Instant coffee

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alabaster

1st Member Of DPF
Neighbor
First, let me apologize for not sharing this sooner.

I try not to endorse any brand for any thing, but this is worth breaking my own rule.

I found this coffee called, Kava at the store on the clearance shelf. It was around $2 so I tried it. It was instant and I don't like instant a whole lot. It was chap so I gave it a go. I looked on the way aout and it's $5 normally. It's not cheap by any stretch. Not for this little jar.

Well, I'll admit I'm a coffee snob. I even ground my own beans at home. I'll drink instant without complaining because some coffee(Even bad) is better than no coffee. Well this Kava is acid neutralized(Which doesn't mean much to most folks unless you have acid reflux or a general dislike for coffee).

No kidding, this coffee is better than the vast majority of perk coffees I've had. Honest and true. Give it a try if you need instant for camping or don't have time to perk your own. IT'S FANTASTIC.

i got it on my shopping list..will check it out.and if the size of jar and price is ok with me.i'll get a jar..
here's a couple of sayings i got off of signs..

i'm a bona fide java junkie.i drink coffee for your own protection..

coffee,Have another cup.you can sleep when your dead!!

LOL, A morning cup of joe is one of the basic necessities of life. I'm a "coffee snob" too and a very disgruntled one ever since Kenya turned many of their coffee plantations into prime real estate. I used to be able to buy Kenya AA at Krogers and at several coffee shops. We don't even have any decent coffee shops anymore here and Krogers quit selling Kenya AA a few years ago.

About the only thing I'll drink now is Dunkin Donuts brand whole bean coffee. It's nothing like a good Kenya AA, but it beats the other junk at the supermarket. I've tried instants before and could not stomach them. I will give Kava a try though.

i'm use to folgers my self..have a hard time dealing with others.especilly off brands.YUKE!!..

About the only thing I'll drink now is Dunkin Donuts brand whole bean coffee

those Keurig coffee makers have a "Donut Shop" coffee that is pretty damn close to this.

I recently bought my first jar of instant for the bob. Haven't tried it, and hope I won't have to, but I agree with alabaster, any coffee is better than no coffee. I just started looking for a percolator recently, and haven't found one yet. I remember my mom heating one on the stovetop as a kid, and want the ability to to have fresh coffee even over a campfire. If things ever get really bad, it would be nice to have a few familiar comforts still.

I recently bought my first jar of instant for the bob. Haven't tried it, and hope I won't have to, but I agree with alabaster, any coffee is better than no coffee. I just started looking for a percolator recently, and haven't found one yet. I remember my mom heating one on the stovetop as a kid, and want the ability to to have fresh coffee even over a campfire. If things ever get really bad, it would be nice to have a few familiar comforts still.
Brent S- You can get coffee plants on line and grow your own beans! You would like that better. The thing to do is to dry your beans then you just grind it up! As far as a percolator look in the camping section any place. I got mine at Wal mart last year for only $17 or so. It makes great coffee!!

Brent S- You can get coffee plants on line and grow your own beans! You would like that better. The thing to do is to dry your beans then you just grind it up! As far as a percolator look in the camping section any place. I got mine at Wal mart last year for only $17 or so. It makes great coffee!!
I thought coffee grew in high mountains, although I'm at 1500 ft here. I was surprised that my walmart didn't have a percolator in the camping dept., but it's a mid size one, I'll check a super walmart the next time I'm near one. I think my wish list on amazon is almost at the free shipping minimum also, may check there.

I thought coffee grew in high mountains, although I'm at 1500 ft here. I was surprised that my walmart didn't have a percolator in the camping dept., but it's a mid size one, I'll check a super walmart the next time I'm near one. I think my wish list on amazon is almost at the free shipping minimum also, may check there.

