Look at this aussie preppers bicycle

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some clever things in that article...though I'd never want my living room or bedroom to reflect me prepping.

I hope this doesn't shoot down my prepping cred, and my OPSEC was screwed long ago anyway, but the "Paul" in that article is yours truly :)

I used a nom de plume because I was very sceptical of the way the article would be written, but I think they presented prepping/preppers quite well. It's hard when approached by the media as we've all seen how they can twist even the most bland statement, but OTOH we want to get more people to think about being prepared.

Not sure it's working though, we just went through a cyclone here in Queensland and there were the usual empty supermarket shelves and 3-hour queues for petrol. Oh well.

I hope this doesn't shoot down my prepping cred, and my OPSEC was screwed long ago anyway, but the "Paul" in that article is yours truly :)

I used a nom de plume because I was very sceptical of the way the article would be written, but I think they presented prepping/preppers quite well. It's hard when approached by the media as we've all seen how they can twist even the most bland statement, but OTOH we want to get more people to think about being prepared.

Not sure it's working though, we just went through a cyclone here in Queensland and there were the usual empty supermarket shelves and 3-hour queues for petrol. Oh well.

EDIT: Sorry the the double post, my connection crashed just as I submitted and I hit the GO button a couple of times.

Last edited:
Bikes can be a good adition to prepps . Glad my son went through a phase where he was picking up old bikes here and there and putting them togeather . Now he's into cars and I have a storage shed full of bikes and bike parts . Im not buying Him a bunch of project cars He will have to make do with my hand me down back and forth to work cars .

Nomad, Peters Bike is a cool as your truck its sublime, simple, and superb if you know Peter send him my greatest respects, you Aussies are bloody ingenius.

You got lucky cos the Daily Mail UKs version on prepping absolutely slated our community.

You got lucky cos the Daily Mail UKs version on prepping absolutely slated our community.
At first I thought they were the same mob and said no way, but they convinced me they were not out to slag preppers so I took a chance. I was happy with the result.

I don't "know" Peter as such but we both frequent at least one forum (his :)), I can PM him and say g'day for you.

I would appreciate that. The bike is bloody brilliant, actually for this drowded island such a bike would be superb, but illegal.

I would like to get a better look at the bikes power source. I live in mountains, and it may be fun to go downhill, but at 51 yrs old, the climbs suck! That might make riding here possible.

If I understand it correctly it is an ordinary mountain bike fitted with a 12 volt dv hub powered by a suitcase genny fastened to the rear cargo rack, simples.

I would like to get a better look at the bikes power source. I live in mountains, and it may be fun to go downhill, but at 51 yrs old, the climbs suck! That might make riding here possible.

If I understand it correctly it is an ordinary mountain bike fitted with a 12 volt dv hub powered by a suitcase genny fastened to the rear cargo rack, simples.
So do you think the suitcase is a battery? I used to see some small units many years ago, but they were short range. This thing getting 65 miles is practicle. I'd like to look into it more.

No Sir, look at the photos again you can see a picture of the owner of the bike pulling on a starter cord of a miniature petrol powered generator, we call then suitcase gennys in the UK, it looks to me like he is directly powering the 1000 watt hub from a tiny petrol generator lashed to the bikes cargo rack. You get about 90 minutes running time on one fill of the tank, so one full tank and a small extra bottle of petrol ( gas) will easily give you a 100 mile range.

Ping Grey Nomad, !! Can you get your friend to post the details of his electric bike to here please?

I like the gas engine over the battery. Yes it may make noise, but in an emergency it would be alot easier to to find gas than electricity for recharge. I'm thinking this thing would just be a fun toy, prepping aside.

Ping Grey Nomad, !! Can you get your friend to post the details of his electric bike to here please?
I told him you guys would like more details.

I don't know anything about it but most of those small generators have a 12v output for battery charging, maybe he runs that to the motor.

Them suitcase gennies over here are almost silent, they have to be to pass UK laws for use on quiet caravan / trailer parks, lashing an 100 watt genny to a 1000 watt hub is pure genius .

I guess you can keep the battery and just use the genny for charging it and/or running when noise is not an issue. At other times the battery gives you stealth mode.

I have a small trailer for my mountain bike, that would allow the transport of a lot more gear (albeit slower and harder work), but with a trailer full of food and a few goodies you could live under the radar for months.

Even if you can't live off the land as such you can live in the land for ages if you can find a water source (no problems for you NR I assume :)) and have 50kgs of dehyde meals.

Latest posts

Back