How do YOU make Steak?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChancesR

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I am doing a low"er" carb diet and I want to learn how to make a good steak... Do any of you have some tips? I have a Iron Skillet and lost of different spices .... What are your steps or tricks of the trade?

I am doing a low"er" carb diet and I want to learn how to make a good steak... Do any of you have some tips? I have a Iron Skillet and lost of different spices .... What are your steps or tricks of the trade?
First off, ditch the pan. A grill is so much better, and much easier to clean. I'm a carnivore, don't get me wrong, I like veggies but only as a side to some poor animal in the middle of the plate! The sirloin is my favorite cut, as it's not too pricey but is still good, also not to much fat. Ribeye is a higher end cut but has a lot of marbley fat that not to good for your heart. One of the secrets to juicy steaks is never flip them more than twice on each side, and the other is don't over cook as it dries it out. I flip the steak and turn it 45degrees so the grill lines give it a nice diamond pattern, just for show. You can season anything you like on it, I prefer a little soy sauce, some black pepper and onion powder. I really enjoy the flavor of beef so I don't over spice it, but the beauty of cooking is you make it to your own taste. Damn, now I'm hungry again. Enjoy!

Put those steaks in a baggie over night , garlic/ Worcestershire/ lemon -salt / / etc.............. Cast iron skillet /little butter/sliced mushrooms / med high heat / 2-3 minutes each side depending on thickness / preference......................usually I grill...... t-bones , but don't always marinate.

Last edited:

i prefer bbq pit and the oven..i have no bbq pit at time.so im stuck useing the oven.i pick a bakeing tray thats i figure to be deep enough.put a bakeing rake in the pan and steak on top of it.add just enough water to cover the floor of pan.and of course i add what spices im going with to the steak before hand.slice some onion and lay it on the steak.then cover with foil

Yea and i love my steak rare! still bleeding NO steak sauce it ruins the natural flavor!

First, get a ribeye. If too pricey, go with sirloin. Then, I tenderize it with a fork, and spread some butter on it. Then, I sprinkle on some Hooters seasoning (you can get it at WalMart now). Trust me, once you try it, you'll use Hooters seasoning on LOTS of things. I then massage the butter and seasoning into the meat. Mix up some McCormick's Meat Marinade, mix with a little soy sauce and a little Worcestershire, and let it marinade in a bag with it overnight. Then, slap it on the grill! (I also like to use some wood in there for a more smoky flavor). I like mine medium, but the wife likes hers very rare.

What topic could possibly be more important than steak!

well I made the STEAK today... I found a site that told me the steps temps and for how long ... and it worked I used some steak rum on it and it was medium and was wonderful.... Happy New Year's Eve Dinner or in my case Lunch :)
1. sear in iron skillet
2 put in 400 degree oven for 8 minutes for medium
3. rest under aluminum foil while mixing butter in hot skillet to get a butter sauce.
4. serve with sauce and dab of butter on top.
5. eat until stuffed :)

Salt, Pepper the 1.5 inch thick Tenderloin steak.... Sear for 1 minute per side on a hot grill or pan, serve when it has cooled down.

That for me is how I make my steak

I used to do a lot of repairs for the Outback Steakhouse, they 'fry' a lot of there steaks on a stainless plate, and they are good, but for me you need some smoky heat coming from a grill, hot enough to sear the outside and keep it Jucy inside. Yup, I'm hungry again!

I marinade in Soy, Worcestershire, & Tiger Sauce and sprinkle with Texjoy. . . can't go wrong with that. It really doesn't matter what cut of meat I pull out of the freezer, it's all home grown beef and is very good. Much different than what you buy at the store. I do prefer the grill, but hunny is the grill master so when he has a late night, I will broil. It still turns out tender and oh so good.

First, get a ribeye. If too pricey, go with sirloin.

Never seen a ribeye more expensive than a Sirloin. Sirloin is the most tender cut of the animal apart from the Fillet. Rib eye is not the same tenderness and sells for much lower price. Ribeye yes is popular but never sells higher than a sirloin. If you are buying ribeye thats more expensive than a sirloin then your butcher is ripping you off.

But then again it depends on many different factors of what the price is. For example how long the meat is matured for and how it is matured. Where the meat comes from and how the cow was fed. For one sirloin steak I will pay a good £15 - £20. And By good I mean 28 - 30 days dry aged coming from a local source where the cows aren't locked up in barns.

A ribeye thats matured for 28 - 30 days will be more expensive than a sirloin matured for 15 days. But I would never by a 15 day matured sirloin because there would be no flavor and it wouldn't be as tender.

Just a chef putting in my 2 cents. :)

Never seen a ribeye more expensive than a Sirloin

Go into any supermarket.... ??? Always one of the most expensive cuts here anyhow. Usually $2 more per pound than sirloin.

Wow Supermarkets I suppose are different. I never trust a supermarket with quality beef. But then again the UK is different from the US. I go to my butcher. I know my meat better than I know my car lol. I am still surprised.

Not a lot of butcher shops here in the US, too hard to compete with supermarkets. Going to a butcher shop here would easily add $1 to $3 per pound to just about anything. Sure, it would be better quality most likely, but the math sucks (especially in my household of 5).

When I did have to go to the supermarket for my beef, we looked for ribeyes when they went on sell (used to be 4.99, but your lucky at 5.99 now), just because they we our favorites, but we were looking at $8.99 a pound . . . have never been to a butchers so I can not compare to their price. There is a specialty butcher at the grocery store that prices their ribeyes at $15.99 a pound. We bought some ribeyes when they went on sell a couple weeks ago (since we were out) and marinated them and grilled them like we do, BUT the taste is different now that I have had home raised for so long. I guess I just can't go back to store bought now.

Latest posts

Back