Medicine questions???

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LGirl07

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Hi guys and gals I have read that certain fish treatment medicines are exactly what humans use and can be obtained at a pet store with no prescription. So my question is what are the names of these fish products and what are they compared to for human meds? And if you can also find dog medicine for humans please??

This is a common discussion, but beware that this is at your own risk. There are obviously differences between animal and human antibiotics, but how big these differences are can be disputed. We have some members here who have used fish antibiotics, so you might try a search for the topic, or the words in an entire thread.

I am also curious about this. We have talked about people stockpiling meds for their prepping supplies. Everything from diabetes, HBP, steroids, antibiotics, and tons of other medications. The biggest problem we are often running into is that there aren't doctors who are willing to write a prescription for antibiotics or anything else for that matter, unless you have a diagnosis that demands it. Some folks are getting RXs in 90 day intervals, which is definitely a step in the right direction.

Have you looked into holistic/natural remedies? There are a lot of books out there that cover the medicinal uses of plants, and many plants, penicillin included, are made from naturally occurring molds and such.

Doc is one of the best ones to ask about this. Try more towards the feed stores too, in more rural areas, as they may have more options (and more folks who actually used them for humans). We've used quite a bit of horse medicine for human ailments (in altered doses of course, and with advice of a registered nurse).

Ive heard that they are the exact same medications used for humans. Check out Dr Bones and Nurse Amy videos on Youtube, they have a website as well and they talk about stuff like this. They also have an awesome book on survival scenerio medical situations.

I use LA 200 in animals around here for infection, but have to be very careful not to get stuck by the needle while cleaning. . . it causes severe joint pains eventually. I have seen the effects in a cowhand. But interesting question

Liquamycin LA-200 (oxytetracycline injection) is a sterile, ready-to-use solution for the administration of the broad-spectrum antibiotic oxytetracycline (Terramycin) by injection

I don't know if this will help But for a year now, I have been starting to use oils for various things. I was introduced to this by my new "fiance" who uses and sells "doterra oils".
The ones I have tried do work and there are hundreds. A good book of explanations as to the oil, what's in it and what it's for is "Modern Essentials", a contemporary guide to the therapeutic use of essential oils. Fourth edition. From www.aromatools.com . In my use and reading I have been amazed at some of the ingredients, uses and the success of them working.
I posted some info on medicinal plants and usage. These oils are some of the same using plants and spices in a mixture that works together to get the same results.
I use a few of them and they do what they are advertised.
If you'd like I can post some of the oils and what they do.
They have been used for hundreds of years because the ingredients have been used for longer by american indians and back to and beyond the egyptian days. Today these have been tested and in some cases reworked to get better results. Let's face it, when god created man and woman he also created everything we need to help us survive and live a healthy natural life. It's all natural coming from nature and man and woman are supposed to be living in harmony with nature and not using man-made meds that really don't work because the man-made stuff is meant to "make money", nature is meant to take care of us as we are to take care of nature.
The system wants you to use the stuff that "makes money" and when we use stuff that comes from nature it's mostly free and nobody makes much money. The drug manufacturers or "modern day drug cartels", they don't like anything that is good for you and doesn't make them money.

I will post more soon. Maybe add to the post "medicinal plants and uses".

Sorry, getting off the original topic.

i've never been intrested in fish oils and/or meds helping me in some way or another..im more along the lines of herbs that i can buy in a store,or grow my self.and learning how to mix them and useing them right along with when n where when needed..i came across one site that i like.it even has a section on certain trees.and shrubs..

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q...pvt=medicinal+plants+and+their+uses&FORM=IGRE

Last edited:
An option for those taking serious pain meds. Grow poppies (Papaver somniferum specifically). Perfectly legal to grow as ornamentals. You can milk these for opium, but the act of doing so is illegal. But, come SHTF, who will care? Until then, just keep them growing....

Latest posts

Back