I am desiring to make a list of who (or what) to blame for prepping failure. Please HELP.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
If you know of a currently existing list, please just post that list or link.

So, what are the "best" people or things to blame when it is crystal clear that they (and their dearly loved one's) are "END of LIFE" because of:....?????????? "WHAT"

Translated: With the dying quivers and gasping for life, "Someone" or Something failed.......WHAT Failed Them..??

Examples:
1.) I thought "good" people would save me.
2.) I thought my neighbors would save me.
3.) I thought the Government would surely not forsake me.
4.) I had money, surely that would not forsake me.
5.) I had a massive amount of ammo & guns, I expected those to save me.
6.) I diligently studied internet sources and forums thinking that would save me.
7.) I had 15 months of food & water (guess I needed 17 months (damn I am hungry).

Keep going.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shouldn't this be in the political arena...?!?

older folks still think they can run and gun like they did at age 20 in military when all they done was training full time and PT daily.

older people think they can still shoot a handgun even thought they now have old timer shake and cant hold a plate or pistol still. i seen this in real life.

older people think i can still do xyz like i was 20...i seen this happen to a very close friend as he got older....it caused his death....he drown because he thought he could still swim like back in the day.

i am older...so dont anyone go getting the rear end at me like i am bashing seniors...i am pointing at myself here too.

ya gotta know real limits on yourself i tell ya.

p.s. pastor fox talked about this too...jumping in foxholes training aint as much fun as when you were young. i seen several guys in late 50's early 60's admitting to this the last while...reality set in...aint much fun suffering the next week from jumping over dirt mounds and picking rocks and more out of ya knees like it use to be.

also many dont realize all the hard stuff we done in younger years does take a toll on us later in life...look at football players taking all those hits over and over and over.

Last edited:
older folks still think they can run and gun like they did at age 20 in military when all they done was training full time and PT daily.

older people think they can still shoot a handgun even thought they now have old timer shake and cant hold a plate or pistol still. i seen this in real life.

older people think i can still do xyz like i was 20...i seen this happen to a very close friend as he got older....it caused his death....he drown because he thought he could still swim like back in the day.

i am older...so dont anyone go getting the rear end at me like i am bashing seniors...i am pointing at myself here too.

ya gotta know real limits on yourself i tell ya.

p.s. pastor fox talked about this too...jumping in foxholes training aint as much fun as when you were young. i seen several guys in late 50's early 60's admitting to this the last while...reality set in...aint much fun suffering the next week from jumping over dirt mounds and picking rocks and more out of ya knees like it use to be.

also many dont realize all the hard stuff we done in younger years does take a toll on us later in life...look at football players taking all those hits over and over and over.
"Old age and treachery will always beat youth and exuberance"

Old people don't play "fair".

I will confirm what @elkhound said, I am 62, no more 16 hour days, something in my body starts to act up . and if I stop and rest, i can carry on for a while. this isn't tired or out of breath, it is mostly joint issues and muscle compensation.
I have confirmed this with other guys my age. we just have to really pay attention to the body. 6 hours maybe of work, not 16 any more.
Big thing to think about, and Something to really think about.
Look thru the changes and improvements that I have made to my firewood system as an example
of making things less strain on the body.
X). look in the mirror and admit that time and the ravages have the potential to beat you.

How about...
I thought that cannister of "survival seeds" would just grow and sustain us. No matter that it could be the dead of winter, the soil may be crap, you don't know how to plant or grow anything...
And....wow...how long do potatoes/tomatoes/squash take to grow?
Early spring was called The Starving Time for a reason

How about...
I thought that cannister of "survival seeds" would just grow and sustain us. No matter that it could be the dead of winter, the soil may be crap, you don't know how to plant or grow anything...
And....wow...how long do potatoes/tomatoes/squash take to grow?
Early spring was called The Starving Time for a reason
And add to that potential crop failure.

"Old age and treachery will always beat youth and exuberance"

Old people don't play "fair".
you clearly missed the point....go jump in a foxhole 12 times tomorrow morning in battle gear holding your rifle...tell me how you feel afterwards...oh...you have glasses on lanyard? theres a reason military doesnt have old guys in the line up after certain age...if i remember correctly marines is 40 unless you are certain rank.

wisdom and treachery are not cushioned places to fall...you know that.....

OK, point well taken 👍 ..thus.. Take II:

..Sometimes.. 🤔
Anyhoo.. OT:

8) WAAAATEEERRRRRRRrrrr..... ("..I thought those 6x 24-pack 16 oz Arrrowhead bottles Surely would be Enough!") o_O

jd
i can wring more than that out of my sweat band and shorts on a hot day....lol

I will confirm what @elkhound said, I am 62, no more 16 hour days, something in my body starts to act up . and if I stop and rest, i can carry on for a while. this isn't tired or out of breath, it is mostly joint issues and muscle compensation.
I have confirmed this with other guys my age. we just have to really pay attention to the body. 6 hours maybe of work, not 16 any more.
Big thing to think about, and Something to really think about.
Look thru the changes and improvements that I have made to my firewood system as an example
of making things less strain on the body.
X). look in the mirror and admit that time and the ravages have the potential to beat you.
i look at farmers/gardeners around the globe....theres a reason many have a chair and covered area down at crop fields and gardens...old people pace themselves...work a bit..rest...work a bit rest...get lots done too. they have ability to push where younger folks get antsy and lose interest and want to wander off instead of concentrating on project at hand.

you clearly missed the point....go jump in a foxhole 12 times tomorrow morning in battle gear holding your rifle...tell me how you feel afterwards...oh...you have glasses on lanyard? theres a reason military doesnt have old guys in the line up after certain age...if i remember correctly marines is 40 unless you are certain rank.

wisdom and treachery are not cushioned places to fall...you know that.....
Clearly you missed the point. I'm not in the army. I have no need to jump into a foxhole 12 times a day. Ever heard of asymmetrical warfare? I won't be playing by your rules.
Since 1950 the majority of asymmetrical conflicts have been won by the weaker side.

