lost my way to the country living sister-forum

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VThillman

Geezer
Neighbor
Yesterday I installed linuxmint on my computer. Somehow, I ended up without the 'dual boot' feature, so Windows 10 is inaccessible now. Actually not a big deal, but I have forgotten the Internet address for our sister forum. Will someone please advise me?

Yesterday I installed linuxmint on my computer. Somehow, I ended up without the 'dual boot' feature, so Windows 10 is inaccessible now.
Did you install Linux and tell it to OVERWRITE any existing operating system installations? Or did you tell it to install ALONGSIDE existing installations? If you installed it alongside, and can't access Windows now, it's probably a simple issue to mess with the bootloader to re-gain access to Windows. But if you OVERWROTE existing installations, well, that's not so good.

Can Linux access your Windows partitions and you just can't BOOT Windows? Or is everything gone (e.g., you old partition table was overwritten, klobbering everything)? Lot's of questions. If it's just that Windows can't boot, that should be easy to fix. If things got really klobbered, realistically, you won'tr be able to get everything "back to the way it was". But some information would probably still be retrievable. But you have to stop writing anything more to the disk for this to be feasible.

Default installations of most every Linux distro will not klobber an existing Windows installation. They take great pains NOT to. But you CAN tell the installer to do exactly that if that's what you want (on purpose or by accident). If you accidentally hit "klobber mode" and have important stuff to try to recover, STOP writing to the disk now. Shut the computer down. Use a different computer while you're figuring out what to do. Do nothing rash. What may appear hopeless to you may not actually be hopeless, but could become hopeless if you go off in wrong directions. And ask for help before proceeding further. Se the website link below.

Hopefully you had a backup if you had valuable information on your disk klobbered. This forum is not you best place for you to get help on this (assuming you need/want help in the first place). Go over to http://www.linuxquestions.org instead.

Mint is in its own partition. There doesn't seem to be a 'bootloader' with choices for the OS to boot. I don't much want to run Windows, but I would have saved some files to DVD if I had known. Anyway, no worries.

Mint is in its own partition.
The your Windows is safe.

There doesn't seem to be a 'bootloader'...
There is.
... with choices for the OS to boot.
That's the issue. "with choices for the OS to boot". That can be fixed.
I don't much want to run Windows...
Smart man!
but I would have saved some files to DVD if I had known.
Those files are still there, safe and sound in your Windows partition, if I understand everything you said correctly.

Linux can easily mount and read your Windows partition (and write to it too, if that's what you want). You don't have to boot Windows to be able to read those files from the Windows partition. Then you can burn a DVD, of your Windows files, but you'll be burning it from Linux. Windows can read (some) Linux partitions if you install some stuff and jump through hoops. However, Linux car read Windows partitions without those hoops. I do it all the time.

If you bring up the "file manager" GUI in LinuxMint, it will look something like the screenshot below. There are all kinds of different ways you can customize a file manager, so yours may not look exactly like mine. But you should be able to figure things out. The area in the red circle is where you should find your Windows partition(s). Just double-click on one or more of those devices and you should be able to read them. If you end up looking at something foreign, just double-click on one of the other things until you run into your Windows stuff. If you did indeed klobber your Windows partition during the Linux install, this simple method won't work. But it doesn't hurt for you to go look and investigate. Once you have access to your Windows files, it's a simple matter to burn them to a DVD, email them, copy them to a thumbdrive or external harddisk, or whatever else you might want to do.

file_manager.jpg

Latest posts

Back