Killing animals

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like squirrel dumplings, never had squirrel pie. But yeah... that damned hair that just sticks. My uncle used to singe the hair off of them before skinning, but I can't stand the stench of burning hair.

I like squirrel dumplings, never had squirrel pie. But yeah... that damned hair that just sticks. My uncle used to singe the hair off of them before skinning, but I can't stand the stench of burning hair.
I never had squirrel dumplings or squirrel pie but they sound delicious!! I have eaten fried squirrel and it was great... tiny but great.

Sweater, have you ever thought about running a class on rural living (hunting, skinning, dressing, cooking, and all the other things one needs to survive)? I know I would attend it!! I'm not joking... I would.

I've kind of thought about it, but really, how many people want to come to Nowhere, MO and work their butts off?

And actually right now would be a good time to do it, we're breaking a couple of horses to drive singly and in a team as well as dealing with the canning and all that good stuff.

I've kind of thought about it, but really, how many people want to come to Nowhere, MO and work their butts off?
I'm getting in the car now... well actually, it looks like I just got a job at my son's school yesterday!!! (I will find out for sure in the next few days ... and if I get it I will be starting immediately) I wish I could though!! What about next summer or maybe during spring?!? I could even help you develop PowerPoints and structure your curriculum and your assessment guide lines and other useless educational jargon crap!

Hey, isn't Nowhere, MO right near IthinkIpassedit, MO?

Congrats Bravery! Doing a hoo-hoo dance for you now. You know if I were to do something like what you suggested, I think I'd rather just have 1 or 2 people at a time, keep it more personal. Does that make sense?

Now you can keep a hairy eyeball on your boy at school and home, he's going to love it!

congrats on the job Bravery
Thanks Ma'am, I have been looking and looking. It has been a trying series of events. Some of the jobs I would have been PERFECT for...and not even an interview. I just don't understand -- I can guarantee you that the others couldn't come close to my resume. Just frustrating!

Congrats Bravery! Doing a hoo-hoo dance for you now. You know if I were to do something like what you suggested, I think I'd rather just have 1 or 2 people at a time, keep it more personal. Does that make sense?

Now you can keep a hairy eyeball on your boy at school and home, he's going to love it!
Small classes does make some sense... especially at first. I'm glad your actually thinking about doing this.

Yeah, my son's first words after I told him that it looks like I'd be working at his school is "Oh no... I won't have to be in your class will I?" I told him ... "Well normally no... because it looks like I'll be teaching 7th and 8th grade Language Arts... but I talked the Principal into moving you back into the 7th grade. So, I guess you will!!!" :D

LOL, yanked a knot in his tail!

I would want to keep things very small scale I think, after what happened to that guy who was kind of doing the same thing. No one had cared what he'd been doing for years until he got put on some reality show and then the **** hit the fan for him.

LOL, yanked a knot in his tail!

I would want to keep things very small scale I think, after what happened to that guy who was kind of doing the same thing. No one had cared what he'd been doing for years until he got put on some reality show and then the **** hit the fan for him.
What guy was that? And I think you have better sense that appear on a reality show... you of all people... I can hear you now... "What did you say to me? I am going to reach down your throat and grab a hold to your intestines and see if can turn you inside out!"

For the life of me, I cannot think of the guy's name, but he ran this farm/self reliance thing and ended up shut down. I'll have to look the guy up.

I wouldn't let a reality tv show anywhere near me. I don't have regular tv, just Netflix, so I don't really watch much of anything, but I am amazed at the volume of reality shows and the variety of dumb **** they film. Mustache Wars... WTHeck? Really? I thought it was a joke, but it's real!

And you're right, that's pretty much how I'd re-act to someone coming at me with a camera.

I'm a massive animal lover and a druid which makes it so much more entertaining to get over that fact, but I bless my food and I realize, something dies so something survives.

Hey Kenny,
Do you like the taste of sour milk too? LOL...

On a serious note... I really have enjoyed this thread. The life experiences of all of you is really incredible. I wish I could have experienced some of them growing up... or even now. I have handled game but never skinned it (I would... just never really happened). I've never been hunting... though on second thought I have shot and killed squirrels before... that was more of a nuisance killing (the squirrels were getting up into the roof and making nest). And I have to believe that killing a squirrel is much easier than killing a deer. Even the experience of killing a chicken is something I haven't experienced yet.

I do indeed enjoy sour milk. They call it sour cream. I also eat rotten milk and they call it cheese!!! hehe. zing!

I've cooked up as few squirrels in my life time, but never a raccoon. We have them around here, seen their prints, just never seen one.

well danil..if ya just sit out side at the right time of night..then you'll see um...lol..even thoe i never ate one..i do hear that racoons are good eating ..i need to get some live traps so i can catch at lwast 2 of them,just so i can find out..

Jim, the best way to clean a turtle is to cut the head off and use a hose clamp to attach the end of a water hose to the open stump, pulling the skin up around the end of the hose and clamping it down. Turn the water on the the skin will separate as the turtle blows up a balloon. As to cooking them... I don't know too much about it because I don't care much about them.

The trick with raccoon is to make certain that you get the musk glands out in one piece. There's 4 of them and they look like little navy beans. I cooked up the one I cleaned on Sunday and tasty, tasty, tasty. According to my Hubs, it tastes like roast beef.

About a month ago I tried to kill and gut a squirrel and I failed miserably. I just have this connection with animals where I totally lose it if I have to put it down or kill it. It didn't help that what I had to kill/gut looked just like my Miss Lily. I can admit that I cried like a baby and walked away. My hubs wasn't very pleased and I get why.

Tonight, I'm going to try at it again. A person is far different than an animal (in my eyes) and I really hope that I can get past that moment of connection.

Wish me luck and I'll keep ya'll posted. :/
Hey. I am like you in some ways. . .I used to cry over the lose of an animals life. I had a dog that caught a rabbit and broke its neck. . poor thing died in my arms. Hunny was going to get rid of it, cause he knew it hurt my heart, but I stopped him and told him that was food. Some days you just have to buck up.

Point is animals are food and take advantage when you can. My thoughts on them have been changing over the years, with us getting some or slaughter purposes. I love them, but they can also provide much need nutrients. And honestly, home grown beef is no like store bought. Give me home grown that I know what is feed anytime. There is no comparison, hands down!

About a month ago I tried to kill and gut a squirrel and I failed miserably. I just have this connection with animals where I totally lose it if I have to put it down or kill it. It didn't help that what I had to kill/gut looked just like my Miss Lily. I can admit that I cried like a baby and walked away. My hubs wasn't very pleased and I get why.

Tonight, I'm going to try at it again. A person is far different than an animal (in my eyes) and I really hope that I can get past that moment of connection.

Wish me luck and I'll keep ya'll posted. :/

Just make that the husband's job then... ;) That's the benefit of being in a group, even if only a group of 2. Different specialties.

And start with fish, as an animal to kill and gut. We humans have a weird attachment to things with fur.

Point is animals are food and take advantage when you can. My thoughts on them have been changing over the years, with us getting some or slaughter purposes. I love them, but they can also provide much need nutrients. And honestly, home grown beef is no like store bought. Give me home grown that I know what is feed anytime. There is no comparison, hands down!
Preach On Sister Girl!

Just make that the husband's job then... ;) That's the benefit of being in a group, even if only a group of 2. Different specialties.

And start with fish, as an animal to kill and gut. We humans have a weird attachment to things with fur.
I love wearing fur in the winter!!!

Latest posts

Back