Mush

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psalm 7

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Start with cornmeal mix 1 cup with 1 cup cold water . Bring 3 cups water to a boil then stir first mixture in simmer for 10 miniutes covered . Then what you do is up to you some like salt and black pepper , some cheese , I like half stick butter and add sugar for breakfast . This is a old dish used since frountier days and if you are old school prepper and have your own corn grinder you can make your own corn meal . This can be cooked out in the field in a mess kit or at home on the stove . You can chill and slice then fry it like pan cakes or spread it out thin and drop it in a deep frier to make your own corn chips .

Made a prepper breakfast this morning (trial run) . I made this and fried salt pork (cured bacon) to have with it . I did change this just a little , I read in a outdoors magazine that you add the cornmeal mixture to 5 cups of boiling water instead of 3 and get a better texture .

I`m so glad you started this thread, here what you call "mush" we call "pap" the british would call it "porridge". Your meal is made from "corn" here called "maze" or "mielie meel". We boertjies love the stuff with a "braai" barbeque. There are many, many ways to prepare it. The three main ways are "slap pap" its close to a thick cheese sauce but still runny, loved at bearfast with a small amount of butter, sugar and milk, add extra cup of water. Number 2 "Stywe Pap" much stiffer when you let it cool down you should be able cut it in slices like bread, its probably the most popular. Its mostly eaten with a sauce made from fresh onions and tomatoes. Then we make something called "pap tert" rough translation would be corn pie. In this could go a lot of things, but mainly it would be mushroom, slices of tomato covered with cheese on top, inside would be pieces of bacon, mushrooms, you can put any type of meat inside. The last one but my vavourite "Krummel Pap" it has a very crumbly texture. The best pot to make it in is cast iron pot the other pots can get burnt real bad if you get it wrong. You can find real good recipies for "pap tert" on google if something looks real good and you want to try it and the recipie is in Afrikaans i will gladly translate.

You can also use cornmeal or mazemeal for longterm food preps you can pre cook it so as to have it ready as an instant meal later. What you do is you take a microwave bowl as big would fit into the microwave fill it to about 2/3 of the way, microwave it for about 10min (do not add any water), stir it through once or twice, a bit of steam will come of the batch. To test if its its ready take a bit add some hot water untill you get that porridge like consistancy, if it still tastes raw microwave again untill you are satisfied. We put te pre cooked batches in a 25 liter container with some other goodies.

30 Multi Vitamin Tablets (Small sealed packet)
1 Packet of matches
1 Small packet of salt and sugar.
1 Small brick of lard, lightly salted (bowvine) about 4 inches long 2inch wide and 1 icnh thick. (This is very important, the brain runs on oils and fats if you are only going to eat cornmeal, you are going to run into trouble) The lard can be replaced with a good Omega 3 or 6 vitamin pills (30). The lard can also be used for chapped lips.
You can add some sweets to it as well the small hard sugary ones. Here we call them Sparkles.
When you gonna store any cornmeal or dry stuff like rice ect, you can add candles. Parrifin Candles it prevents meal mites from hatching, we have stored mazemeal, rice, breadflour for over six years now, and we have had no bugs in them.
Now seal the container, put a bit of silicone sealant in the lid to make sure it is airtight.
One container should last one adult one month.
You can ad about 3 candles to a container. The last one right at the top.

Last edited:
uploadfromtaptalk1441086325903.jpg

These are the containers that we use, these particular ones are filled with dried dog food and rolled oats.

Latest posts

Back