Life of Peasants in Medieval Times (short read)

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would challenge every one here to find something they built in the medieval or even frontier days and build them give them away or sale them just to keep the skill going .

Plantain is also used on bee stings and rashes. If you soak the leaves in cold water and put them on a burn they will help keep the skin from peeling off. Dandelion is in the euphorbia family dogbane = white sap = poison but while it IS edible, if you eat too much of the greens they will give you diarrhea like a bad dog. The sap will also get rid of Plantars warts if you file off the top, exposing the seeds and put the sap on them and cover with a bandaid.
One of my other favorites is mullein - verbascum http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verbascum_thapsus The flowers can be soaked in olive oil for 2 weeks to make an ointment that is the best for arthritis, bone and blood bruises, the stalk can be rubbed with tallow or lard to make a 'hags taper' candle wick, the leaves when steeped and strained through a coffee filter(to get rid of the tiny hairs) will get rid of the worst case of diarrhea.

Plantain is also used on bee stings and rashes. If you soak the leaves in cold water and put them on a burn they will help keep the skin from peeling off. Dandelion is in the euphorbia family dogbane = white sap = poison but while it IS edible, if you eat too much of the greens they will give you diarrhea like a bad dog. The sap will also get rid of Plantars warts if you file off the top, exposing the seeds and put the sap on them and cover with a bandaid.
One of my other favorites is mullein - verbascum http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verbascum_thapsus The flowers can be soaked in olive oil for 2 weeks to make an ointment that is the best for arthritis, bone and blood bruises, the stalk can be rubbed with tallow or lard to make a 'hags taper' candle wick, the leaves when steeped and strained through a coffee filter(to get rid of the tiny hairs) will get rid of the worst case of diarrhea.
Since discovering I have a green thumb but knowing I have a short memory for details, I've been studying medicinal herbs and just planted Feverfew, Chamomile and Lemon Balm last week. They are already almost an inch tall! I type up as concisely as I can all of the uses for each, print it and put it in a folder in alphabetical order. If it ever came down to having to pick plants in the wild, I think I would be hopelessly lost. I haven't been able to match up any pictures with the wild "weeds" I've located so far. I do plan to grow many of these things to sell at the Farmer's Market. Does that count for your challenge, psalm?

Dandelion is in the euphorbia family dogbane = white sap = poison but while it IS edible, if you eat too much of the greens they will give you diarrhea like a bad dog.

I have use every part of dandelions for various reasons (cooking, wine and medicinal purposes) for much of my life and never had that problem nor ever heard anyone getting sick from it.

wife lived for many years off grid until she was 12 years old(no mains water, electric, sewers, anything), I managed an off grid family smallholding for 12 years, and we both lived with only basic services in caravans(trailers) for several years, and we are both still here to tell the tale, its not hard to do if you put your mind to it, it just takes a bit of adapting to the different situation. I'm not sure if the masses will be able to do this, especially the ones who have never know anything different.
It's true- most people in society don't even have a different experience to compare with. I think living in cities makes it more difficult to do. There are restrictions on almost anything. Even in the suburbs and mountain regions, Though not as prevalent and less monitored. Sewage is 1 that has the more restrictions. In looking at ways to handle sewage, almost any of it has been made illegal without the proper permits (which agencies stubbornly refuse). In spite of this, it can be done. The same goes for water purification and off-grid electricity.
I got around the restrictions on solar hookups by not having a grid-tie inverter and installing my own terminals. I built a solar array that stands separate from the building so they wouldn't impose the building code. The city was going to charge $100.00 for 'inspection' if I attached them to the roof. We are instructed that the cheapest way is to tie in to the grid (not true). After inventorying all our appliances for power-consumption, I realized most home-use stuff on the market is designed with total disregard for economic use. The clothes drier for example; 6500 watts! The water heater; 4200 watts. The list goes on.
I made a point of finding appliances that consume less They are out there, but harder to find. If You have a steady income, Your budget is adjusted to include these money drinking inventions, and they're used because it's just faster- or easier- or more comfortable, and since people will pay for them, no need to change. With my power-consumption at a minimum because of replacing the money-hogs, I only need about 1/4 the amount of panels to supply the house.

I have use every part of dandelions for various reasons (cooking, wine and medicinal purposes) for much of my life and never had that problem nor ever heard anyone getting sick from it.

and I repeat..., if you eat too much of the greens... It's also bad for rabbits if they're used to eating pellets and then you suddenly give them a load of greens. it gives them the runs. I hope that this helps Mav.
Also of note, there are broad-leafed dandelions and thin-leaved dandelions. The BROAD leafed is much sweeter and less bitter then the THIN leafed specie.

Which brings me to a new guy question: what are the best options for accessing a well without power? Are the old fashioned hand pumps still around?
I think so, my neighbour installed a manual pump in his bore about 5-6 years ago.

But what exactly do you mean "without power"? Most bore pumps I've seen run off their own solar panel(s) anyway so the grid is irrelevant.

As for sewerage, if you are on land that's easy, I've been dumping ours into a hollow tree stump for over 2 years now, no problems.

a lot of the old wells in the british rural areas used the good old bucket on a rope attached to a turning handle...hows that for "manual"??:)

You can get the old style hand pumps at most farm supply stores , Rope n bucket are good or the "torpeda shaped thing well diggers use to pull up water . Some modern day homesteaders use a small electric pump and small solar panel and catch water in a barrel .

Latest posts

Back