John Deere LA165 Riding Mower-Intermittent Spin/No Start

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mml373

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I have the riding mower mentioned above, and when I try to start it, the engine will spin, then stop spinning. Sometimes if I monkey around with the throttle lever while holding the key in the start position the engine will spin intermittently again and it'll get enough momentum to start. If I leave and come back to it, it'll sometimes start.

The battery checked bad, so I replaced it hoping it would solve the problem, but it did not. Brand new battery, same issue. Starter solenoid is brand new as well. Any thoughts on what may be going on? It's almost like something electrical in the starting chain is not making good contact. I don't see anything obvious.

Last edited:
I don't know anything about that particular mower, but first thing I'd look for is a loose connection, broken wire, etc. on the starter circuit (anything between the starter switch and the starter motor). Or anything else that can interrupt the starter but not the ignition.

I have the riding mower mentioned above, and when I try to start it, the engine will spin, then stop spinning. Sometimes if I monkey around with the throttle lever while holding the key in the start position the engine will spin intermittently again and it'll get enough momentum to start. If I leave and come back to it, it'll sometimes start.

The battery checked bad, so I replaced it hoping it would solve the problem, but it did not. Brand new battery, same issue. Starter solenoid is brand new as well. Any thoughts on what may be going on? It's almost like something electrical in the starting chain is not making good contact. I don't see anything obvious.
Is the mower deck fully disengaged?

Ben

I don't know anything about that particular mower, but first thing I'd look for is a loose connection, broken wire, etc. on the starter circuit (anything between the starter switch and the starter motor). Or anything else that can interrupt the starter but not the ignition.
He needs to check that pesky switch that verifies the brake pedal is all the way down. :(
Neighbor had one that wouldn't spin and the little metal arm that activates the switch was bent.
I bent it back straight.... good to go! :thumbs:

And the seat switch.

He didn't mention any problem with it staying running once it starts, so it seems unlikely it's something that affects the ignition as well as the starter. All seat switches I've seen disable both the starter and the ignition, the point being that the engine quits if you get up.

I would write an answer, but the OP never seems to come back so.................................

It's not even 2 hours since he posted. Maybe he has actual work he needs to get done and he can't babysit a computer all day.

He didn't mention any problem with it staying running once it starts, so it seems unlikely it's something that affects the ignition as well as the starter. All seat switches I've seen disable both the starter and the ignition, the point being that the engine quits if you get up.

It's not even 2 hours since he posted. Maybe he has actual work he needs to get done and he can't babysit a computer all day.
thanks for sticking your nose, in , I spent a bunch of time looking in parts books etc for his last question, no reply ,

Seat and other switches won't even let it try to start! Fuel issue?!
Nah, it's acting electrical. When I finish other work today I'll try and get under there to check the brake switch and the wires to the starter.

I'm baaack...
ok, check for voltage on both sides of the solinoid, block the traction wheels off the ground and try by passing the solinoid, that way you can figure out if it is a power problem or a safety circuit problem, if it cranks when you by pass the switches, just work through the saftey switch set and find and correct the problem,

Ignition is my other thought! Don't doubt my mechanical knowledge and experience because I'm female!😉
is it a thought or intuition??

is it a thought or intuition??
Thought! I Just put a different ignition in an old Murray garden tractor, Briggs twin two carbs!🙁 It was doing the same thing. I cleaned the magneto, it has no safety switches, the solenoid and voltage regulator tested good. Took an ignition off one of our parts mowers and bingo, our firewood hauler is back in action!!

Thought! I Just put a different ignition in an old Murray garden tractor, Briggs twin two carbs!🙁 It was doing the same thing. I cleaned the magneto, it has no safety switches, the solenoid and voltage regulator tested good. Took an ignition off one of our parts mowers and bingo, our firewood hauler is back in action!!
2 carbs, thats gotta be fun, at least when it does run well it will sound nice

I think it's stupid, but it can haul a wagon full of firewood out of the woods! It was running on only one carb when we got it!
redundancy??

I had a JD lawn tractor that ran good a couple summers.. It rode rough as could be. Then the next spring it started needing a battery, then a seat switch, then the switch that kills the mower clutch if you try to back up, then an ignition switch, then a charging system, then start over...

