Identify this Mushroom

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldSchool

Camper
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Third year that one of these has cropped up at the base of an oak tree. They don’t come back in the same spot. This year there’s more around the corner. They appear almost instantly.

Attachments

• 1088CE3D-DDF2-4068-8ED2-F3A3858B7C2E.jpeg
    1088CE3D-DDF2-4068-8ED2-F3A3858B7C2E.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 3
Not sure if serious… but the old oak is dying. It’s gotta go. So do the black ants living in it. The ants gotta first or they’ll probably end up invading my home. That’s for another thread. But… if anyone has helpful hints for riding a place of black ants… Go got it and post here. I’ve researched it before and apparently it’s the queen that needs to be banished to oblivion.

They usually appear at the base of tree, right at the trunk. This one is almost a couple feet away.

I've seen pics of Turkey Tail mushrooms that looked like that, from what I've read, they are only used as a medicine ,only due to not tasting all that good. As always, seek an expert as some mushrooms can damage your organs for life and even take your life, it's nothing to fool with.

Last edited:
Not sure if serious… but the old oak is dying. It’s gotta go. So do the black ants living in it. The ants gotta first or they’ll probably end up invading my home. That’s for another thread. But… if anyone has helpful hints for riding a place of black ants… Go got it and post here. I’ve researched it before and apparently it’s the queen that needs to be banished to oblivion.
Decaying oak provides an excellent base for many types of mushrooms to grow on, as does the soil under oak groves.

They usually appear at the base of tree, right at the trunk. This one is almost a couple feet away.
My brother uses the ant trap that the ants bring back to the nest.

Ben

My brother uses the ant trap that the ants bring back to the nest.

Ben
I might have missed the window for that this year… when it’s 85 plus degrees is when they’re most active running around the driveway.

Edit: Maybe if the tree is taken down in the dead of winter and everything hauled away immediately… the dormant ants will go with it??

I might have missed the window for that this year… when it’s 85 plus degrees is when they’re most active running around the driveway.

Edit: Maybe if the tree is taken down in the dead of winter and everything hauled away immediately… the dormant ants will go with it??
I had some trying to invade my place years ago. They had a nest my neighbor's decrepit shed. He got rid of it and the ant invaders disappeared.

That is my story and am sticking with it.

Ben

I would bait heavy with this I used it to kill a giant colony of small black ants that had got behind the brick and it did the millions of them and the colony in three years ago and they have never returned.
Get enough for two full treatments and don't get impatient it takes a while to kill a million ants.

1725408851872.png

They make different types of bait stations for different colonies

Every spring I sprinkle ant poison around all of our buildings and any place I see ants. I've used the ant bait stations too which work good, but our dog runs off with them. We get a lot of the flying carpenter ants in the spring too. I spray them with Onslought. We're pretty much ant free around here.

Thanks for the advice about the black ants, but at this point I think I need to know if I need to wear an n85 or n95 mask when ridding the property of the mushrooms. I mean there is white dust all around them.

My dog and squirrels stay away from them… they might know even the dust is dangerous??

Every spring I sprinkle ant poison around all of our buildings and any place I see ants. I've used the ant bait stations too which work good, but our dog runs off with them. We get a lot of the flying carpenter ants in the spring too. I spray them with Onslought. We're pretty much ant free around here.
Dogs run off with them. :oops:

I don’t think I’d want my dog playing with them.

Thanks for the advice about the black ants, but at this point I think I need to know if I need to wear an n85 or n95 mask when ridding the property of the mushrooms. I mean there is white dust all around them.

My dog and squirrels stay away from them… they might know even the dust is dangerous??
Why bother with the mushroom?

The fungus lives in the tree or under the ground. What we see as mushrooms are the reproductive organs. The fungus eats the tree.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Ben

Anytime you have spores or chemicals like silica released into the air you are breathing you need to wear a suitable mask, that is a NO BRAINER OS you know that!!!!

Also wear gloves to prevent absorption through the skin.
Thanks, you know I’m no dummy. Still I’m curious what this thing is.

Thanks for reminder thou that I have at least half a brain. I’ll have to remember that. ;)

Most shelf fungi (polypores) are not poisonous but are too tough to eat.
Once a tree is "infected" with it, it doesn't go away and will rot a tree.
Chicken of the woods is edible and a golden yellow.
I can't find my mushrooms and fungi books. A field guide is good.
What you have is probably not recommended to eat in any form.
In this linked thread we talk about various mushrooms and one former member posted some info about chicken of the woods. Check it out.
https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/mushrooms.3572/

Also this is a yt video I haven't listened to or watched completely, could have an infomercial in it.

The tree is alive enough to keep producing acorns that at this time of year almost fall like rain drops.

Curious what you @Peanut think about this.

I can't really help you, haven't studied mushrooms. I recognize a few, maybe 6 or 7. Yours isn't one of them. It's similar to the turkey tail I see here but not exactly the same. I'd be afraid to give it a name, sorry. :(

Latest posts

Back