Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaterielGeneral

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
This thread is targeted towards chance happening, sales, yard sales and anything alternative to normal purchases.

May 10th I had to go to Traverse City with my wife. I had my nose in my phone wasting oxygen as usual and she all of a sudden said free office furniture. I looked up and asked her what are you talking about. She said I am turning around. There was a girl putting a sign up that said free office furniture.

So we turned around and parked. There is a financial business that is getting ready to remodel all of their outlets in the area. The said everyting goes except for the phones and computers. One of the workers I used to work with at the prison. She always worked in segregation and I always brought her customers. Anyways we told them we were up there for an appointment and could come back in the morning with the truck. The said sure take all you want.

My wife's nephew graduation open house is next month so she wanted all the stackable chairs so we can use them for the open house. We put all the chairs into a corner. Two divider screens, 5, I guess you could call them end tables/night stands but for a business, plastic floor mats for office chairs, about 6 office chairs. I don't even know what you would call it. It stands vertically, two pieces join together making a V. It reminds me of a wire cage. I told my boys I was going to make a cage out of it and when one of them piss me off I will lock them up. They just rolled their eyes. My wife said it looks like it belonged in a department store for a display. Hang stuff off of the cage holes. (commercial version of a cattle fence?) So once we claimed what we wanted we left to go to our appointment.

We came back right on time the next morning and waited for their arrival (punctuality?). We loaded everything up and they told us their other location in Cherryland Mall is getting rid of their stuff also so we went over there. We loaded up all their chairs and a couple of other things. In the end we received over 50 stackable office chairs in nice condition. Once we get our use out of the chairs and everything else we dont want then we are going to sell everything in the yard/garage sale sometime this summer. $ towards Zacks hospital bills. Cool beans huh? I'll try to get photos when I can. Everything is still on the landscaping trailer inside the garage.

Today we went to a couple yard sales/estate sales. I got a Yeti Pot a package of Neilmed Sinus Rinse about 50 packets for $2.00. I got a UltraFire WF-502B flashlight for $3.00 new. I eventually have to buy some 18650 batteries for it. My other flashlights have adapters so I can use AAA batterys.

I have been wanting to buy a propane grill to replace our rotted out grill that barely has a flame but have been putting it off. We found a really good but greasy stainless grill for next to nothing. I consider it essential. I do not like pan fried meat. I grill year round almost every day. Its healthier and tastes better and cooks quicker. It also came with an almost new 20lb tank that was full of propane.

The last purchase was the best purchase of all. If you don't know or haven't heard we are a Star Wars family. My wife is a Yoda fan, I am a Darth Vader freak and the boys lean towards the stormtroopers or Boba Fett or Jango Fett (bounty hunters). Check out the link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-D...747859?hash=item3f7b6e0693:g:QM4AAOSw42JZB7oV

$2.00 work for you? When we got home I put the mask on and started undoing the grill to get it out of the truck. She said she was not helping me until I took the mask off. Cant wait until Holloween or another local comicon, LOL.

So what kind of insane deal have you got lately?

I don't remember the last time I got a good deal on something, but I have given other people good deals. I had a 40 foot container that I gave away to a lady that raises pigs. All she had to do was pay to get it moved to her place. Another time I sold a 32 foot travel trailer to a young man from a neighboring ranch for $500. He wanted something to live in during calving time on a remote part of the ranch.

Sunday we went back to the estate sale at 1:30pm for the 2pm closing time. We found out it was a liquidating company selling the belongings not rich brat children. Also found out it was a doctors residence. Everything was half off Sunday.

There was a large variety of books and a large amount of medical books. All books were 5 for $1 so I loaded up on medical books. I will try and post some pictures. When we got the books home I had them stacked up so I could take a picture and when I came back my wife had already put them on the book shelve.

I got a PUR Water filter for $5. It is the same thing as the Katadyn Hiker(pro). Katadyn bought the Hiker from PUR or something like that. I took a photo side by side and the filter is interchangeable. I bought it for parts but getting a closer look at it there isn't much parts to it besides the O rings. I have an extra Hiker filter so I guess I have a 3rd Hiker family water filter to add to the hoard.

My wife got the deal of the day. There was what appeared to be a large computer monitor for $20. and that is what my wife heard an employee telling a person. She started looking closer at it and saw it had a CD/DVD drive and other hook ups that computers have. She turned it on and it was a computer so she turned it off and claimed it. Since Sunday was half off we got it for $10.00. It is one of those computers with everything built in hence it looked like a monitor because it is one, LOL. I turned it on and hooked a mouse and keyboard to it and everything worked like a dream. We are going to do a factory reset to it so all the doctors info is cleared from it and we can start over fresh.

Not a bad haul for cheap.

Books 1.jpg

Books 2.jpg

Books 3.jpg

water filters.jpg

Last edited:
I think last year or the year before I got two fairly new 500gal diesel tanks with 6ft stands for free, all I had to do is drive to eastern Washington for them, that gives me 1000gal for my everyday trucks and a 1000gal of off road diesel for my heavy equipment and tractors but generally I seem to miss all the good deals, I tend to hear about them weeks later.

I think last year or the year before I got two fairly new 500gal diesel tanks with 6ft stands for free, all I had to do is drive to eastern Washington for them, that gives me 1000gal for my everyday trucks and a 1000gal of off road diesel for my heavy equipment and tractors but generally I seem to miss all the good deals, I tend to hear about them weeks later.
yeah,I know what you mean...I am almost always a day late or a dollar short when it comes to good deals

My son got the best deal recently. I had been collecting stuff to build a smaller house for me over the last few years. I got all the windows, high end leaded glass doors, green metal roofing, mahogany arched top raised panel cabinet doors, glass shower doors, and a lot of other stuff for next to nothing. The front door was 725 normally and I got it for 25.00! Anyways, instead of it going into my retirement place he is getting most of it. I wish someone had helped out me when I was starting out in life. Being able to share a little is a good thing.

Friday I bought an OD Army Poncho from the 80's for $5.00 in excellent shape and an Army foam sleeping mat for $3.00 at a moving sale. I talked smack in my youth about the older folks hitting up garage/yard sales and now I know why.

Latest posts

Back