Clearly you missed the point. I'm not in the army. I have no need to jump into a foxhole 12 times a day. Ever heard of asymmetrical warfare? I won't be playing by your rules.
Since 1950 the majority of asymmetrical conflicts have been won by the weaker side.
I took the meaning of this thread as one too look at the holes in our own prepared ness strategies , not so much as an out side caused failure (as in raid or battle, although that could happen too)

i clearly got your point....

I took the meaning of this thread as one too look at the holes in our own prepared ness strategies , not so much as an out side caused failure (as in raid or battle, although that could happen too)
yes...old people think we can do hard yards till it times to do them day after day after day....we/us older folks will struggle doing simple tasks..much less trying to be rambo and keeping fit by the practice of waging war.....some will..but its going to be far fewer when reality of hey i cant do that anymore...not day after day.

my point is you aint going to be all practiced up in old age for a young mans game...some are delusional...oh dont get me wrong...they can do stuff...but its going to be limited in scope.....they aint out running and doing PT daily...shooting daily....etc....not saying dr.h is in that portion my guess dr. in above average shape.....broadly speaking about society...hell i know people my age cant get to grocery store across parking lot now...much less hike up a mtn or crawl through a swamp and wait in position for a shot to present itself.

One has to know the Limitations and Most won't ever Admit/Believe 'em...!!!

It's all my fault. Blame me. I failed everyone. OK that's settled, what's for lunch?
;)

Maybe there is no reason to blame anyone. Maybe if everyone does what they can. I remember the pictures of younger people helping elderly folks to climb across a bombed out bridge in Ukraine. Carrying them in some cases. Possibly that will occur here, I'm no longer sure.

When people eventually accept that their S*** has gone BAD, and they are going to die. They look for "WHY". Rarely are they responsible. It is someone else's fault, or something's fault, but near NEVER their fault.

yes...old people think we can do hard yards till it times to do them day after day after day....we/us older folks will struggle doing simple tasks..much less trying to be rambo and keeping fit by the practice of waging war.....some will..but its going to be far fewer when reality of hey i cant do that anymore...not day after day.

my point is you aint going to be all practiced up in old age for a young mans game...some are delusional...oh dont get me wrong...they can do stuff...but its going to be limited in scope.....they aint out running and doing PT daily...shooting daily....etc....not saying dr.h is in that portion my guess dr. in above average shape.....broadly speaking about society...hell i know people my age cant get to grocery store across parking lot now...much less hike up a mtn or crawl through a swamp and wait in position for a shot to present itself.
Yup, I resemble that. My days of jumping out of jets are behind me, except for the twinge in my knee...

I still walk 3 mi a day, but 1.5 segments in morning and evening. I'm probably not hiking over the mountains out of our valley without a car. And I'd probably have a stroke running next door in full battle rattle. My wife won't allow me to park in the handicapped spot or use the fat carts at Walmart. She's so mean.
traget.jpg

Last edited:
When people eventually accept that their S*** has gone BAD, and they are going to die. They look for "WHY". Rarely are they responsible. It is someone else's fault, or something's fault, but near NEVER their fault.
Absolute fact. when people outsource their decisions they start outsourcing the blame too, It doesn't work like that, if a person lets someone else decide, the choice to let someone else decide still falls right back on them. Most of the time things are lessons or at least an opportunity to gather data. miss those and you loose them. Reading survival theory is one thing, actual practical experience is another. skills, skills, skills. And feeling that you are responsible for others means you or they failed to learn. that is huge.
IMO this isn't about can you still play soldier boy or work 16 hours for days in a row, It is about how well you have adapted to the loss of those things.

Yup, I resemble that. My days of jumping out of jets are behind me, except for the twinge in my knee...

I still walk 3 mi a day, but 1.5 segments in morning and evening. I'm probably not hiking over the mountains out of our valley without a car. And I'd probably have a stroke running next door in full battle rattle. My wife won't allow me to park in the handicapped spot or use the fat carts at Walmart. She's so mean.
View attachment 160830
Fat carts at walmart...hahahaha...nice..

Absolute fact. when people outsource their decisions they start outsourcing the blame too, It doesn't work like that, if a person lets someone else decide, the choice to let someone else decide still falls right back on them. Most of the time things are lessons or at least an opportunity to gather data. miss those and you loose them. Reading survival theory is one thing, actual practical experience is another. skills, skills, skills. And feeling that you are responsible for others means you or they failed to learn. that is huge.
IMO this isn't about can you still play soldier boy or work 16 hours for days in a row, It is about how well you have adapted to the loss of those things.
Well said...

If you know of a currently existing list, please just post that list or link.

So, what are the "best" people or things to blame when it is crystal clear that they (and their dearly loved one's) are "END of LIFE" because of:....?????????? "WHAT"

Translated: With the dying quivers and gasping for life, "Someone" or Something failed.......WHAT Failed Them..??

Examples:
1.) I thought "good" people would save me.
2.) I thought my neighbors would save me.
3.) I thought the Government would surely not forsake me.
4.) I had money, surely that would not forsake me.
5.) I had a massive amount of ammo & guns, I expected those to save me.
6.) I diligently studied internet sources and forums thinking that would save me.
7.) I had 15 months of food & water (guess I needed 17 months (damn I am hungry).

Keep going.

#) I watched every episode of Doomsday Preppers, Life Below Zero and Mountain Men and somehow did not learn everything I need to know to survive. 😵

Back