Don't for get to check Bass Pro and Cabela's! When you get a chance type in grown your own coffee beans on Amazon and you will see many options! I was surprised to see them to! Customer reviews were pretty good! I am going to give it a chance! Good luck with your quests:)

i checked out the Kava and only thing i don't like about it..is its in a glass jar instead of plastic..and that means i need to wait till i have a plastic jar to transfer it into before i'll put it into my bob or a bhb..don't want glass or coffee every where..lol..we have 2 small plastic jars of peanut butter,in which we're working on one of them.and yes i save ALL plastic jars with lids..mostly for screws/bolts/nuts and nails.

I thought coffee grew in high mountains, although I'm at 1500 ft here.
Arabica beans grow at high altitude near the equator where there is little change in seasons and the nights are cool and the days warm...year round. Robusta beans are hardier and can grow at lower altitudes. I think they still need a fairly constant climate though.

Here is one of the "Grow your own coffee" arabica plants on Amazon.
"The coffee tree requires temperature of 65-80 degrees F. Thus, the coffee tree is a tropical plant."
http://www.amazon.com/Arabica-Coffee-Bean-Plant-Grow/dp/B000ND7DTK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392245149&sr=8-1&keywords=grow your own coffee beans

Last edited:
Hey if you can't find a percolator, just tie your coffee grounds in a jelly bag or some muslin and toss into a pot of water to 'simmer' over you campfire. That's how I made coffee during Rita times. Best coffee I ever had. . . but that was my opinion since I was without for a couple days because I bugged out to my Uncles house with pups. I have stayed home since for hurricanes and still have the same response. . . I think it is because I have to do the little extra and it just seems to taste better.

Hey if you can't find a percolator, just tie your coffee grounds in a jelly bag or some muslin and toss into a pot of water to 'simmer' over you campfire. That's how I made coffee during Rita times. Best coffee I ever had. . . but that was my opinion since I was without for a couple days because I bugged out to my Uncles house with pups. I have stayed home since for hurricanes and still have the same response. . . I think it is because I have to do the little extra and it just seems to taste better.
Good to know, I like having multiple ways to make something work. I'll find a percolator eventually! I wonder if you could find a reusable pouch of some kind for this? I guess a piece of t shirt would work in a pinch. I know when you improvise (or macgyver) something, the satisfaction makes it that much better!

Good to know, I like having multiple ways to make something work. I'll find a percolator eventually! I wonder if you could find a reusable pouch of some kind for this? I guess a piece of t shirt would work in a pinch. I know when you improvise (or macgyver) something, the satisfaction makes it that much better!
Yeah! I finally found a percolator in a store, hopefully I'll never have to use it but you can never be too prepared when it comes to the life and death things, like coffee! I
image.jpg

I see you've been working in the kitchen again. Stonework looks good

Thanks, yeah I don't sit still well. Heck, if I didn't make wine I'd never get any rest! You know what's cool though, my whole life I would either build or restore a house, and every time I finished it I would sell it and start over. This time I think I'm here to stay. I think I'm going to downsize into a small cabin on the back of the property and maybey rent this place, but with all the things I've planted and the pond and greenhouse and stuff, I am too invested (and old) to even want to start again.

Danil54grl, I know the feeling! If something takes a little extra, or you come up with a way to overcome an obstacle, you feel GREAT for doing it and it just makes everything a little better. Like struggling to get a fire going. Once it's going, BOOM! I feel like a million bucks.

jimLE, I know what you mean about the glass, too. I agree on the portability aspect. I do like the TASTE of things in glass better though. I transfer some into a plastic bag or other container when I go camping. I have a gazillion containers that I keep around for leftovers and what not. I do like glass though. I'd keep it in glass if I wasn't 100% sure I'd break it!:oops:

By the way, you're pretty observant! I'm impressed you picked that up from 1 picture. Counter tops are next on the list.

I am a woman. . . of coarse I am observant when it comes to the kitchen! lol That is my domain and I am wanting to update mine in the (hopefully near, just not holding my breathe) future

Latest posts

Back