag one / report back on 'Performance vs the Promise' 👍

re: AAAs, well.. I hear ya, Sir, but.. IMO / E.. that, Too, must be 'navigated carefully / watchfully'.. Nothing like going to check on One cache of ~ 5yo Batts (with a "10 Yr Shelf-Life Guarantee" :rolleyes: that, well.. I'll let the Pic do the talking:

Ray-OLeaks.jpg
o_O yah.. (and Yes, they Were 'stored properly', cool / dark, etc)

Point being: Non-Rechargeables Can 'bite ya in the butt', too.. (at least 'Ray-O-Vac' Quickly made-good on their 'Guarantee' - Lost about 1/2 of those 2x 30 paks - ended up with 2x 45 paks, Same 'Price' (Coupon value they sent) :cool: Deffo gotta keep tabs on Non-rechargeables, too, though..

Fwiw..
jd

Last edited:
My day pack stays in my truck. I only carry it once a month, maybe. Most of the plants I harvest are within 100yrds of where I park my truck, no need to carry a pack, just a side arm. A few places I go require a long hike and I carry the pack on such occasions. It contains basic emergency medical gear, water filtration, cordage, a fixed blade and hatchet, fire starting kit, rain gear and head lamp. (and a mtn house meal)

Seems a couple times a year I bring the pack in the house to replace items or have upgrades. I always check the batteries stored in the pack while I have it open. Year over year alkaline batteries have proven to require the least amount of time and effort. I've gone a year or more a few times without checking them, never had one lose a charge.

I tried rechargeable batteries about 20yrs ago. They were a continuing annoyance, losing charges or failing out right. They worked fine most of the time but... I simply could not trust them absolutely. In this particular use I need certainty. If I need a light it'll probably be a medical emergency.

I like the Streamlight marsh posted but it uses disc batteries. They are no fuss, no muss but I don't know if they are reliable as alkalines. On the plus side disc batteries take up almost no space and weigh next to nothing. I can carry extra in the pack and never notice so I'm probably gonna go that route.

My day pack stays in my truck. I only carry it once a month, maybe. Most of the plants I harvest are within 100yrds of where I park my truck, no need to carry a pack, just a side arm. A few places I go require a long hike and I carry the pack on such occasions. It contains basic emergency medical gear, water filtration, cordage, a fixed blade and hatchet, fire starting kit, rain gear and head lamp. (and a mtn house meal)

Seems a couple times a year I bring the pack in the house to replace items or have upgrades. I always check the batteries stored in the pack while I have it open. Year over year alkaline batteries have proven to require the least amount of time and effort. I've gone a year or more a few times without checking them, never had one lose a charge.

I tried rechargeable batteries about 20yrs ago. They were a continuing annoyance, losing charges or failing out right. They worked fine most of the time but... I simply could not trust them absolutely. In this particular use I need certainty. If I need a light it'll probably be a medical emergency.

I like the Streamlight marsh posted but it uses disc batteries. They are no fuss, no muss but I don't know if they are reliable as alkalines. On the plus side disc batteries take up almost no space and weigh next to nothing. I can carry extra in the pack and never notice so I'm probably gonna go that route.
Since you like Streamlight, I have several of these:

https://www.streamlight.com/products/detail/sidewinder-compact-ii

They will run on a single CR123A or an AA.

They can be configured to headmount, attached to a pocket or belt or mil helmet or vest.......or whatever you can clip it to.

Since I’ve mention my pack several times I thought I’d give it an endorsement. I have “THE PACK” from Spec-Ops brand.

A great pack I’ve carried more than a decade. Aside from being a little dirty it shows no signs of wear. It can handle heavy or light loads, has pockets within pockets. There’s an optional stiffener with 2 pieces of aluminum flat stock. I use the stiffener insert, helps with heavy loads and keeps the pack open when accessing pockets.

I saw tonight they are a little pricey at $287.95, another $46 for the stiffener. I won 5 of them in a writing contest. Years ago I wrote out my charcoal making process and sent it to Survival blog.com. Mr. JW Rawles sent me $2.5K in prizes. I was shocked that I won his contest, especially since I write so poorly. I had a $1K gift certificate from the Spec-Ops people. Packs were cheaper then so I got 5 packs and a couple more goodies.

Anyway, this is a great pack if you’re in the market. I gave 2 to young family members who needed packs. Have 2 I’ve never used, they still have the tags on them.

https://specops.us/

20240831_232430a.jpg20240831_232431a.jpg20240831_232432a.jpg20240831_232433a.jpg

Last edited:
...I tried rechargeable batteries about 20yrs ago. ...In this particular use I need certainty...

Certainly understand the 'once bitten, twice shy' sentiments Sir P, but.. Fwiw.. "rechargables" have come a Loooong way in 20 yrs.. :cool: Today's Lithiums, either Li-Ions or the 'more current' LiPo's, are quite impressive, over those avail. even 10 yrs back (and this is an 'IME' comment' 👍 Might be worth a 'second shot', IMO, but.. That said..

Clearly, any Lights that give you 'Both Options' (to be able to use Alkalines, Lithiums (rechargable or not) or Others, at Your discretion - vs a fixed or 'potted' Batt..) certainly are the Best option. 👍

jd

Its 18650s for me. Nothing compares. I have about a dozen rechargeable 18650 base headlamps, all the same basic design, but different 'brands'....you know what I mean, allibaba specials.

They ALL still work, some are about ten years old now, but after years the elastic wears out, luckily you can get new bands and clips too. Although the design has changed a little over the years, the diameter of the main body is the same so same clips work on all

I've been totally spoiled by them.

My CURRENT favorite is this one:

https://www.temu.com/1pc--340-led-headlamp-type-c-rechargeable-18650-headlight-650-lumens-powerful-head-torch-waterproof-emergency-lantern-for-camping-fishing-hiking-g-601099521293960.html?_oak_mp_inf=EIj9w5um1ogBGiBmMmU2ZDllZWRmN2U0OTZhODEyZGQzZjZmMWU3NGI3ZCCthNWHnTI=&top_gallery_url=https://img.kwcdn.com/product/Fancyalgo/VirtualModelMatting/d7307468974aee2eb06084e972889a71.jpg&spec_gallery_id=601099521293960&refer_page_sn=10009&refer_source=0&freesia_scene=2&_oak_freesia_scene=2&_oak_rec_ext_1=MTI5OA&_oak_gallery_order=1151958740,1714811230,1752857409,443650464,608914682&search_key=18650 headlamp&refer_page_el_sn=200049&_x_sessn_id=ao2487j092&refer_page_name=search_result&refer_page_id=10009_1725787621049_rhfib0hous

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back