Off Grid Energy development

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would be interesting to see if they solved the key challenges though....

1. Longevity (eventually have to replace the batteries).
2. Cost

It'll never happen, Exide will buy the patent and shelve it, isn't that what they did with NiFe batteries? Although they are out and about these days so somebody f*cked up :)

Re longevity, even Tesla has no incentive to develope a battery that lasts forever...but I still live in hope, hope that I can afford a bank of NiFes that is..

That's kind of the interesting thing about the Tesla company though. Not so easily just bought out.
Here in FL though, our power companies have bought and paid for the Governor (and most of the State Legislators), so at least while he's in office (and them), we won't see solar in the "Sunshine State" anytime real soon, as a viable alternative.

It'll never happen, Exide will buy the patent and shelve it, isn't that what they did with NiFe batteries? Although they are out and about these days so somebody f*cked up :)

Re longevity, even Tesla has no incentive to develope a battery that lasts forever...but I still live in hope, hope that I can afford a bank of NiFes that is..
Hi Grey. I think the patent must have expired, as there are companies making them here in the states now. I googled the NiFe, and a place in Gainesville Fla. is producing them, and others around the country. I'm pretty excited about the idea.

Yep he invented them, and AFAIK some of his are still working, that's what, 80+ years and counting. Yeah I assume the patent ran out.

They have many advantages and I'm thinking of using them in my next system (for the container house). Not cheap but bullet proof, easy to charge, and garranteed for 30 years last I looked, so if you stay in one place you will get the value, not so if you move and leave them behind though.

This is possibly a huge step towards independence. With a combo of solar and hydrolic from the creeks it might be an option. Even though it's expensive, I don't feel as bad since it lasts so long. Regular batteries going 5 yrs at best seemed kind of wasteful.

Latest posts

Back