how to deal with a bear ;)

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not able to translate it to english, but it sorta sounded like (just before he laughed near the end) that he called the bear a not so nice name for wussy!

I think that at such a range and such an angle, he'd have received a 9mm pill to the brain. That's too close, if the bear decides to get serious, you'll have less than one second in which to do something really effective, on a target moving so fast that you can't believe it.

how thick is a bears skull ,,,I don't know would the 9mm penetrate I am not sure,I have quick access to a 223 and a 20ga with slugs ,,I think for a head shot at that range I would feel safer with the 223

just a follow up and my reason for the doubt in the 9mm,,,,,the 223 will pass through a piece of 3/8 thick plate steel,,,the 9mm will not,I know there will be a difference in steel VS bone but we are talking about a bear and if you don't kill it with that shot you are in for a world of hurt

I know a broom works on our bull, but I dont think I would risk it with a bear. We don't have any bears around here. We have bobcats though. Neighbor spotted one on the canal by our place night before last and said his dog chased it our way. Needless to say, I've kept a lookout with all my babies running around.

Last edited:
I wouldn't trust a 9mm on a charging bear. Even a black bear. That would be foolish. Too often a light weight bullet will glance off a bears skull. A 12 ga with slugs or 00 buck shot would be a better option. I'd prefer a 45-70 or a .500 S&W myself.

That bear is not charging, which is the point. . Nature does not waste resources. A bear's skull is not made for battering things, the way the skulls of elephant, bovine bull, bighorn sheep ARE made. Sure, a longarm would be better, but as I said, at that range, you have less than a second, if he DECIDES to charge, so what is at hand (if you ccw) is what had better suffice. The shot presented is the ideal one. Head down, very close, stationary. A .22lr (from a RIFLE) would suffice, if it's applied swiftly enough, cause such a .22 DOES suffice on big bovine bulls, all the time, on farms and ranches all over the world.

That bear is not charging, which is the point. . Nature does not waste resources. A bear's skull is not made for battering things, the way the skulls of elephant, bovine bull, bighorn sheep ARE made. Sure, a longarm would be better, but as I said, at that range, you have less than a second, if he DECIDES to charge, so what is at hand (if you ccw) is what had better suffice. The shot presented is the ideal one. Head down, very close, stationary. A .22lr (from a RIFLE) would suffice, if it's applied swiftly enough, cause such a .22 DOES suffice on big bovine bulls, all the time, on farms and ranches all over the world.
Shows how little you know about bears. In real life there is very seldom a perfect shot. Like the saying goes "use enough gun".
My BIL own a slaughter house and he uses a .22 mag for most kills. He also carries a .30-.30 for use on the big bulls. He's been doing it for over 40 years so I think he knows what he's talking about. My family has been in the ranching business for generations and nobody would ever think of using a .22lr on a bull! That's just silly talk.

why shoot when you can chase the fellow of with a broom and cursing?
we don't need to kill everything that walks,crawls or fly just 'cause we can.
I agree with you Jontte. And most bears can easily be scared off. They become dangerous when they get used to eating human garbage or they have cubs. I see bears regularly here on the ranch and so far they all turn tail and run the other way when they see me. A couple of weeks ago a bear came on my front porch and ran off with my dogs food. It was in a large locking container. I keep the dog food in the barn now.

rule #1 never come out on the same side of the house,as the bear..
rule #2 make 100% sure the fire arm in question,has plenty of stopping power with the first shot or 2..
rule#3 make the first shot count.even if that shot slows it down enough for a 2nd shot..

i heard of a park ranger once.in which he had to pull his 357 on a very large full grown male grizzly.in which he had to fire every round,just to stop n kill the grizzly..

rule #1 never come out on the same side of the house,as the bear..
rule #2 make 100% sure the hi fire arm in question,has plenty of stopping power with the first shot or 2..
rule#3 make the first shot count.even if that shot slows it down enough for a 2nd shot..

i heard of a park ranger once.in which he had to pull his 357 on a very large full grown male grizzly.in which he had to fire every round,just to stop n kill the grizzly..
But Jim, I only have one door on my trailer.

I wouldn't trust a 9mm on a charging bear. Even a black bear. That would be foolish. Too often a light weight bullet will glance off a bears skull. A 12 ga with slugs or 00 buck shot would be a better option. I'd prefer a 45-70 or a .500 S&W myself.

A 7mm magnum is a good choice.

A 20 gauge with rifled, hollowpoint slugs would also work. A 20 gauge delivers roughly twice the energy of a heavy .44 magnum load, and recoils less than a 12 gauge. If a bear was coming at me, the lighter recoil would allow faster follow up shots.

I remember a story from Finland (could have been Norway) . A Moose , called Elk Over there I think , killed a woman and stomped Her so bad they thought Her Husband did it and tried to chop Her up with a lawn mower .

Latest posts

Back