• Two New features staring today. - The first will security lock account if user didn't login for two years - The second will warn and security lock account if password found in data breach ( even if user is recently active) .. it will also warn users about weak passwords during registration. The compromised is from a data base list, and not from anything on this forum. If you are logged in all the time, this will not effect you. It only works when logging in.

Latest Scam Attempt...

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Horton

Old Bush Bear
Neighbor
It has been a while since I have gotten any spam calls or texts on my phone..
Today there was a new one I had never seen before..

It was a text supposedly from USPS, US Postal Service, saying they had a package for me with an ..incomplete address.. and needed me to fill in the form, name address, e-mail, phone etc so it could be sent out for delivery again.. It came with a tracking number like ..US123456789.. When a tracking number starts with ..US.. that means the package was mailed from the US and sent to a foreign address.. Like packages from US to Canada the number starts with US and ends with CA..

I figured something was not right about this looking at the phone number it came from.. Them asking for a ...postal code... instead of a (US) Zipcode...

So I called the local post office to verify the tracking code, and it was fake..

Facts, details, experience, thoughts.. ??

It was a text supposedly from USPS, US Postal Service, saying they had a package for me with an ..incomplete address.. and needed me to fill in the form, name address, e-mail, phone etc so it could be sent out for delivery again.. It came with a tracking number like ..US123456789.. When a tracking number starts with ..US.. that means the package was mailed from the US and sent to a foreign address.. Like packages from US to Canada the number starts with US and ends with CA..

I figured something was not right about this looking at the phone number it came from.. Them asking for a ...postal code... instead of a (US) Zipcode...

So I called the local post office to verify the tracking code, and it was fake..

It's not new, I have gotten them before, your name just finally floated to the top of their list. :(
The quick giveaway is when you get it in your email... and they ask for your email address:LOL:.

Edit: Fresh from today :D :
Screenshot_20240703-020918_kindlephoto-332165949.png

Last edited:
I got that & went though the whole process until they ask for a Credit card for the overdue post cost.
I do not give out my CC to just anyone, I only went that far because I had a package on its way & thought that was it.
I call the company that I had bought the product from & they informed me that it could not be their package.
First, the package was not ready to ship & still in their care, second, I had paid the full shipping cost in the the price of said product.
Well, I almost got took, so I get at least one scam a week in my email.
I just delete them, NEVER open them, they are so transparent it is not funny.

My email has a feature where I can click on the senders email address and then block that sender. Unfortunately, they can create a new email address for little time and no money. That is okay, I like whack-a-mole.

we used to get calls , from numbers that were close, (call display spoofing) one I got a call from my own phone number. Of course I answered it just in case I had figured out time travel of teleportation, sadly The other I had a strange accent and little to no eitheric based knowledge.

I just got that yesterday..delete. by by

Lots of scamming and phishing going on. I received new CC and Debit cards this week from my credit union, even though the ones I had were not set to expire for months. Credit Union also has had seminars to help older members be more savvy. Older people seem to fall victim more than younger people, but we can all fall for it. USPS has been used by scammers for quite a while now.

In the vein of scammers, I also periodically get calls from Russia and other places, and I absolutely never answer calls from unknown numbers. If you ever get calls and decide to answer them, some will ask questions where they want you to answer "Yes," instead of another answer. "Is this Joe Blow?" "Yes." On the other hand, "Is this Joe Blow?" and you can answer, "This is Joe Blow." They somehow need a yes answer. I never get that far because I don't answer strange numbers. I have a message on my phone that if they are a legit person, leave a message with a number and I will get back to them. With so many calls, rarely get a message.

we used to get calls , from numbers that were close, (call display spoofing) one I got a call from my own phone number. The other I had a strange accent and little to no eitheric based knowledge.
== ==
I used to get the Indian English second language calls saying ..we will send RCMP to arrest you for non payment of taxes.. One day I was in a mood and answered in the same bad English ..I have not payed any taxes.. why would you do this to a fellow countryman.. does you mother know what you do.. may your favorite cow die..

The real RCMP fraud department said, don't do that as they will use your number to make thousands of calls.. But it was still fun once..

