Last stop at the store!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think city folk realize just how many people live out in rural areas, and how resourceful they can be. They have to be, because often, what they need is a major excursion away, not just a quick zip to the store.

A lot of other factors though. I'm guessing you were in a more rural area, and of course, there was full confidence the power would be restored?
In a city, and without that confidence, I'd expect things would fall apart a LOT quicker, especially if the idea was that power loss was permanent.

Oh I agree,my reply was to state that his numbers was over-exaggerated.But you are right,I am rural and we did have confidence and I agree that the medically dependent and large cities would fall faster,I just don't think the death rate would be as high or as fast as was indicated.

We've all seen bad events such as katrina where all chaos breaks out,but we've also seen bad events such as 9/11 pull communities together for the good of all.I'd like to think there's more 9/11 helpers in the general population than katrina savages,but no doubt,there will be both.

I would agree with this basic advice though...

Best have everything already cached, and avoid people altogether, for a year after shtf

I'm not sure it would take a whole year for things to shake out to some kind of stability, but it probably isn't a bad guess. After the hiding period, I'd rather be part of society's rebuilding, but during the chaos, staying out of sight, out of mind is likely the way to go. Maybe a little bit of HAM chatter, to set things up, but not staying on long for triangulation, etc.

Latest posts

Back