Homemade bleach

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brent S

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I have all three. . . even a lemon tree. I go thru about 8 gallons of bleach in 3 months due to milking and household chores. All of the ingredients are animal friendly so I may have to try this one out and will let you know. It would be so much cheaper, just wondering if it actually disinfects? I didn't see that on the website, other than laundry and cleaning uses.

I have all three. . . even a lemon tree. I go thru about 8 gallons of bleach in 3 months due to milking and household chores. All of the ingredients are animal friendly so I may have to try this one out and will let you know. It would be so much cheaper, just wondering if it actually disinfects? I didn't see that on the website, other than laundry and cleaning uses.
I read somewhere that it does disinfect, I'll try to find it for you. I like the idea of finding cheaper alternatives, but I'm mostly trying to find/learn ways to replace the things I use daily if the grocery stores don't have them or aren't around. I'm still working on a list of things I need/use to make life more comfortable.

vinegar in you wash will whiten clothes but not as much as bleach also a good cleaner except of course on lime stone it will erode lime stone. any acid will do that though.

Danil54grl,
I made up the bleach and used it in my bathroom and in the kitchen! Works GREAT! You will love the sent as well. I did not get a headache like I do when I used bleach! Congratulations on your lemon tree! I would love to have one. How long did it take to produce fruit? Did you use the bucket so you can move it in and out of the house?

vinegar in you wash will whiten clothes but not as much as bleach also a good cleaner except of course on lime stone it will erode lime stone. any acid will do that though.
I agree on the vinegar use. Add baking soda to any one of your drains and poor the vinegar on top and let it set for 15 mins. then add more vinegar again let set 15 mins. then just run water and it cleans your drains! It gets rid of all the nasty smells and helps keep your drains from clogging up! I do it once a month!

Bleach is amazing stuff, great for cleaning but is one of the best ways to sanitize water, here's a neat site with info,
http://www.realfoodwholehealth.com/2012/07/how-to-make-your-own-non-toxic-bleach-alternative

I'm still learning to use my iPad, was a challenge to attach a website to this! (Yea, I'm proud!)
Sent from my iPad
great link but bleach is so cheap and a half gallon jug would last a very long time if only used to purify drinking water! ill just buy the bleach. thx for the post tho!

I still don't use bleach. I use pool shock instead. I just took out a 5gal. can of water that I had put up over 2yrs. ago and it was just as good as whem I put it in. Pool shock doesn't have all the additives that bleach has. I don't want to put more crap in my water than I have to. You'll can go on and use bleach but I for one won't use it. Also bleach has a short shelf life. I put 3tsp per 5gal. If your water is real bad then you can put 4tsp. If pool shock will purify this swamp water, it will purify any water.

great link but bleach is so cheap and a half gallon jug would last a very long time if only used to purify drinking water! ill just buy the bleach. thx for the post tho!
I agree that it's so cheap and common, for right now. I'm mostly looking for post shtf substitutes.

I vaccum seal my bags of pool shock. They will stay good as long as they don't get wet. You can't store bleach for very long. I have enough pool shock to last for years. I will open a pack only when I need it and then reseal it. It's just something I thought I would put pass you guys. Good luck

Danil54grl,
I made up the bleach and used it in my bathroom and in the kitchen! Works GREAT! You will love the sent as well. I did not get a headache like I do when I used bleach! Congratulations on your lemon tree! I would love to have one. How long did it take to produce fruit? Did you use the bucket so you can move it in and out of the house?
The lemon tree was already established when we bought the house. It is located on the south side of the house and is pretty much sheltered. I know with the apple trees, it took about 3 years to start producing, just not sure if lemons are the same.

I read somewhere that it does disinfect, I'll try to find it for you. I like the idea of finding cheaper alternatives, but I'm mostly trying to find/learn ways to replace the things I use daily if the grocery stores don't have them or aren't around. I'm still working on a list of things I need/use to make life more comfortable.
Thank you for letting me know that. I just have to be careful when it comes to my critters and the milk process. I use it for cleaning utters, cleaning my milk machine and also my cream separator, so just wanted to be certain it would disinfect and sanitize. I too like to find alternatives on items I use everyday for cleaning with stuff I have on hand. I have quite a few, but had never seen the bleach thing. I have been reading up on how to use ash and rainwater to make lye so I can make soap. I haven't tried it yet, but I have the know how at least.

The lemon tree was already established when we bought the house. It is located on the south side of the house and is pretty much sheltered. I know with the apple trees, it took about 3 years to start producing, just not sure if lemons are the same.

Thank you Danil54grl!
I really like the idea of having some ( or for that matter more) fruit trees. I just have never done it before. In NY, when we lived there, we had many apple trees but like you said, they were there when we bought our home. At that age I was not thinking of prepping. I never knew that you could grow a tree in a bucket! This, I will be looking into!
Looking forward to many more ideas!

Thank you Danil54grl!
I really like the idea of having some ( or for that matter more) fruit trees. I just have never done it before. In NY, when we lived there, we had many apple trees but like you said, they were there when we bought our home. At that age I was not thinking of prepping. I never knew that you could grow a tree in a bucket! This, I will be looking into!
Looking forward to many more ideas!
I know they have dwarf sized fruit trees that are sold around here that do well in a container. I have my apple that I plant right after I bought my home, along with the lemon, plum, pear and mayhaw. I used to have a fig, but hurricane Rita wiped it out. If you want a lemon tree in NY your best bet would definitely be container growing. I normally pick, juice and then freeze it into cube that I just defrost to use, but I did recently read an email that suggested that you freeze your lemons and grate them to use the whole benefits of the lemon. Not sure how that will work for me though since my hunny loves his lemonade and then I use it in a few other recipes

I know they have dwarf sized fruit trees that are sold around here that do well in a container. I have my apple that I plant right after I bought my home, along with the lemon, plum, pear and mayhaw. I used to have a fig, but hurricane Rita wiped it out. If you want a lemon tree in NY your best bet would definitely be container growing. I normally pick, juice and then freeze it into cube that I just defrost to use, but I did recently read an email that suggested that you freeze your lemons and grate them to use the whole benefits of the lemon. Not sure how that will work for me though since my hunny loves his lemonade and then I use it in a few other recipes
Thank you, for the information. I was looking at fruit trees on line last night.

Latest posts

Back