I received an email from Amazon for a few weeks ago that looked so legit that I had to seriously analyze the message to figure out how they faked it. I knew it was a scam because I do not have an Amazon account under that email. Turned out that the email, which came from [email protected] and linked to a near perfect clone of Amazon's website, was indeed a scam. The little a in Amazon had been replaced by a Cyrillic letter or number that looks basically the same. The big money scammers are getting better. A lot better. And they also put put the easy to spot scams so we become confident.

I had an opposite thing happen, ordered some stuff from the US, I misread the shipping provider as UPS when it was USPS, and their system won't take a po box, number AND our rural addresses don't cross over on this end. And the ultra helpful thing was the tracking link wouldn't work from A .CA internet provider.
We can fake the Apollo moon landing but not ship stuff??

My email has a feature where I can click on the senders email address and then block that sender. Unfortunately, they can create a new email address for little time and no money. That is okay, I like whack-a-mole.
I am fortunate that I pay for good email service and Earthlink.net does a great job of filtering out spam.
If you notice in the screenshot I posted is a button that says: "back to Known spam".
I had to fish that one out of the toilet to post it.:rolleyes:
Several months ago they added one button that quickly became my favorite:D:
Screenshot_20240703-135324_kindlephoto-346519842.png
You no longer have to check all the boxes to flush the toilet, just pull the handle. :)

Some days when you really need a chuckle, pick out one of your spams to read... :LOL:
The Nigerian scam letter is so yesterday:rolleyes:...
Update! :thumbs:

United Nation Organization
Information Section.
760 United Nations Plaza,
New York, NY 10017, USA.
RE: DOCKET NO. OP 292.
Our Ref: UN/BKL/STB

IMMEDIATE RELEASE OF YOUR FUND $10 MILLION USD ONLY VIA ATM VISA CARD.

Attention: Sir/Madam,

We wish to inform you that your email has been chosen as one of the previous scam victims in the past. The United Nation, World Bank, and Paris club have instructed United bank for America New York, to process and release your restitution worth of USD$10,Million, through an ATM CARD

We are very sorry for the plight you have gone through in the past. Kindly get back to me for further instructions.

T/C applies.

Thanks for your time and remain blessed.

congratulations!
Yours Sincerely,
Rebeca Grynspan
U/N/ Secretary General

Question: How long would it take you to withdraw $10million from an ATM machine?:dunno:

Some days when you really need a chuckle, pick out one of your spams to read... :LOL:
The Nigerian scam letter is so yesterday:rolleyes:...
Update! :thumbs:

United Nation Organization
Information Section.
760 United Nations Plaza,
New York, NY 10017, USA.
RE: DOCKET NO. OP 292.
Our Ref: UN/BKL/STB

IMMEDIATE RELEASE OF YOUR FUND $10 MILLION USD ONLY VIA ATM VISA CARD.

Attention: Sir/Madam,

We wish to inform you that your email has been chosen as one of the previous scam victims in the past. The United Nation, World Bank, and Paris club have instructed United bank for America New York, to process and release your restitution worth of USD$10,Million, through an ATM CARD

We are very sorry for the plight you have gone through in the past. Kindly get back to me for further instructions.

T/C applies.

Thanks for your time and remain blessed.

congratulations!
Yours Sincerely,
Rebeca Grynspan
U/N/ Secretary General

Question: How long would it take you to withdraw $10million from an ATM machine?:dunno:
Assuming $1000 per day limit...

Over 27 years

Ben

I am fortunate that I pay for good email service and Earthlink.net does a great job of filtering out spam.
If you notice in the screenshot I posted is a button that says: "back to Known spam".
I had to fish that one out of the toilet to post it.:rolleyes:
Several months ago they added one button that quickly became my favorite:D:
View attachment 156734
You no longer have to check all the boxes to flush the toilet, just pull the handle. :)
Most of the emails I block are already in the spam folder. I check my spam regularly as occasionally an email that I want goes into spam. Some of these just keep coming so I block them. I can delete up to 50 at a time by clicking on the sender box. I’d rather not deal with spam. Since I started doing this the amount of spam that I get has greatly diminished.

I’ve recently read that the new wrinkle is that they will try to record you and use AI to clone your voice.

I placed an order for the fist time with Temu 10 hrs later I receive a SMS that I must pay a local courier R16.13c approx. ( $1 ) i contacted the courier company , was a scam , When the parcel arrived in the country 6 days later there was a SMS for local tax , i checked this was correct , interesting within the 10 hours my cell number had been handed over to scammers somehow :cry:

Latest posts

Back