I got rid of the lawn tractor and got my JD855 compact diesel tractor with mower deck.. It cut faster, smoother cut and ride, less fuel, and was as easy to get into corners and all as the lawn tractor.. Then got the same sort of set up with the newer JD2032R compact tractor.. It was WONDERFUL...

Ignition is my other thought! Don't doubt my mechanical knowledge and experience because I'm female!😉
A bad contact in the ignition switch could cause such a problem as described in OP, and is a somewhat common problem.
Nah, it's acting electrical. When I finish other work today I'll try and get under there to check the brake switch and the wires to the starter.

thanks for sticking your nose, in , I spent a bunch of time looking in parts books etc for his last question, no reply ,
Will work on diagnosing the issue per guidance in response to my question, later today. Thank you, everyone.

A bad contact in the ignition switch could cause such a problem as described in OP, and is a somewhat common problem.
I suspect that might be it. What's the fix?

This mower has been down more this season than working. It's been an expensive nightmare...bought used and probably could have just bought a brand new one and had the same money in it...plus warranty. Probably not going to be buying another JD. Seems these do more to fund the local dealer's service shop than anything else, and it usually comes back with a new problem.

I suspect that might be it. What's the fix?

This mower has been down more this season than working. It's been an expensive nightmare...bought used and probably could have just bought a brand new one and had the same money in it...plus warranty. Probably not going to be buying another JD. Seems these do more to fund the local dealer's service shop than anything else, and it usually comes back with a new problem.
It’s a relatively common part. Pull the old key switch and bring it to parts store like Napa, they should have a suitable replacement.

Before doing that - I’d use a jumper wire on all the safety switches to rule out any problems there.

Also, Pearl is right about the circuit board. They can be a nightmare.

Most of the non dinosaur age JDs have an ignition board too! Not very cheap to replace. We have an LX255 that we replaced the board on, that mower always has some type of issue!
That model number and the problems sound very familiar.

I bough one of those for $150 complete with mower deck in good shape. I tried everything in my bag of tricks to get it running. Then I figured it had to be the circuit board. By that time I’d had enough of it and sold it for what I had into it, not counting my time.

/rant

Rambling… here’s what I’ve learned about John Deere’s:

Their riding lawnmowers suck.
Their farm tractors are ok
The commercial grade (yellow) loaders are good.

Rambling… here’s what I’ve learned about John Deere’s:

Their riding lawnmowers suck.
Their farm tractors are ok
The commercial grade (yellow) loaders are good.
Yes. My experience with this riding mower was a big reason I went with a blue tractor. I will not buy another piece of JD equipment unless it is maybe a 50 year old mechanical farm implement. The prices are ridiculous especially in light of the fact they're taking jobs from US citizens.

Frankly unimpressed with JD. Parts for this mower have historically taken quite some time to arrive after order. I can get new parts for a 50 year old New Holland rolabar rake in 3 days or less, if they're not at my New Holland dealer already.

Last edited:
OK...so the report back to the group is that this appears to be an ignition switch issue. The switch on there is only a couple years old, but it is not surprising that it did not last. I looked at the brake/parking brake setup and didn't see anything that looked bad. Played with some connectors. No change. Pulling up and out on the key starts every time.

I'll order a new switch and we'll see if that finally solves the problem. FINALLY being the operative word. Maybe I can get a reliable season out of this mower in 2025...2024 was a bust.

Now that the OP has the issue resolved, hope you don't mind a little thread drift.
I got rid of the lawn tractor and got my JD855 compact diesel tractor with mower deck.. It cut faster, smoother cut and ride, less fuel, and was as easy to get into corners and all as the lawn tractor.. Then got the same sort of set up with the newer JD2032R compact tractor.. It was WONDERFUL...
Which do you like better? I have the 855's slightly smaller brother and I'm pretty sure I won't part with it for a newer JD (and definitely not a new one! - Screw JD for how they treat customers). A friend came over today with his 4052 to do stump removal and pull down a massive tree. Sweet ride but he's had problems with it, mainly related to DEF components.

Back